Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Kevin - the video above is absolutely superb! It is exactly what I like to see and hear. Thank you for sharing and capturing those moments on that day. I loved it and hope you'll continue to do those in car, in depth vlogs.

ChiefDork

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2013 Mini JCW
Hi Brad! Here you go! https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-engine-refresh-time.115139/

post some video and I might be able to help you narrow it down. The valve train is pretty noisy, so it might be nothing
I appreciate the offer. I agree, the valve train is and always has been noisy. Last week, a new clacking sound that is local only to the driver's side popped up. I hope to have time this weekend to pull the valve cover and look around. I might not have time since I will be reading your other huge thread! I will report anything unusual. It would be an interesting data point if we shared the same failure.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I appreciate the offer. I agree, the valve train is and always has been noisy. Last week, a new clacking sound that is local only to the driver's side popped up. I hope to have time this weekend to pull the valve cover and look around. I might not have time since I will be reading your other huge thread! I will report anything unusual. It would be an interesting data point if we shared the same failure.
Hmmm. Is it a flutter-type clack? Or super rhythmic

ChiefDork

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm. Is it a flutter-type clack? Or super rhythmic
It is intermittent, but when it happens, it happens when I lift off throttle.
I think "flutter" is a good word to describe it, but that word also works for the normal noisy nature of the valve train. The noise we are writing about is louder than the constant valve train noise and it only lasts until the revs return to near idle speeds. As I am writing this, I realized that I hear it only when the engine is cold. Just to reiterate, this is a new noise.
When I start it, I always wait until the revs drop down to their normal ~700rpm before driving away.

I have two track days at Sebring under my belt and I noticed essentially zero oil consumption. I thought I was home free as far as engine gremlins (~14k miles total) but I may have rejoiced too soon. Tomorrow I should know more.

ChiefDork

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Endeavors that result in only gained knowledge are still worth doing. This is my first foray into anything mechanical on the GT350 besides oil changes and it is quite different from the 1965 Mustang I sold in order to acquire it. Seems that moving forward, I am going to have to add some special Ford specific tools to my toolbox in order to do any real disassembly.

After removing the valve cover, I could see no damage. I was limited in what I could see so I do not have a complete picture of the state of the exhaust valve springs.

The wiring harness is attached to the valve cover via some press-in zip tie things. Does anyone know the name of those so I can order some more?

I find it funny that the only thing keeping me from buttoning everything up today and going for a drive is a broken dipstick tube that was broken BY a Dipstick! Fortunately, the tube did not fall back into the block and a new one is only $10.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
With your mods and the sound-deadening removed, from your in-car audio it sounds like a completely different engine, but in the best way! Congrats on the beast lap time. What size are the Pirelli DH slicks?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
With your mods and the sound-deadening removed, from your in-car audio it sounds like a completely different engine, but in the best way! Congrats on the beast lap time. What size are the Pirelli DH slicks?
If you remove the stock radio the car sounds very different.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Kevin - the video above is absolutely superb! It is exactly what I like to see and hear. Thank you for sharing and capturing those moments on that day. I loved it and hope you'll continue to do those in car, in depth vlogs.
Glad you like it! Hopefully will be able to get more from my track time this month as well :)

It's soooooo loud in there now. Like my passenger could yell at the top of their lungs and I'd have no idea there mouth was open loud. Definitely feels like a race car, now! :)

And in the video, 305/690/19s.

If you remove the stock radio the car sounds very different.
The more you remove, the rowdier it gets :)

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
I still love visiting this thread. Such a wealth of information.

Are you still running the Ford Performance sway bars? If so, do you have a preferred setting you run or are you adjusting them based on the track? I apologize if that information was posted and I missed it.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I still love visiting this thread. Such a wealth of information.

Are you still running the Ford Performance sway bars? If so, do you have a preferred setting you run or are you adjusting them based on the track? I apologize if that information was posted and I missed it.
I used to run front on full soft and rear on full stiff, but I've since changed to full soft front and rear since I turned advancetrac off. The rear end was super twitchy without stability management. Here's a recent video. You can see how much more it moves around:

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Kevin, since your car is gutted and in race trim, have you put it on the scale? How light did you get the car? 3300lbs?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Kevin, since your car is gutted and in race trim, have you put it on the scale? How light did you get the car? 3300lbs?
I haven't yet. It doesn't feel 3300lbs light, but I'm thinking around 3500 at the moment. I've been able to remove some big ticket items (door glass, seats, etc.), but I don't think we're at miraculous levels yet. Ideally, in the future we'll start replacing lots with composite parts and get it much lower.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I've read through the whole thread. Just insane! Keep up the good work. I hope to start tracking the R some. What trailer do you use to bring the car around with? Thanks

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I haven't yet. It doesn't feel 3300lbs light, but I'm thinking around 3500 at the moment. I've been able to remove some big ticket items (door glass, seats, etc.), but I don't think we're at miraculous levels yet. Ideally, in the future we'll start replacing lots with composite parts and get it much lower.
I’ve read that u are going full cage. What does that weight, my guess 100 - 125lb?