GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think this might be aimed more at those who upgraded their sync2 unit to sync3.

I've found this guide including the downloads, does anyone have any experience updating their sync3 this way ?
Sponsored

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think this might be aimed more at those who upgraded their sync2 unit to sync3.

I've found this guide including the downloads, does anyone have any experience updating their sync3 this way ?
how do you mean? if you mean updating via the usb stick method, yeah i've done it, if you follow the instructions it works just takes ages and doesn't really tell you it's doing it so a lot of people give up.

with regards to this hacked image in the link, I'm not sure. What's actually in sync 3.4 that the old one doesn't have?

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm more interested in getting the maps updated

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm more interested in getting the maps updated
ah of course. can't say i ever use the sync nav, always just use googlemaps through android auto.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The maps do not get updated with the Sync software update. They are separate software updates.

Sponsored

LewisL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT Shadow Edition S550
It's like impossible do update sync 3 I gave up and hair use Android Auto app with it now much better

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's like impossible do update sync 3 I gave up and hair use Android Auto app with it now much better
Can you explain what you did and why the update failed so I don't repeat it ? :like:

LewisL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT Shadow Edition S550
Followed all the instructions on the website

Even gave it to a ford tech and still nope!

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Not had any problems myself on several different cars.

Download the file and extract to an ExFAT formatted drive (faster the better, so I use a USB 3 drive as they tend to have faster chips in them even though Sync only uses USB2)

Remove all other USB devices and plug the drive in before turning on ignition. It will take a few minutes to read the drive and then say 'updating software' on the top of the screen. Takes about 20 minutes to do a Sync update and nearer 45 minutes for maps depending on the file size. usually requires an ignition cycle to finish but it tells you when it is ready.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
the updates are fussy on USB keys / sticks so if one doesn't work then just try another one until it does work. As said above, takes a bit of time to update the Maps but I found it worthwhile as Android Auto is unreliable in use (keeps asking for additional permissions while driving )

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
the updates are fussy on USB keys / sticks so if one doesn't work then just try another one until it does work. As said above, takes a bit of time to update the Maps but I found it worthwhile as Android Auto is unreliable in use (keeps asking for additional permissions while driving )
Don't know what phone you're using but Android Auto never asks me for any permissions once it's started, works well.

Surely everybody uses Google Maps so not sure why it matters about updating the Ford maps?

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Success :party:

The first USB pen didn't work, tried a newer one and it worked fine. Took about 20 minutes to actually do the update, then a few minutes afterwards for the maps to load.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i have a tinfoil hat that I wear and dont allow full unrestricted access of Apps on my phone - some apps work fine with those restrictions, others do not and mostly get removed. Some apps just keep harping on about wanting to read my calendar or my contacts despite the fact they dont need those to work. Other apps of course use root privileges to just read what they want without prompting, I try avoid them but really it's impossible on any Android Phone to do that.

As for Google Maps, yeah it's ok but having it upload every single second of my day to the big data collection is not something I want to do. My preference, I know they get it otherways but that's me and thats why I like the Sat Nav built into the car :)
Sponsored