2019 GT leaking oil

Cruzin50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Bought the car in August brand new. Just crossed 3000 miles. It is a 2019 GT PP1. Friday I noticed oil in my driveway. Turns out it was my car leaking oil. I looked under and there was a good pool of about one quart of oil under there. Check the dip stick and it is bone dry. Brought it to the dealer yesterday and so far they haven't given me a diagnosis. I didnt have time to check it myself because I had to go straight to work.

I'm assuming that this car has been leaking oil for atleast a week because my lovely wife informed me after I brought it up "that she noticed oil in the driveway about a week ago" but didnt say anything. Obviously I know Ford is probably just going to fix the leak, whatever it is and refill my oil. My concern is damage done to the engine with me driving for atleast a week everyday with a steady oil leak. Has anyone ever experienced this and actually got an engine replacement from Ford?

Also I never got a low oil warning or any other lights. I'm not sure if this car has one but, my 2014 did so I would assume a new car would as well.
Sponsored

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
You should be fine they hold 10 quarts of oil. I’d almost bet that its the last quart is what shows up on the dipstick. If there are any issues you have a warranty! I know it sucks being without the car, but I wouldn’t sweat it.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Bought the car in August brand new. Just crossed 3000 miles. It is a 2019 GT PP1. Friday I noticed oil in my driveway. Turns out it was my car leaking oil. I looked under and there was a good pool of about one quart of oil under there. Check the dip stick and it is bone dry. Brought it to the dealer yesterday and so far they haven't given me a diagnosis. I didnt have time to check it myself because I had to go straight to work.

I'm assuming that this car has been leaking oil for atleast a week because my lovely wife informed me after I brought it up "that she noticed oil in the driveway about a week ago" but didnt say anything. Obviously I know Ford is probably just going to fix the leak, whatever it is and refill my oil. My concern is damage done to the engine with me driving for atleast a week everyday with a steady oil leak. Has anyone ever experienced this and actually got an engine replacement from Ford?

Also I never got a low oil warning or any other lights. I'm not sure if this car has one but, my 2014 did so I would assume a new car would as well.
There is not a low oil warning light but as long as your oil pressure was always good then everything should be the same as if it were full

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
My 19GT started leaking oil from the filter gasket close to 4k miles.

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
The Ford Pass app shows oil life and usage
I just went ahead and changed mine out. My 18GT didn't leak from the factory filter but I swapped the oil out on that at about 2k miles. Either some 19s got faulty filters, the cold weather shrank the gaskets, or they didn't lubricate the seals at the factory. Either way, changing it out fixed the issue in my case.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It could be 1 of 3 items (most common sources of oil leaks on the S550 5.0):

1) loose oil filter

2) loose oil sensor above the filter; this has been an issue with all platforms (EB/GT350/GT)

3) valve covers on 5.0; there’s a TSB or SSM out now about the bolts on the valve covers.

If your oil psi was always in the normal range when cold or hot, then the engine had sufficient oil level to safely operate. None of the S550’s are equipped with a low oil level light.

OP
OP

Cruzin50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
It could be 1 of 3 items (most common sources of oil leaks on the S550 5.0):

1) loose oil filter

2) loose oil sensor above the filter; this has been an issue with all platforms (EB/GT350/GT)

3) valve covers on 5.0; there’s a TSB or SSM out now about the bolts on the valve covers.

If your oil psi was always in the normal range when cold or hot, then the engine had sufficient oil level to safely operate. None of the S550’s are equipped with a low oil level light.
What exactly is normal oil psi range?

Ford just told me they couldn't find a leak from the engine, but there is oil coming out of the frame rails. They said drive it for 1000 miles and bring it back to see if it's still losing oil.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
OK - there's no oil warning lights on these cars?! With all the tech on our cars I just assumed there would be one. Would low oil trip a CEL at least or would it just keep going until with low or zero oil it completely burns up without warning? I apologize if this is a ridiculous question!

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What exactly is normal oil psi range?

Ford just told me they couldn't find a leak from the engine, but there is oil coming out of the frame rails. They said drive it for 1000 miles and bring it back to see if it's still losing oil.
The oil psi specs below is for a bone stock S550 Coyote 5.0 right from Ford:
29c0870b-b698-4bc5-8cdc-94d6fe7d9483-jpeg-jpg-jpg.jpg

That PSI info is also based upon the standard recommended oil for the 5.0 Coyote.

----
Did the car have a recent oil change - and if so did the Tech perhaps miss the fill hole and spill oil down the engine?

Do you have a way of getting it safely on stands, ramps or a lift to really check around the engine - oil filter, oil sensor above it, spacer plate between trans and engine block, oil pan, etc??

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
OK - there's no oil warning lights on these cars?! With all the tech on our cars I just assumed there would be one. Would low oil trip a CEL at least or would it just keep going until with low or zero oil it completely burns up without warning? I apologize if this is a ridiculous question!
There is low oil pressure warning - for oil level there dipstick which is everything that is needed to check oil level....

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
Even though its an old thread, I'm not going to start a new one, as the OP's title sums it up. I was scheduled to bring my 2019 GT PP1 into Ford to have an oil leak checked out. It's under warranty, so I'm less inclined to put a wrench to it myself. After seeing a few of the members here suggest to check the oil filter, pan gasket, oil pressure sensor and a few other things, I couldn't resist but to just do a little cursory investigation myself. To my dismay, it was leaking from the oil filter. It was loose. The dealer I bought it from, last month, said they changed the oil. This was bullshit, as the oil that was leaking was not new, and the filter looked it had a few thousand miles on it. Why cant a trained mechanic complete a simple task like an oil change. It's a damn shame, but you cant trust anyone but yourself.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Even though its an old thread, I'm not going to start a new one, as the OP's title sums it up. I was scheduled to bring my 2019 GT PP1 into Ford to have an oil leak checked out. It's under warranty, so I'm less inclined to put a wrench to it myself. After seeing a few of the members here suggest to check the oil filter, pan gasket, oil pressure sensor and a few other things, I couldn't resist but to just do a little cursory investigation myself. To my dismay, it was leaking from the oil filter. It was loose. The dealer I bought it from, last month, said they changed the oil. This was bullshit, as the oil that was leaking was not new, and the filter looked it had a few thousand miles on it. Why cant a trained mechanic complete a simple task like an oil change. It's a damn shame, but you cant trust anyone but yourself.
Get your money back,although there's no evidence unlesdbypu saved the filter

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Because it’s not a trained mechanic that does oil changes at the dealers- it’s a 20 something with no experience making minimum wage . BTW, The GT 350 also had oil filter leak problems during testing and that is why they changed over to a cartridge style , and the GT 500 uses this as well . The flat plane crank in the GT 350 vibrates the engine pretty good and that was what was causing the loose fitting oil filters
Sponsored