Do your doors move on rough roads?

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
If you click on his name there is a section in blue where it states "follow/ignore". Click on "ignore" and you shouldn't see his posts anymore.
Thanks Sound Wave, didn't know we could do that. Fortunately, I've never had need to on the forums.
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
interesting, we donā€™t get the cross brace on the UK cars even though we do get the PP as standard. We can fit the cross brace now Ford have released an official RHD version which Iā€™m intending to fit to help take some of that out.
Hi Tim

Nice to hear from others across the pond.

See if you have the rest of the Performance Pack braces on your car namely, the K Brace on top and the associated firewall reinforcement piece. Then look below to see if you have a K Brace surrounding the oil filter.

If you have those and still get a cowl shake, then order a Steeda lower brace. I have a simple 1 piece brace that connects to the lower frame. Simple to install and stiffens the front end. This may help with your doors moving.

I have them all on my vert.

Thanks

CVCashmere

OP
OP
Tim_

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Hi Tim

Nice to hear from others across the pond.

See if you have the rest of the Performance Pack braces on your car namely, the K Brace on top and the associated firewall reinforcement piece. Then look below to see if you have a K Brace surrounding the oil filter.

If you have those and still get a cowl shake, then order a Steeda lower brace. I have a simple 1 piece brace that connects to the lower frame. Simple to install and stiffens the front end. This may help with your doors moving.

I have them all on my vert.

Thanks

CVCashmere
Thanks, we do get the extra braces in the UK. Thereā€™s one from the bulkhead to the top of each of the suspension towers and the rear under brace (the one which is incompatible with a lot of exhausts). There is definitely no strut tower brace on the UK cars nor as far as I am aware a lower brace across the front axle from the factory.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Thanks, we do get the extra braces in the UK. Thereā€™s one from the bulkhead to the top of each of the suspension towers and the rear under brace (the one which is incompatible with a lot of exhausts). There is definitely no strut tower brace on the UK cars nor as far as I am aware a lower brace across the front axle from the factory.
Hi Tim

There is a lower K Brace that US cars get. Take a look at the one being sold in California as an example of the lower K Brace.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/for-sale-performance-pack-strut-tower-lower-k-brace.131044/

Here is an attachment with picture that could help you.

thanks

CVCashmere

Attachments

OP
OP
Tim_

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Tim

There is a lower K Brace that US cars get. Take a look at the one being sold in California as an example of the lower K Brace.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/for-sale-performance-pack-strut-tower-lower-k-brace.131044/

Here is an attachment with picture that could help you.

thanks

CVCashmere
Iā€™ve been under the car and Iā€™ve got a lower K brace, I also know Iā€™ve got the upper K brace so just missing the strut tower brace (visit to a dealer to order the part)

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Scuttle shake as it is known in the UK is just a side effect of the missing roof and drastically lowered torsional rigidity. The torsional strength of the soft top is about half of the coupe which is 27000 Nm/deg

Completely normal and the price you pay for the convertible in terms of driving dynamics

OP
OP
Tim_

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scuttle shake as it is known in the UK is just a side effect of the missing roof and drastically lowered torsional rigidity. The torsional strength of the soft top is about half of the coupe which is 27000 Nm/deg

Completely normal and the price you pay for the convertible in terms of driving dynamics
Thanks. I may choose to add some extra braces in.

OP
OP
Tim_

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
T

They will not make any significant difference - only a roof will make a difference !
Iā€™m not after coupe levels of performance, just an improvement on standard without fitting a roll cage or a roof.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
A little late to the party, but, yes some door movement is normal. The amount of movement has been substantially reduced over earlier design Mustang convertibles. My 89 Fox moved enough to need silicone lube on the door seals to stop them squaking. Both my 03 Cobras had some but reduced door movement, even with factory subframe connectors. The S550 is a noticeable improvement, but as Gregs24 noted, without an integral roof, there's just gonna be some body flex. People who buy convertibles because they like driving with the top down understand and accept that. Wish there was a more satisfying answer, but put your top down and enjoy the ride

Sponsored

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex-'16 Mustang EcoBaby // Current '16 GT Convertible
Iā€™ve been under the car and Iā€™ve got a lower K brace, I also know Iā€™ve got the upper K brace so just missing the strut tower brace (visit to a dealer to order the part)
Hi Tim,
Looking to ā€˜solveā€™ the same issues here in my Vert EU LHD. Bought the Ford Performance strut brace at the dealer already, but I am unable to see the lower K brace near the belly pan.

is it like the Steeda one or just more simple? I am unable to lift the car and from the sides I cannot figure out where to look and check if I have the lower K Brace or not! Any pictures/help please? :)

OP
OP
Tim_

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Tim,
Looking to ā€˜solveā€™ the same issues here in my Vert EU LHD. Bought the Ford Performance strut brace at the dealer already, but I am unable to see the lower K brace near the belly pan.

is it like the Steeda one or just more simple? I am unable to lift the car and from the sides I cannot figure out where to look and check if I have the lower K Brace or not! Any pictures/help please? :)
I found I could see the lower K brace from the front of the car without needing to jack it up. If you have a look at the image below you can see it, it's the almost V shaped bracket which is right at the front of the car connecting the lower longits with what appears to be the back edge of the front plastic floor pan.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/2018-mustang-underside-jpg.289708/

To add:

https://www.mustang6g.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015-Mustang-GT-K-Brace-Install.jpeg

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/complete-jpg.161035/

OP
OP
Tim_

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A little late to the party, but, yes some door movement is normal. The amount of movement has been substantially reduced over earlier design Mustang convertibles. My 89 Fox moved enough to need silicone lube on the door seals to stop them squaking. Both my 03 Cobras had some but reduced door movement, even with factory subframe connectors. The S550 is a noticeable improvement, but as Gregs24 noted, without an integral roof, there's just gonna be some body flex. People who buy convertibles because they like driving with the top down understand and accept that. Wish there was a more satisfying answer, but put your top down and enjoy the ride
Thanks for the reply, I just didn't know if I was getting 'too much'. We didn't get the strut tower brace as part of the performance pack on the UK cars but Ford have released a RHD version which I'm getting fitted this week.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
An RHD Mustang. Now that's a must see!! Good that some folks in the UK enjoy American muscle.

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex-'16 Mustang EcoBaby // Current '16 GT Convertible
I found I could see the lower K brace from the front of the car without needing to jack it up. If you have a look at the image below you can see it, it's the almost V shaped bracket which is right at the front of the car connecting the lower longits with what appears to be the back edge of the front plastic floor pan.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/2018-mustang-underside-jpg.289708/

To add:

https://www.mustang6g.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015-Mustang-GT-K-Brace-Install.jpeg

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/complete-jpg.161035/
thanks for the pictures Tim!

I see this brace, but this is not the K brace I was expecting.

This V brace is standard in our PP but what I was looking for is the K brace which is located below the headers shaped like a K (see Steeda K Brace). I guess it is not even standard in USA cars with PP.

I am thinking in getting this Steeda or BMR K brace to complete the install in conjunction with the upper Strut Tower brace from FPerformance. Thought you had the first one installed. Is it on your plans after the FPerformance one?
Sponsored