Mustang GT reliability

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My 2018 GT A10 has been perfect to date, simply flawless, I would buy another one w/o hesitation.
Sponsored

Straightshot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 6 spd, PP1, 1970 Chevrolet Camaro 427ci. 5 spd. 1972 Chevrolet Nova, 454ci. 5 spd.
Same here, my 18 GT PP1 M82 has been flawless, 7k miles. Love this thing.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
For what its worth, my 18 GT A10 had several problems. Yes, it had the bbq tick but I am of the conclusion (consistent with what Ford has stated) that it is characteristic and nothing to be worried about. The ring and pinion were replaced around 6800 miles for excessive whine and a failed pinion bearing, the EPS was sticking, it did have the 2500-3000 rpm "piston slap", a leaking injector on #5 (confirmed through a bore-scope with fuel puddled on top of the piston), that same bore scope suggested potential cylinder wall scoring (but not confirmed), a sporadically loud DI pump and a trans that would on the VERY RARE occasion fall into neutral and then slam back into gear.

BUT.......
I would not hesitate to recommend an 18 or a 19. I happen to get one that had alot of issues but this is not characteristic of Mustangs in general and every manufacturer is going to have issues of some type from time to time. Nothing is guaranteed. Find the options you like and enjoy!!

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Sound to me you were just mad at Ford. Because you did get a new engine right..? I don't discount your headache, but that all depends on the Dealer you are dealing with...!
I too owned a 2018 F-150 XLT Crew Cab with the 5.0. 4 engines, a driver's seat, PCV valve, 2 transmissions, and a 8 month lawsuit against Ford later....I won my money back and then some.

The trucks are built like absolute crap. My dealer did all they could, but Ford did not stand behind their warranty. My truck had 6200 miles on it when they finally bought it back thanks to a court order. It was the worst customer service/vehicle experience of my life, and that's out of over the 100+ vehicles I have owned.

The mustang seems to be the only cars that dont depreciate lol ..
Mustang ownership is a one way street.

Case study: My 2019 GT/CS A10.

MSRP: $47,830
Current trade offers 5 months/5k miles later: $25k on the high end

The depreciation is terrible. Not sure where you are getting your info from.

Sponsored

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
i mean any new cars depreciation is terrible

worse if it's an ecoboost. even worse for v6s.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've been looking at Mustang GT's and can't decide on which year to get. At first, I wanted a 2015-2017 but after seeing that the 2018s and newer aren't that much more, I'd consider one. I've heard the 2018s had a lot of problems but haven't heard anything about the 2019s. What year would you guys get?
What do you want to do with the car? I scrolled through and it seems like everyone is recommending based on what they like. However, without knowing what you want it's hard to say.

I've been thinking about a used Mustang, but I haven't solidified in my mind which features are the most important to me.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
N
What do you want to do with the car? I scrolled through and it seems like everyone is recommending based on what they like. However, without knowing what you want it's hard to say.

I've been thinking about a used Mustang, but I haven't solidified in my mind which features are the most important to me.
No most people are telling him the GT isn't a POS as he has been lead to believe via Youtube etc. and that if he wants a GT then buy one they are overall pretty reliable. I don't see folks trying to get him to buy the same model and options they have just a GT in general.

murawdawg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 - whipple stage 2
the problems with 2018's were overblown i stage 2 whipple'd mine and it runs like a dream. Never had a single issue, 25k miles on it.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I too owned a 2018 F-150 XLT Crew Cab with the 5.0. 4 engines, a driver's seat, PCV valve, 2 transmissions, and a 8 month lawsuit against Ford later....I won my money back and then some.

The trucks are built like absolute crap. My dealer did all they could, but Ford did not stand behind their warranty. My truck had 6200 miles on it when they finally bought it back thanks to a court order. It was the worst customer service/vehicle experience of my life, and that's out of over the 100+ vehicles I have owned.

Mustang ownership is a one way street.

Case study: My 2019 GT/CS A10.

MSRP: $47,830
Current trade offers 5 months/5k miles later: $25k on the high end

The depreciation is terrible. Not sure where you are getting your info from.
Yeah but that's not the real world value of what you'll get by selling the car. Doing a trade in is suicide...

Yes You will take a hit on depreciation that's just part of buying a new car but you'll still do pretty good sellling it private party

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
You're rolling the dice on any used car, Mustang or otherwise.. You should be asking yourself if you like the pre-face lift 15-17 or the 18+ better.
My own personal rule us never buy a used performance car,unless you know the owner.i love my 19 gt premium vert,with 401a option group.the AT is incredible,actually I think faster than the 14vshelby I traded in.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My own personal rule us never buy a used performance car,unless you know the owner.i love my 19 gt premium vert,with 401a option group.the AT is incredible,actually I think faster than the 14vshelby I traded in.
I can respect that, but I just wanted to add a story from my experience:

I bought a used 1999 35th Anniversary GT coupe back in 2004. I paid $13,999 for it with 15k miles. Manual shift, leather, nicely loaded up.

I drove that car H.A.R.D. to 120k, never any scheduled maintenance other than tire rotations, gas, and oil changes. When I sold it, it was just starting to need a clutch. I'm talking I beat the crap out of that car. And while I had it, I found prom pictures under the trunk carpet (???? I know) from the previous owner, so it was no old guy's toy.

Used can be just as good, or better than, new. It just depends on the car and how it is maintained.

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
My 2015 GT had an evap core and the reverse camera replaced. Otherwise pretty reliable for 47,000 miles.
Sponsored