RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
... I'm leaning more towards the single one because it's less of a mess under the hood and easier to install ...
90% of the install is getting the two hoses connected behind the intake manifold. The extra hose for the second valve, including the time to take loose the intake tube, is very minor by comparison. 5 minutes to replace the coupler, and 30 seconds to route and click in the hose.
Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
You don't have to tune with the methanol. The variable controller works with your boost and min/max set points to inject correct amount of methanol/water pre-throttle body. If you want full advantage of extra horsepower due to the cooling effect and methanol bringing your effective octane up 10+ points, then a tune is recommended.
Great info, do you have any pics of an install of the Sno on the Ecoboost Mustang ?

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I noticed some started to reply to this old post, so for all of you wondering I bought and installed the UPR Dual Valve catch can. I'm very happy with it, I catched loads of blow by already with it at the track. 4 laps on the Nürburgring Nordschleife was enough to fill the can half way.

I didn't get the one from Ford Performance since it's all plastic and more difficult to empty than the aftermarket ones. The UPR one is all billet and still catches blow by during WOT. It wasn't that much more expensive than the Ford one and the quality is way better imo. But I'm sure that one works well too.

RedEcoJet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jerryallgire.com
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost - Pre-Production #280 Product Planning & Styling Vehicle
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing major. Replaced the temp sensor on the intake. It still mostly worked, but I couldn't clean it well enough. So I replaced it. Replaced the serpentine belt. Replaced the coils due to troubleshooting what felt like an ignition problem. Turned out to be the dirty temp sensor. Plugs don't last more than about 25k for me. Good car.

JerryA
138,000 miles yesterday. Replaced the idler pulley on the front cover a couple days ago. Bearing was pretty dry. Drained about a teaspoon on oil & water from the catch can.

JerryA

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
"The big question is how effective is it at keeping the valves clean?"

Since the fuel flows from the stem side of the valve. Fuel naturally displaces oil, I'd say some oil mist causing a valve to get dirty, is a moot point.

Running a good grade of fuel will have a much, much bigger affect keeping the valves clean.

Run cheap shit fuel, run long between oil changes, 50 catch cans could not keep the valves clean,.. Forced induction, high internal pressures on the block, yes catch can is good to have.

Leave well enough alone,:stop: use the $$$$ on a good grade of fuel. The car is what it eats ....
Pep

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium

Since the fuel flows from the stem side of the valve. Fuel naturally displaces oil, I'd say some oil mist causing a valve to get dirty, is a moot point.

Running a good grade of fuel will have a much, much bigger affect keeping the valves clean.

Run cheap shit fuel, run long between oil changes, 50 catch cans could not keep the valves clean,.. Forced induction, high internal pressures on the block, yes catch can is good to have.

Leave well enough alone,:stop: use the $$$$ on a good grade of fuel. The car is what it eats ....
Pep
The 2.3 Ecoboost engine us a direct injection design. The fuel injectors deliver the fuel directly into cylinder. Because no fuel is sprayed onto the back of the valves or valve stems you do not get any cleaning action. This is the reason folks install catch cans, to collect the oil vapor that is introduced into the intake manifold by the PCV system.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Good point, FI, fuel delivery directly into cylinder, was not thinking.

I read that Ford Performance parts offers a driver side catch can, only.
See after market offering a passenger side. What's the thinking there, what am I missing?

Thanks
Pep

Deleted member

Pep
Fuel does not touch the intake valves in our cars, which is why even on a stock vehicle a catch can should be used. Oil vapor will pass through the intake manifold without one and will start to cake the intake valves. No matter how well you take care of your vehicle, how often you change the oil, all turbo engines have some blow by, the crank case will always see some kind of positve pressure causing oil vapor to be picked up by the PCV system sucking that oil vapor into your intake manifold.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Are you guys running a catch in tandem with the PCV system or gutting the PCV all together? IIRC the only way to remove the PCV completely is to have a tune correct as the PCV is now metered (clean side) in these cars correct? I have a catch can waiting to be installed and was going to gut the PCV and vent to atmosphere but saw the PCV is now metered which is another hindrance it seems. Also I have read that even keeping the PCV in place and running a catch can it could still throw a PCV flow code, is this true?

Last edited:

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Most folks have the catch can in series between the PCV valve on the block and the connection on the intake manifold. Some will gut the stock PCV valve and install an after market check valve. This is done because of concern that the PCV valve will leak under boost.

Another popular option is to use a dual valve catch can. This option uses the low pressure area in front of the turbo to continue to draw fumes through the PCV valve even under boost.

Ford Performance sells a clean side catch can that will collect fumes if you are experiencing reversion under boost, folks using it report they don't catch much. I don't have anything on the clean side and do not get any appreciable build up at the entrance to the turbo.

Bedwelljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 ecoboost Mustang
I've been reading a lot on the forums regarding catch cans, and everyone seems to have a different opinion. Some said it's a waste of money because otherwise Ford would've installed it, others said that it's required but not installed from the factory because it's a high maintenance part...

What do you guys think about it? My 2017 Mustang Ecoboost is 100% stock and I'm not looking to really mod it other than suspension and exhaust maybe. While it might be 100% stock I do drive on the track (road course not a drag strip). Should I get one for a stock Ecoboost or not?

If so which one to get? UPR claims that their dual valve system is the best because it also catches blow-by while in boost. but I read that some people have problems with those regarding vacuum leaks and oily smells in the cabin because of the can not including teflon and worm clamps. The exterior of the cans were soaked in oil, but so far I've only read that on the f-150 forum. https://www.f150forum.com/f7/upr-catch-can-review-what-mess-literally-305986/index2/

Some claimed that the bronze filter media from the Mishimoto one came loose and got sucked into their engines.

There is also the Ford Performance one but the filter media seems to be rather poor.

Conclusion, I'm confused if I should buy one or not. I don't cheap out on maintenance because I'm not looking to sell this car anytime soon. Like I said I do track my car so I might be pushing it a bit harder that most.

Thanks,
Walt
HI , Not sure if you have done this yet or plan to when your warranty is up. I had the same dilemma and decided I would install one, as it can't do any harm and hopefully it will reduce carbon build up. I know you will hate me for this, but I am not a fan of going straight to the named brands, as I have found in the past they all come from China anyway.

I purchased one from China on eBay for £12 UK pounds roughly $14us. A friend of mine had a Mishimoto original, so we compared them. Now from what we could see there was no difference except for the mounting bracket which had only 2 screws whereas the Mishimoto had three. The baffles, filter and the cans were Identical. Same weight and quality. The other difference was that it came with a drain valve so you don't have to keep taking the can off. After this I installed it and have had no issues. Just as a note I purchased some new hose and utilized the factory quick connects. (they are a real pain in the ass to remove without damaging them, but takes time and patience :))

I removed the factory tubing and cut it off the clips, warmed the new piping and it slid straight onto the factory fittings. The pipework is not moulded as the mishimoto kit, but you can easily route it without kinking and make a nice job. Not done many miles yet but will see what is caught once I have done a thousand miles.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
HI , Not sure if you have done this yet or plan to when your warranty is up. I had the same dilemma and decided I would install one, as it can't do any harm and hopefully it will reduce carbon build up. I know you will hate me for this, but I am not a fan of going straight to the named brands, as I have found in the past they all come from China anyway.

I purchased one from China on eBay for £12 UK pounds roughly $14us. A friend of mine had a Mishimoto original, so we compared them. Now from what we could see there was no difference except for the mounting bracket which had only 2 screws whereas the Mishimoto had three. The baffles, filter and the cans were Identical. Same weight and quality. The other difference was that it came with a drain valve so you don't have to keep taking the can off. After this I installed it and have had no issues. Just as a note I purchased some new hose and utilized the factory quick connects. (they are a real pain in the ass to remove without damaging them, but takes time and patience :))

I removed the factory tubing and cut it off the clips, warmed the new piping and it slid straight onto the factory fittings. The pipework is not moulded as the mishimoto kit, but you can easily route it without kinking and make a nice job. Not done many miles yet but will see what is caught once I have done a thousand miles.
Hi John, as you can read in some post above, I did add a catch can to my setup and I'm happy with it. I track my car on various road courses in Europe, and after a couple laps there's already loads of oil in the can. During daily driving it barely fills up though. So in my opinion it's worth it depending on what your plans for your car are, but it can never hurt adding one.

I went with the UPR Dual valve catch can, which unlike other catch cans has a second valve before the turbo, so you will always pull a vacuum on the PCV system. The single valve systems only pull a vacuum when deaccelerating so for track use where I'm on the throttle almost the whole time it's definitely worth it.

I agree with you that most stuff gets made in China in the same factory and is just rebranded, same goes for the Mishimoto intercooler for example. However the UPR catch can is 100% made in the USA, it's made out of billet aluminum and the hoses/fittings even say 'made in USA by continental'. You do pay top dollar for that though so it might not be worth it for everyone. The can you got from eBay is for sure a good deal, I would never pay $150 dollar for the Mishimoto can if a non branded one could be found for a 1/10 of the price. That being said I do my best to avoid putting chinese parts on my car as much as I can since it's always a gamble what you get lol. But like you said if you're almost certain it's the same part but just non-branded there's no reason to pay more.

Bedwelljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 ecoboost Mustang
Hi John, as you can read in some post above, I did add a catch can to my setup and I'm happy with it. I track my car on various road courses in Europe, and after a couple laps there's already loads of oil in the can. During daily driving it barely fills up though. So in my opinion it's worth it depending on what your plans for your car are, but it can never hurt adding one.

I went with the UPR Dual valve catch can, which unlike other catch cans has a second valve before the turbo, so you will always pull a vacuum on the PCV system. The single valve systems only pull a vacuum when deaccelerating so for track use where I'm on the throttle almost the whole time it's definitely worth it.

I agree with you that most stuff gets made in China in the same factory and is just rebranded, same goes for the Mishimoto intercooler for example. However the UPR catch can is 100% made in the USA, it's made out of billet aluminum and the hoses/fittings even say 'made in USA by continental'. You do pay top dollar for that though so it might not be worth it for everyone. The can you got from eBay is for sure a good deal, I would never pay $150 dollar for the Mishimoto can if a non branded one could be found for a 1/10 of the price. That being said I do my best to avoid putting chinese parts on my car as much as I can since it's always a gamble what you get lol. But like you said if you're almost certain it's the same part but just non-branded there's no reason to pay more.
Your right I don't need the UPR the Mishimoto type is good enough for me. I don't do a lot of driving, what I do is not aggressive either. So far not seen anything in the can but have only done a few miles to be fair.
Sponsored