Sponsored

Randy Pobst Twitter Today

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
@ VIR for sure, thats one of the tracks the GT500 will shine, long straight. With Randy driving, I wouldnt doubt him getting a super fast lap time, I just dont think it will be 2 seconds within Billy Johnsons Ford GT 2:38 time.
when/do they/he usually post the times? I would have thought that was part of the review
Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Randy was pleased wasn't he. Called it a supercar. Who am I to argue?

/Mid-engined shmid-engined.

OP
OP

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
Majority of that difference is the tires. The base GT500 tires are okay for daily driving, way better than the cup2 and will last longer.
Majority of that difference is the CF wheels.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
@ VIR for sure, thats one of the tracks the GT500 will shine, long straight. With Randy driving, I wouldnt doubt him getting a super fast lap time, I just dont think it will be 2 seconds within Billy Johnsons Ford GT 2:38 time.
i don’t think Randy Pobst driving a GT500 at VIR would be within 2 seconds of Billy Johnson driving the GT500 at the same track.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
i don’t think Randy Pobst driving a GT500 at VIR would be within 2 seconds of Billy Johnson driving the GT500 at the same track.
You think Randy is leaving more than 2 seconds on the table? That's a significant difference. I would be surprised if the difference was more than 1/2 a second. I think the pro drivers are all very good at getting to the limit of the vehicle.

-T

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
You think Randy is leaving more than 2 seconds on the table? That's a significant difference. I would be surprised if the difference was more than 1/2 a second. I think the pro drivers are all very good at getting to the limit of the vehicle.

-T
It could go either way. Depends on seat time. Billy has alot more seat time. Could be possible either way

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Let me act as a C6/GM user for a moment-

MT/RP love GM.
Test C8- "turning the car world upside down" -- but not really on a track, it actually needs a lot of work, they cant post lacking #'s. That would be a big hit to the hype all by itself. Then, they also see the GT500 is coming down the pippe.. its junk, its gonna be junk, GM is king anyway, but still, they learned they can only retest so many GM cars before eventually someone will notice every lacking test has an excuse or reason why it did so bad.. But trust us, GM sent a different completely equal/ unchanged car, and this one wow'd us. Well, not wow, but did awesome. Just we have no data to back it up..ever, trust us

So then RP gets the GT500 the other day.. they saw a lot of fantastic reviews.. uh oh.. Holy S***! 10.6 130+ 1/4 mile? this car might be good. base car- its F-N awesome. too awesome to be called a "base" anything.. but we cant say that, if base is this good, what about the $20k upgraded one? no way its a trackstar too. Ok, lets get this over with. Base is good, really REALLY good.. too good, again.. so lets pull some punches and keep it in line with the ZLE. So thats how that went. RP ran it hard, but not as hard as he could have. Onto the CFTP - oh boy- at some point the enthusiast outweighs the bias, and you just want to see what it can do.. and maaaaan, it can dooooo..

So anyway, thats why we have no #s, if we use Camaro6 logic.. the car slaughtered the GM products, and he didnt go as hard as he should have with the base.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

-T
it was an excagwration to make a point. 2 seconds is way too obvious.

rsndys great at getting a vehicle to the limit when his bias doesn’t prevent him.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
it was an excagwration to make a point. 2 seconds is way too obvious.

rsndys great at getting a vehicle to the limit when his bias doesn’t prevent him.
saying he has a bias is just an excuse. Thats what Ralph Gilles thought too cept it was Randy who ended up breaking the record in an ACR at laguna seca.

If anyone has a bias its general motor trend. Randy is just a hired driver. I dont care if he bought an ugly 2019/2020 camaro, that shit was probably discounted to under 20k.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
saying he has a bias is just an excuse. Thats what Ralph Gilles thought too cept it was Randy who ended up breaking the record in an ACR at laguna seca.

If anyone has a bias its general motor trend. Randy is just a hired driver. I dont care if he bought an ugly 2019/2020 camaro, that shit was probably discounted to under 20k.
nah. It’s just the truth. You can see him sweating buckets trying to wring every last tenth out of Camaros. He just doesn’t have that level of effort in him when he drives Mustangs. He drives like he’s going for a spirited cruise. When he’s driving a Camaro, he’s driving like his life depends on it.

He doesn’t work at Chevy Trend for nothing. They keep bringing this same driver back again and again. He’s great when he needs to be it isn’t above sandbagging. Let’s see them hire out BILLY Johnson and see what the Mustangs do.
Better yet, let’s have Randy drive a Camaro and Billy drive a Competing trim Mustang and see where things land. Bet it’s a whole lot different than Randy driving both.

and of all the cars he could choose for a DD, he goes and gets a 4banger 1LE. LOL

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone has a bias its general motor trend. Randy is just a hired driver.
When someone (general Motors Trend) hires you to do something you give them the results that they wanted and payed for.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
nah. It’s just the truth. You can see him sweating buckets trying to wring every last tenth out of Camaros. He just doesn’t have that level of effort in him when he drives Mustangs. He drives like he’s going for a spirited cruise. When he’s driving a Camaro, he’s driving like his life depends on it.

He doesn’t work at Chevy Trend for nothing. They keep bringing this same driver back again and again. He’s great when he needs to be it isn’t above sandbagging. Let’s see them hire out BILLY Johnson and see what the Mustangs do.
Better yet, let’s have Randy drive a Camaro and Billy drive a Competing trim Mustang and see where things land. Bet it’s a whole lot different than Randy driving both.

and of all the cars he could choose for a DD, he goes and gets a 4banger 1LE. LOL
yep, the two GT350R vs Camaro videos you can see where he loses time in the R and isn’t pushing as hard as in the chevys.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Right, so everyone who buys the carbon and ZLE are idiots? All they had to do is buy new tires?

You really need to stop with things you obviously don't understand.

LOL. Seriously. The cftp also has specific damping, spring rates, etc.

“nah. It’s just tires. I can’t put those tires on my bicycle and go faster.”

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
If you look at the spring rate changes percentage-wise, the delta is rather small. This isn't complicated. The biggest potential gain lies in the tire. Without a good tire the other changes mean little as you simply can't take advantage of them.

Adding Cup2's to a base car will definitely make it faster. Adding CFTP springs or bars while staying on 4s's....not so much.
Sponsored