Air-Oil Separator Catch Can?

Tenbrooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryce
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Super Duty F-350 Dually
When should an air-oil separator be considered for a 5.0L Coyote engine to extract the oil from the air before it's sent back to the intake manifold? From what I've read, this is more of an issue on the passenger side of the engine although a catch can could be installed on the driver side as well.

JLT makes one for the passenger side for around $160. The install seems simple enough since it's merely a catch can and requires only two connections. Ford Performance also makes one but draining the captured oil appears to be more difficult than the JLT design. My thinking is that if entrained oil in the return air is really an issue, why wouldn't Ford install a separator from the factory? I've never seen this on any engine before.

Anyhow, it's not a big deal but I would be interested in your thoughts as to the necessity of installing an air-oil separator catch can.
Sponsored

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
When should an air-oil separator be considered for a 5.0L Coyote engine to extract the oil from the air before it's sent back to the intake manifold? From what I've read, this is more of an issue on the passenger side of the engine although a catch can could be installed on the driver side as well.

JLT makes one for the passenger side for around $160. The install seems simple enough since it's merely a catch can and requires only two connections. Ford Performance also makes one but draining the captured oil appears to be more difficult than the JLT design. My thinking is that if entrained oil in the return air is really an issue, why wouldn't Ford install a separator from the factory? I've never seen this on any engine before.

Anyhow, it's not a big deal but I would be interested in your thoughts as to the necessity of installing an air-oil separator catch can.
Most manufacturers steer well clear of any kind of oil catch can or separator because it will become an "admission of guilt" and increase their advertised running maintenance costs for emptying it.

Not sure what you mean by "never seen it on other engines" - all positive crankcase ventilation systems will benefit from a catch can.

Only need the passenger side because it's the path to the intake.

JLT have Black Friday discounts.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
You also need to accept the concept that for most people, a car is simply an appliance that gets them from point A to point B. Nothing more. As such, just like a refrigerator, people want to do as little maintenance as possible over the lifespan of their chosen appliance.

Car buyers/drivers only expect to put gas in the car and change the oil twice a year, and manufacturers have done a good job of bringing to market cars/trucks that will do that for year and years, or until the owner/driver decides to trade in the old appliance for the new appliance.

On a car that is nothing more than an appliance, a catch can is a useless, unnecessary feature.

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
You also need to accept the concept that for most people, a car is simply an appliance that gets them from point A to point B. Nothing more. As such, just like a refrigerator, people want to do as little maintenance as possible over the lifespan of their chosen appliance.

Car buyers/drivers only expect to put gas in the car and change the oil twice a year, and manufacturers have done a good job of bringing to market cars/trucks that will do that for year and years, or until the owner/driver decides to trade in the old appliance for the new appliance.

On a car that is nothing more than an appliance, a catch can is a useless, unnecessary feature.
Good point - if you have no intention of keeping the car for an extended period, there's no point using a catch can - the impact of the oil ingested into the combustion chamber will only manifest itself after a very lengthy period/miles.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Good point - if you have no intention of keeping the car for an extended period, there's no point using a catch can - the impact of the oil ingested into the combustion chamber will only manifest itself after a very lengthy period/miles.
For most of us on this message board, it is not so much as a longevity issue as it is a performance issue. There is the theory that the combustion gases directed back into the intake stream makes ignition knock more prevalent, so eliminating knock increases performance.

That is the only reason I have one, and mine cost me less than $30.

Sponsored

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
For most of us on this message board, it is not so much as a longevity issue as it is a performance issue. There is the theory that the combustion gases directed back into the intake stream makes ignition knock more prevalent, so eliminating knock increases performance.

That is the only reason I have one, and mine cost me less than $30.
A question regarding that theory - the catch can is an inertia type separator which would allow gasses to pass through freely while retaining the condensible and non-gaseous component, ....so the gases are still making their way back into the intake.

Last edited:

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Bryce, a catch can is always a good idea on a high compression N/A motor, or boosted motor. Catch can is designed to intercept the oil etc before it can make its way into the intake and into the combustion chamber, oil in the combustion chamber is never a good idea. Before ford started adding secondary injectors to the direct port fuel injection, a catch can was a must have item since the blow by and oil contaminates would build up in the intake and valves. The secondary injectors assist with washing all the crud out. Anyway the secondary injection system by itself is really not enough, so use a catch can to stop it from happening in the first place.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Hi Bryce, a catch can is always a good idea on a high compression N/A motor, or boosted motor. Catch can is designed to intercept the oil etc before it can make its way into the intake and into the combustion chamber, oil in the combustion chamber is never a good idea. Before ford started adding secondary injectors to the direct port fuel injection, a catch can was a must have item since the blow by and oil contaminates would build up in the intake and valves. The secondary injectors assist with washing all the crud out. Anyway the secondary injection system by itself is really not enough, so use a catch can to stop it from happening in the first place.
Sorry, but this is completely incorrect.

The direct injection that Ford added to the Coyote engine in 2018+ is just that..., direct injection which means the fuel is added directly into the combustion chamber at high pressure AFTER the air passes the intake valves.

The "old" port injection sprays fuel into the incoming air stream before it reaches the intake valves. The "old" port injection (still part of the 2018-2020 Mustang GT fueling system) cleans the intake valves, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I installed a Ford Performance Catch Can on my 2018 GT and it really works. I am a moderate driver that likes to get on it once in a while and i was amazed at what this unit caught i just 2K of driving. I love keeping the intake clean for long life which is my plan for this car. Install was easy and Summit Racing had the best price about $150. Also love the OEM look and engineering from Ford Performance.

OP
OP
Tenbrooks

Tenbrooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryce
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Super Duty F-350 Dually
I installed the JLT oil separator on my '19 GT and it's already starting to catch oil. Very simple install.

The can probably doesn't remove all the oil in the vapor return line but it's impressive how much it does catch and that oil is never returned to the combustion chamber again. I gotta think this separator helps minimize the sludge build-up at the valves and cylinder heads which occur over time.
Sponsored