Sponsored

How much can a Stock Clutch Handle and Aftermarket Options

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There are a few options for 18+ Mustangs. I would like to know if any big power manuals here on the 18+ MT82 see slippage and at what power level. Or if any of the people here have an aftermarket clutch what would you suggest going to.
Sponsored

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
LOL 24 HRS and no reply ok....

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
LOL 24 HRS and no reply ok....
Not an 18 and not big power, but mine gave up after a cpl months at only 622rwhp. Replaced with a Mcleod RST which has held up fine since.
drives pretty much like stock.

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not an 18 and not big power, but mine gave up after a cpl months at only 622rwhp. Replaced with a Mcleod RST which has held up fine since.
drives pretty much like stock.
I don't know how much different the hardware is but all I see are dual clutch set-ups for aftermarket. Is yours a dual clutch?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
The RST is twin disk, not dual clutch. It has held up fine for me (700ish wheel) but it chatters like crazy at low RPM. That's a twin disc thing in general.

Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
The RST is twin disk, not dual clutch. It has held up fine for me (700ish wheel) but it chatters like crazy at low RPM. That's a twin disc thing in general.
My rst is quite, before breaking in it was a little noisy in reverse but now it's quite no matter what.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few options for 18+ Mustangs. I would like to know if any big power manuals here on the 18+ MT82 see slippage and at what power level. Or if any of the people here have an aftermarket clutch what would you suggest going to.
My factory clutch failed with just a na\tune because of launching on slicks. I went and suggest on getting a McLeod RST. My RST seems to be holding up very well since I installed the supercharger. I only made 7 FI passes but so far so good! I'd stay away from the RSX, it is known for breaking trannys.

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
No big power here as well but I’ve been at 530ish whp for about 16k miles with no issue whatsoever.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No big power here as well but I’ve been at 530ish whp for about 16k miles with no issue whatsoever.
I think the stock clutch would be fine up to 600 rwhp, if your not drag racing it on slicks! Let's face it, no oem clutch is going to hold up to 5k dumps, especially with FI!

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I thought my factory clutch was going out so I changed it and found out it was still like new. It was the Trans that just sucks, lol. I went with an RST and I have no complaints at all. I love it, it doesn't chatter and it holds stock power just fine. In the spring I'll be making over 800rw so I'll play with it till it dies. If the Trans Lives, I'll call McLeod and have them sell me the RXT ceramic discs.

I get so much crap for going with the RST because people think it's inferior to the RXT but there's literally no difference except organic vs. Ceramic. If the Calimer Trans Dies, I'm going to an auto. I don't care, I'm Trans Fluid, lol.

Sponsored

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Stock clutch on my Whipple 17 with 700whp lasted me a year. It never failed or slipped once. I pulled it out for a Mantic once I turned the car up to 750whp and the clutch still looked perfect. No launches on it but a whole lot of roll races. Tried an RST and it was terrible. Slipped constantly.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t comment directly on the 18 but my 17 was fine for 12 months with a Whipple until I had the wick turned up on the tune. Lasted less than a month after that.
As others have said, launching on slicks is gonna kill it pretty easily.
Boost type and tune will also dictate longevity. A TVS blower with a tonne of timing at the bottom will kill it in seconds if it hooks.

Dalton@Evolution

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dalton
Vehicle(s)
First 2020 GT500 In Da 9z
It really depends on how the car is driven. I haven't seen any 2018 manuals going fast or after any records. How do you plan on driving it and how much power do you want to make?

OP
OP
illtal

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It really depends on how the car is driven. I haven't seen any 2018 manuals going fast or after any records. How do you plan on driving it and how much power do you want to make?
It's not a drag car, I'm just planning out my mods essentially. More power = something likely breaking. I'm Curious what the manual guys are experiencing and what they are using when they do replace parts.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Mines a 17 but I’m at 748HP with zero issues on stock clutch. Kenne Bell’s been on for about 16k mikes now.
Sponsored