The Definitive Ecoboost vs GT gas mileage thread

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
On e85 I average about 11.5mpg, on pump 17 or so. This is mostly city. Highway I’ve never take then car anywhere on e85 so only pump and the best is 27mpg heading back from SoCal to Vegas. Had a decent 20-30mph tail wind most the way. Total average on trip 2 since I bought the car new is 16.1mpg. Use to be over 19 until I found e85 ;)
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
My intention was to give real world data for someone who might be crunching numbers. Might not be valuable to you but what is on the sticker and what is more realistic can make a difference for some people. Granted it is all about the driver but I think you get where I am going.
Ok, but wouldn't anyone see what their own real world mileage is? Not saying your info is worthless, but these are Mustangs not Honda Civics. I still think the window sticker tells the same story as your data and sorta makes your data moot or at best redundant. Now you if had mentioned that you just confirmed what everyone would know by looking at the sticker info, that would be valuable. As it is your best MPG for both are very close to the best for each based on the sticker info. So again, I just don't get the point your trying to make. Maybe it's just me? I do appreciate you trying to be helpful though, I just don't agree with your approach.

OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Ok, but wouldn't anyone see what their own real world mileage is? Not saying your info is worthless, but these are Mustangs not Honda Civics. I still think the window sticker tells the same story as your data and sorta makes your data moot or at best redundant. Now you if had mentioned that you just confirmed what everyone would know by looking at the sticker info, that would be valuable. As it is your best MPG for both are very close to the best for each based on the sticker info. So again, I just don't get the point your trying to make. Maybe it's just me? I do appreciate you trying to be helpful though, I just don't agree with your approach.
All good, the internet is full of different opinions. It's kind of like BMW's always being under reported for horsepower numbers. Sure you can read the specifications, but you would still want to see a dyno log right? As mentioned previously, the point is to provide real world data that can be extrapolated for time of year, or if someone wanted to see how much the EB handled with the FRPP tune. That's why I said for people to ask me for anything specific they might want. The original post simply contains real world data over the course of a year (pretty sure EPA doesn't test that long).

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Good morning everyone,

I know this question gets asked a lot and I had been holding off posting anything. As someone who owned a 2018 Ecoboost and now owns a 2019 GT I think I might be able to help a lot of people with real data. I love collecting data so I have every fuel-up I have had in every car logged for the most accurate results possible.

My commute has remained the same over the course of the data logging and I even took the same trip at the same time of year. I travel from Toronto to Chicago every November for Thanksgiving. Both cars have completed that trip and were used to drive me to and from work, along with weekend errands etc. I live in the city of Toronto so the vast majority of my driving is in the city. You could estimate 75% city and 25% highway. The only thing to keep in my mind is I had my Ecoboost for about a year and my GT is getting to six months in a few days but it should be pretty accurate.

• Both cars were filled with either 91 or 93 based on what was available.
  • The Ecoboost was given the Ford Performance Tune in the last three months of my ownership.
  • The GT has been driven more (it's objectively more fun for me) and driven slightly harder

Long story short:
  • The Ecoboost has better efficiency in the city by approximately 2-3 litres per 100km. Based on my driving habits.
  • The GT and Ecoboost are very similar on the highway but the Ecoboost is slightly more efficient by 1-2 litres per 100km.
  • You will need to fill up the GT more often depending on your driving (highway vs city, etc.)

Here is the data for anyone interested.

Ecoboost

• 32 Total Fill-ups
  • 8.1 Litres/100KM is the best efficiency I achieved with the car (29 MPG)
  • 12,817.6 Total KM's (7964.4 Miles)
  • Average cost per KM $.0142 ($0.228 cost per Mile)

GT

• 20 Total Fill-ups
  • 9.2 Litres/100KM is the best efficiency I achieved with the car (25.5 MPG)
  • 7,296.5 Total KM's (4,533.8 Miles)
  • Average cost per KM $0.181 ($0.291 cost per Mile)

Feel free to ask any questions you might have, but I hope someone finds this helpful.
Excellent write up man and i concur with your findings. Id like to add that the GT will give 28mpg if you set the cruise to 65mph. And 70-77 mph you can get 26mpg pretty consistently.

I also agree that the huge advantage goes to the ecoboost for purely city driving. Theres no way to cheat physics im afraid and accelerating a 3800lb automobile from A dead stop takes power and fuel.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Do spoilers impact mpg like I mentioned earlier? I saw another thread recently claim gt350 track spoiler reduces mpg by 2-3
My gut instinct would be yes. Since you're adding downforce and drag.

That said you should see greater stability at higher speeds with a wing vs without one and ford like all cheap automakers wont equip a part that does nothing on a gt350. When they can leave it off and save like around 30.00 per unit they sell. That's a massive amount of money for an automaker.

On a slightly unrelated note Ford did an astonishingly good job with the s550 aero. Even on the non gt350 cars. It blew my mind when i found out these cars wheel liners and undertray are designed to duct air for brake cooling.

It's nice that even on a strict budget they included features like that in all the models. On the gt350 the aerowork is even more impressive

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I drove about a year and a half before adding a spoiler.

48733668728_b928b014e3_b.jpg

48733668718_c31b16592a_b.jpg

I didn't see any difference in mileage before and after. But at the same time I also changed the hood and front fenders and trunk lid to carbon fiber, which probably lightened the car a little, and the new hood with functional ram air and heat vents changed the aerodynamics of the air flow through the engine compartment. So with all the other changes, I can't say for certain whether or not the spoiler changes mileage. But I can say that if it did, the other changes I made at the same time canceled it out. (I know, changing multiple variables at once is bad scientific method, but it's good maintenance.)

Last edited:

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I think the value would be to see real mileage numbers before buying, if mileage was a significant concern. For me, mileage was an issue, but it wasn't the only issue, or even the main issue. I knew going in to my Mustang purchase that my commute mileage was going to decrease compared to my previous 2008 Honda Fit Sport because 1) the engine was 53% larger; 2) produced 280% more peak HP; and weighed 56% more. I get that mileage was going to go down, but I didn't really expect a drop from 33 to 22. I can live with it, but still disappointing. I get a little pang of guilt seeing that the GT mileage isn't a ton worse, but I really wanted another turbo 4 and I don't lose any sleep over it. I've got two other V8's in the garage when I want to hear that lope.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
What's the point of these mileage threads considering that driving styles and environment makes a big difference? Some people may not be a fan of the EPA's test but at least the variables are controlled and manufacturers have zero incentives to underrate gas mileage since they have more incentives to cheat in order to overrate.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What's the point of these mileage threads considering that driving styles and environment makes a big difference? Some people may not be a fan of the EPA's test but at least the variables are controlled and manufacturers have zero incentives to underrate gas mileage since they have more incentives to cheat in order to overrate.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
Why does it need to have a point. We're an internet forum. We discuss all sorts of topics regarding our Mustangs. Just read the ones that are important to you.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Why does it need to have a point. We're an internet forum. We discuss all sorts of topics regarding our Mustangs. Just read the ones that are important to you.
Because there's been other similar ones in the past and usually end up in a dick measuring contest. Are people really surprised that a smaller less powerful engine has better gas mileage than a bigger but more powerful one?

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
I have been getting around 22 mpg mixed over last 20k miles in my 2016 GT automatic. Driving is about 25% traffic, 75% rural/highway.

Best I can get on the highway is about 27mpg if you keep it to 65mph.

In comparison my 75 Vette gets around 9 mpg!

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
I don't know how you guys are getting such great MPG on our GT's. I am lucky to get 20MPG on highway. This is a 2018 GT with A10 and 3.55 rear. For the first 10-12 thousand miles, I would average 25-26 MPG but it has dropped down to 20 MPG with 29,000 miles on the ODO. I have always changed the oil myself, air filter, the tires are properly inflated to 34PSI all around. I wonder what is wrong :/
They're full of crap.
I don't even know why this thread exists. The ecoboost will ALWAYS get better mileage

Xtian_Av

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT MT82 2017 Edge Sport
I drive mainly city miles, when had my 16 EB auto that was 93 Race Tuned and I would avg 22 MPG, but a full tank would generally give me 400 miles to empty. I traded for a 19 GT Manual and I stay at 19 MPG, but 300 miles to empty..I haven't taken it on a long trip yet but for my day to day driving overall I have no complaints
Sponsored