Diff/tranny fluid change

iHooligan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
Hey all, planning on doing a tranny fluid change because when shifting it nibbles and is kind of hard to get into second: and was going to do diff fluid as well. Do I need to add fords friction modifier if the bottle I’m going to by has it in it already? And what fluids do you guys recommend?
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
BG Syncroshift II in my sig in both the transmission and differential. There is a vendor on here that has a nice kit for both and makes the install a breeze. @Optimum Performance

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....Do I need to add fords friction modifier if the bottle I’m going to by has it in it already? And what fluids do you guys recommend?
Nothing else other than the BG Synchromesh. It's specifically formulated for the MT82s. Don't add anything else, or you could grenade your transmission.

OP
OP
iHooligan

iHooligan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
Nothing else other than the BG Synchromesh. It's specifically formulated for the MT82s. Don't add anything else, or you could grenade your transmission.
The friction modifier was for the rear diff my bad

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hey all, planning on doing a tranny fluid change because when shifting it nibbles and is kind of hard to get into second: and was going to do diff fluid as well. Do I need to add fords friction modifier if the bottle I’m going to by has it in it already? And what fluids do you guys recommend?
yes you will need the friction modifier or else the clutches will chatter.

I recommend getting a simple 75W90 gear oil then adding the modifier that way. Dont buy the ones with it already added. Also Sometimes with our diffs you need more than one bottle to quiet it down. At least that was the case on the s197. I suspect the s550 is the same so start with one bottle drive the car a week and listen if it starts chattering add the other bottle.
The chattering is very obvious it's a clicking noise during low speed cornering.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The friction modifier was for the rear diff my bad
I'd leave it out of the diff too.

There's specific lubrication properties that have to be kept, due to the different metals and other materials in both your trans and diff. The BG stuff is GTG as is, and if you mix something else in, it's impossible to know what the mixing of those different fluids may cause to happen. There could be some chemical properties that change from mixing the different stuff together.

Just my $.02

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Buy the BG kit that Optimum Performance sells. Get the LS differential fluid, because it has the friction modifier in it already.
Not using a friction modifier will make your differential loud and clunk a lot.

OP
OP
iHooligan

iHooligan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
Buy the BG kit that Optimum Performance sells. Get the LS differential fluid, because it has the friction modifier in it already.
Not using a friction modifier will make your differential loud and clunk a lot.
Ahh I ended up buying Royal Purple Gear oil. I guess it has friction modifier in it already. But I did buy fords friction modifier as well just in case

7Leugas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
Ahh I ended up buying Royal Purple Gear oil. I guess it has friction modifier in it already. But I did buy fords friction modifier as well just in case
If you don't mind me asking... How did the Royal Purple gear oil & Ford friction modifier work for your car's Diff? Any distinguish in the oil change?

OP
OP
iHooligan

iHooligan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
If you don't mind me asking... How did the Royal Purple gear oil & Ford friction modifier work for your car's Diff? Any distinguish in the oil change?
I didn’t use the modifier I read you don’t want to since it royal purple added it in already. But I’m 2k miles in with it in the diff and tranny. And diff feels great. Tranny is really smooth I’m warmer weather. When it’s cold out side it nibbles in 2nd

Sponsored

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
At 8400 miles I put BG synchro shift in my trans and Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110 in my differential.

I didn’t notice any change in the way the trans shifts but mine never felt too bad to begin with. I didn’t add any friction modifier to the diff either and it seems perfectly happy with the Amsoil.

yote41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
So if going with RP, BG, or Amsoil you dont need friction modifier?

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
If you have a performance pack Mustang with a Torsten diff, which is a gear type diff with no clutches, you do not need a friction modifier added.
Sponsored