The Definitive Ecoboost vs GT gas mileage thread

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
I don't think mine is near as good as most of you are getting. When I fill up I've never seen the miles to empty read more than 211.
When I fill up my MTE is about 235 or so. I think the highest i've seen is 260.

on the ecoboost it was 300-325 ish.

To anyone wanting to trade in their ecoboost for a GT, you think you may be able to afford it but gas station visits will be more frequent for sure. Insurance too but that depends on person to person. I actually get the same price on insurance for my GT.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
When I fill up my MTE is about 235 or so. I think the highest i've seen is 260.

on the ecoboost it was 300-325 ish.

To anyone wanting to trade in their ecoboost for a GT, you think you may be able to afford it but gas station visits will be more frequent for sure. Insurance too but that depends on person to person. I actually get the same price on insurance for my GT.
The highest I saw for MTE on my 2018 during the summer was 423... LOL... and no, I’ve never attempted to run the tank down to see if I can actually get 423... I usually fill when tank has 1/4 left in it.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
ive been logging my miles and on the first 2900 since picking the car up new my average is 24.5

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
My EB averages 28+ mpg, a little higher in the summer and lower in winter. Miles to empty is usually under 400 winter, over 400 summer, all time high was 459. That's not bad, for a car that can go 0-60 in 5.4 with a manual handicapped by a clueless driver.

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a sports car/muscle car.......if I was worried about gas mileage I would have bought a Toyota or Honda.

wjfawb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a 2015 GT base model with the MT82 and 3.55 rear. I get 26mpg highway on 93 E10 gasoline. If I use straight 93 gasoline it goes up about to 28mpg.

I track mileage on all my cars every gasoline fill up. Several times this has let me know something was wrong. On my 2015 GT Mustang it was the first clue that the driver's side IMRC shaft was broken and staying open all the time. I got the multiple random misfire code on the driver's side too. The shaft broke around 45,000 miles.

Gmxblazer

Threads
Reaction score
To anyone wanting to trade in their ecoboost for a GT, you think you may be able to afford it but gas station visits will be more frequent for sure.
This is the case for me. Likely I wouldn't be able to afford the gas. Usually I go 450-520 miles before fill up. My car's(2015 ecoboost automatic) lifetime average is 31.5 mpg. The worst it MPG it has had was 22.5 in a blizzard with lots of idling and the best was 40.2. Typically it will return 34-35 MPG on the highway. Likely, if my car was a GT it would have costed $3,100 more in Fuel at my present mileage.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not really sure what the point of this thread is unless it is to show that an EB gets better MPG's. If that is why, all you need to do is look at the stickers for each, no need to really discuss it. However to play along, my overall MPG (M6, 3.73) with a mix of track (~2%), city (~35%) and highway (~65%) is 20.4. I have never reset it and I drive about 50/50 between sport+ and normal on 93. I also rarely drive it long distance and my long distance is less than 50 miles one way.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Maybe clean mass air flow sensor
I cleaned it about 7,000 miles ago but I guess it can't hurt to do it again.

I am getting the state inspection done sometime in the next day or two and will have the tech look at the IMRC. I have a hunch that there is an issue because I got a P0300 code twice in a month earlier this year but I chalked it up to the extreme cold morning temps and or bad gas throwing the code. But it is possible that the actuator in the intake work but one of the flaps might be stuck open or close causing misfire and the resulting lower MPG.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
What I’d like to know is this:

Is the total “estimated” MPG on the dash cluster a combo/average of Trip 1 and Trip 2? Does anyone know exactly how that “calculator” is coming up to the main MPG figure?

———
Since taking ownership of my 2018 EB Prem w/PP w/10R80 in Feb 2018 - my MPG has been a consistent 28.9 to 29.6 MPG. Those figures are totally accurate and NOT “adjusted” by dickering with the Trip resets just to get a higher MPG to gloat about...

The change in MPG I have to contribute to seasonal gasoline formula changes and/or the occasional Drive Mode selection of Sport+.

I’ve noticed my MPGs always drop after Sept/Oct time period.

Tire PSI is always spot on at 32 cold and 35 hot.

My distance driven each week is 500+mi. My daily route is 85% rural (no stops, low to almost no traffic) and 15% city (dense traffic and many traffic lights).

Fueling is always at Gulf gas station and selection is always 89 octane (mid grade).

Oil is changed every 5,000 miles along w/ tire rotation. Believe it or not, my PZeros have over 33k on them now and there’s still decent tread left - prob could get them to 40k or better... LOL.

I’ve used 92 or 93 octane in the past and to be honest, with the same driving characteristics and route, the car always seems to lose at least .3-.5 MPGs... that may seem crazy to some, but it happens every time. It seems to be happy on 89 octane for daily commuting, so that’s what I keep in it (despite what others may think or say).
I always find the dash cluster to be inaccurate. Usually it is better than what I calculate on my own or through one of the gas mileage apps.

OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Not really sure what the point of this thread is unless it is to show that an EB gets better MPG's. If that is why, all you need to do is look at the stickers for each, no need to really discuss it. However to play along, my overall MPG (M6, 3.73) with a mix of track (~2%), city (~35%) and highway (~65%) is 20.4. I have never reset it and I drive about 50/50 between sport+ and normal on 93. I also rarely drive it long distance and my long distance is less than 50 miles one way.
My intention was to give real world data for someone who might be crunching numbers. Might not be valuable to you but what is on the sticker and what is more realistic can make a difference for some people. Granted it is all about the driver but I think you get where I am going.

Mustang_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Triple Black
After putting on a GT 350 intake and CAI with new throttle body and a Lund custom tune, I can (no mashing to 100 mph + ) get 28 mpg on road trips. 5.0L with 3.73 gears and 6 speed manual. Key to that is “can get”.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do spoilers impact mpg like I mentioned earlier? I saw another thread recently claim gt350 track spoiler reduces mpg by 2-3

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I always find the dash cluster to be inaccurate. Usually it is better than what I calculate on my own or through one of the gas mileage apps.
The base for the mileage calculation can be adjusted in the engineering mode. Mine used to read 5-7% high, but after adjusting is now within 1% error consistently. There's a thread on how to adjust this... I'll see if I can find it and post it.

EDIT: This isn't the one I was thinking of, but should get you there:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/road-trip-mpg-question.121878/page-4#post-2567534
Sponsored

Last edited: