nahtanoj65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi all,

First time poster here! My name is Jon and I'm from the St. Louis area. I purchased my 2019 Mustang GT PP1 in February this year (my first new car and first mustang!). Unfortunately I've had a bit of a headache in this first portion of ownership due to some issues I've been having.

First issue:
I damaged the 1st -> 2nd gear shift fork a few months into owning the car, I don't drive the car that hard other than taking it to Gateway our local strip a few times (but who doesn't it's a mustang right??). Ford repaired this issue rather quickly which was nice. Only took a few weeks for parts and the rebuild.

Current issue:
It appears I have a few faults on my dash (blind spot monitoring fault, hill start assist fault, powertrain malfunction/reduced engine power), which in return cause the back up camera to not work, reverse lights not working, gear indicator not working, drive modes not working, rev-match not working. I also noticed that the ford pass app can no longer communicate with the vehicle in respect to the GPS location of the car.

It's currently at the dealer in limbo, I believe it's not the best idea to drive it currently as some of the safety features that make up for some of the visibility problems due to the style of car are not working (honestly don't want that to be the blame if something happens out of my control). Bommarito Ford ordered a shift lever as a first step recommended by Ford's Engineering team. Unfortunately, this is on backhander until January. So, driving a fusion for now with the hope that the parts come in faster. I believe this part was ordered as a process of elimination and I don't believe is the solution, but I understand they have to go step-by-step.

I've been searching for diagrams of how the gear position sensor is integrated into this system, because I have a hunch that it's related as it seems to be the one thing that ties it all together in some way. Has anyone else seen/have any issues with this? I love the car, but holy cow this is turning into a headache as I've only actually driven it a portion of the time I've owned it.

Thanks for taking the time to read if you get this far! Just want to see if I'm not alone, or if someone else has seen this to potentially speed up the process
20190530_184833.jpg
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Hey sorry to see you having issues. I don't know what exactly is causing your issue, but I recall seeing something similar a while back. Not sure, but it may have been a loose connection or fuse related. If you search you can probably find it.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't seem to be a stretch that something was messed up / damaged / not put back together correctly when they tore the transmission apart to replace the shift forks.

OP
OP

nahtanoj65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Doesn't seem to be a stretch that something was messed up / damaged / not put back together correctly when they tore the transmission apart to replace the shift forks.
I would have to agree, I wanted to ask the mechanic who did the work more questions about how that sensor system works. However, he apparently is no longer with the dealership and the new mechanic has yet to work more in depth on a 2019. Not sure what happened. I should mention that I had a blowfish racing support bracket installed, and originally they tried to blame that, however I reinstalled the factory bracket (shouldn't matter) and the problem persisted.

OP
OP

nahtanoj65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey sorry to see you having issues. I don't know what exactly is causing your issue, but I recall seeing something similar a while back. Not sure, but it may have been a loose connection or fuse related. If you search you can probably find it.
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely do another search through here to see if I can find something. I'm hoping it's a simple issue causing a mess of stuff.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely do another search through here to see if I can find something. I'm hoping it's a simple issue causing a mess of stuff.
Just wondering if you ever found out what caused these issues. Thanks!

OP
OP

nahtanoj65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just wondering if you ever found out what caused these issues. Thanks!
Unfortunately no, my car has been at the dealership for 3 months now waiting on parts. I believe they ordered a gear shaft assembly. The issue was this part was on back order, and finally came in. I'm not convinced this will fix it, but it's in their hands at this point. Will update once I hear something else

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Unfortunately no, my car has been at the dealership for 3 months now waiting on parts. I believe they ordered a gear shaft assembly. The issue was this part was on back order, and finally came in. I'm not convinced this will fix it, but it's in their hands at this point. Will update once I hear something else
I am sorry to say I would not be convinced it will fix it either. I had a 2019 GT that did this fault often, and my 2020 does it in the exact same way. So I was just wondering if you had any insight! Thanks a lot.

OP
OP

nahtanoj65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am sorry to say I would not be convinced it will fix it either. I had a 2019 GT that did this fault often, and my 2020 does it in the exact same way. So I was just wondering if you had any insight! Thanks a lot.
So you have these issues as well? Have you tried working with a dealer? Was the switch to a 2020 unrelated or related to this, just curious if they couldn't fix the other or something. Definitely a headache

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
So you have these issues as well? Have you tried working with a dealer? Was the switch to a 2020 unrelated or related to this, just curious if they couldn't fix the other or something. Definitely a headache
I ordered a 2019 GT and it did this and it was replaced due to paint issues. My 2020 that replaced it also has the issues I described same as the 2019. I have not talked the dealer because I know how to avoid it roughly and I'd rather not give up my car while they try to diagnose it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

nahtanoj65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Fyi for anyone finding this. If your car has active rev matching with the gear indicator on the dash. If this gear position sensor fails it will cause these system faults which may or may not be related to the warranty service on the transmission. In short, get the sensor replaced and you'll be good to go

What sucks for future modding is it's much more difficult to do a t56 swap because that trans doesn't output this data

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Fyi for anyone finding this. If your car has active rev matching with the gear indicator on the dash. If this gear position sensor fails it will cause these system faults which may or may not be related to the warranty service on the transmission. In short, get the sensor replaced and you'll be good to go

What sucks for future modding is it's much more difficult to do a t56 swap because that trans doesn't output this data
You're a good dude for responding with an update/fix. And also for pursuing it as long as it appears you did. I feel like I'd have attempted to lemon law it much quicker.

OP
OP

nahtanoj65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You're a good dude for responding with an update/fix. And also for pursuing it as long as it appears you did. I feel like I'd have attempted to lemon law it much quicker.
Honestly forgot to post the solution since I was over the situation so glad someone messaged me about it. The MT-82 world is a difficult one so hopefully this helps people.

I think I got lucky with getting the car fixed in general because after they fixed it the first time they said "Ford do
Another tag on:

"Customer states the gear shift indicator doesn't read reverse 1 or 2 when in reverse the back up camera doesn't come on either. Gear shift not reading 1st and 2nd gear - EEC TESTP095B. Performed PPT A-Sensor fault. RNI transmission-partial tear down for access. Replaced shift sensor and trans shift rod with sensor sender. Cleared codes and test-verified repair"

Shaft pn: JRZ-7210-E

Glad to help other people struggling with mt-82 problems while everyone else doesn't care lol

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Thanks for the update.

For what it's worth, when I had this fault it was only ever backing up down my drive way. And in the last 6 months it has not happened once, after it happening regularly on two different Mustangs.

I don't know what it means that it doesn't happen to me anymore. If it ever does again, I am going to the dealer with your info here.

MikeDawg5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Currently having this same issue with a 2020 GT PP1 with MT. I’ve had the car for several weeks now and it’s happened since the day I brought it home. In fact, the day I brought it home with less than 50 miles on it from the drive home from the dealer, it tripped “park aid malfunction” and “hill assist failure” codes.

My driveway is about 150 feet long from the road and slightly downhill. When backing out of the driveway I get the faults. When backing down the driveway, no problems. When I back out very slowly, like feathering the clutch slowly, I can get up the hill to the road without causing the malfunctions. It’s annoying af.

Same thing happens that you all describe. When I get these codes, I have no camera, no backup sensors, no reverse lights, no hill assist (I don’t really care about this), and no rev matching.

Dealer is aware and taking it this Wednesday to begin the runaround. Less than 500 miles on a brand new $40k+ car and to the shop we go 🤦🏻‍♂️
Sponsored