Brake Light Switch Adjustable or Not??

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I've got 43k miles on my EB, and I've noticed recently it takes a lot more pressure and brake pedal travel for the lights to come on than it should. Sometimes light pressure is enough, and other times I've gotta put the pedal to the floor just and this is an intermittent safety issue that's far from ideal.

I'm planning on buying a new switch to replace as it's an easy enough job. Before I do, is there a chance the switch just needs adjustment, and if so, how? Anyone else run into a similar issue?
Sponsored

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Get under the dash and see if the rubber pad attached to the brake pedal that contacts the actual switch it worn/broken. I don't think the switch it self is adjustable. Ford's solution to brake light switch problems is to replace the whole switch.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Get under the dash and see if the rubber pad attached to the brake pedal that contacts the actual switch it worn/broken. I don't think the switch it self is adjustable. Ford's solution to brake light switch problems is to replace the whole switch.
I was just under there a couple hours ago and it didn't look worn or broken to my eye. I'll post a picture up shortly. I did see quite a few people having that issue in other threads.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
cat=100&_nc_ohc=tiU7xuH2CJIAQmNYPVQGV4aclVgTRPbEaHmjROBTVXmO-2R-8XAekqS6g&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Look for the brake pedal switch thread in the TSB/Issues sub-forum ... there’s fixes posted there for anyone that needs it.

If that switch fails or comes apart while driving - you better hope you’re in a lane closest to the shoulder .... because others have experienced failure and it’s outright dangerous...

Sponsored

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Fortunately I didn't have any of the more dangerous symptoms other have had. My driving and speed weren't affected at all by the switch. Replaced the switch this afternoon and everything is back to normal, except for the $30 out of my wallet! :cwl:

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Good to hear it worked out. Also something for me to be aware of, thanks.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Fortunately I didn't have any of the more dangerous symptoms other have had. My driving and speed weren't affected at all by the switch. Replaced the switch this afternoon and everything is back to normal, except for the $30 out of my wallet! :cwl:
@K-Roll302 can you post up the Ford part number for the brake pedal switch? Many folks who had the switch failure were told the entire pedal assembly needed to be replaced in the other thread (linked below).
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-light-switch-near-pedal-failure.122100/

The Ford switch part number will help others in the future who come across this thread. Thanks!

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
@K-Roll302 can you post up the Ford part number for the brake pedal switch? Many folks who had the switch failure were told the entire pedal assembly needed to be replaced in the other thread (linked below).
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-light-switch-near-pedal-failure.122100/

The Ford switch part number will help others in the future who come across this thread. Thanks!
I sure can! There seems to be a gaggle of numbers, so I'll post the ones that seems to make the most sense.

This one seems to be the current Ford #: GL3Z-13480-A
Motorcraft #: SW7810
Standard Motor #(The one I bought): SLS510

It's readily found on Rock Auto as shown below, or at Autozone, O'Reilly's (they had the Standard Motor in stock!), or any of the derivatives. Replacing the switch itself takes no more than FIVE minutes.
1.Twist switch counterclockwise to release it from assembly,
2. Disconnect connect switch from wire.
3. Installation is reverse of removal.
cat=103&_nc_ohc=aan3aljmSmYAQkmempXQh7RsrADkpnJyFlMt_npXqXX1sf8e1_icN5fjw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.png
Sponsored