Sponsored

Tune - expectations

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So I've been running the Ford power pack 1 tune for over a year. I put this on the car shortly after purchasing so I didn't have much seat time with the stock tune. I did notice in D that it was more willing to downshift, but other than that, I couldn't tell a difference. A dyno may have shown otherwise and the local drag strip has been flooded out all year. So I couldn't compare time slips to see if there really was an improvement.

I took advantage of a Black Friday sale and got a PBD Ngauge to try something new. I did state to PBD I wanted drive-ability to be priority. The car is a street car/cruiser first with only limited auto x or HPDE usage (like 1 a year again if the track isn't underwater). Gone through a few logs and now on the 3rd revision. Honestly, the car drives exactly the same as the FPP tune. I seriously can't tell the difference even at WOT pulls. It's an auto so i did expect maybe firmer shifts at WOT at redline but really nope. This is not a knock on PBD, so please don't read it that way. I just want to set my expectations. I'm no tuner.

On my old 15 GT car i had a lund tune and i would say the biggest difference with them is the up'd the redline and really firmed up the shifts even under normal driving. Again, other than that, I really couldn't feel a difference. I did specify with PBD to just leave it at 6500 rpm shift points. With Lund, they gave me the firm shifting and a OEM shift logic tune just for those lazy days.

So guys that have just bolt ons or stock with tune, do you feel the aftermarket tune was beneficial? What were your expectations and were the met?
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Yes, the aftermarket tune was beneficial because Lund has the tune down solid for 93, flex, and E85 with multiple intake options. The only real difference you're going to see is something that only a dyno could measure. Flash both tunes on and do a few dyno pulls and see if there is a difference. It's probably hard to tell with just your butt alone.

Just the other day my car went sideways a bit in third gear on the 93 tune with full bolt ons and an 18 manifold. Granted it was a bit cooler outside so my tires weren't super warm, but the tune is definitely doing something.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
When you tell them you want daily drive-ability to be the priority, they aren't going to up the shifting firmness so you're probably only able to really blame yourself for that bit. BUT, a 15hp gain on a 435hp car is less than a 5% improvement, there probably is somewhat more throughout the power band so it'd be more like 10-15% improvement.

With my car (V6 so obviously different), there was a big difference to me immediately and a lot probably comes from the shifting behavior honestly.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
To be honest, your expectations might have been a little too high. With the same mods, going from FP tune to another aftermarket tuner, there isn't going to be much difference. You also can only get more power as your fuel and ECU will allow. If its knock limited as you usually are on 93 octane, it's not going to make more power. Go to an E85 tune. That you'll feel, and not just on the top end.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I'm from the Omaha area. Maybe we could meet up and compare notes?

OP
OP
Commbubba19

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'm from the Omaha area. Maybe we could meet up and compare notes?
Sure bud, just send me a message. Weather's been great this week. I got another revision today so i'll try that out. Turn around time with PBD has been great.
Sponsored