Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting thread.
I took delivery of my 2019 a couple of weeks ago and am still running her in. 550 miles so far. this weather has meant I haven’t been inclined to go for any nice long runs.

I now plan to do an oil change after a 1000 or so miles just in case.

have a Borla ATAK on order too so might wait to put that on until I’ve checked the oil first.

sorry you had such hassle but I would check with ford if your engine is the coyote 3 that it should have for the year. I have read there are decent improvements over the previous gen 2 engine.

nev

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
Very interesting thread.
I took delivery of my 2019 a couple of weeks ago and am still running her in. 550 miles so far. this weather has meant I haven’t been inclined to go for any nice long runs.

have a Borla ATAK on order too so might wait to put that on until I’ve checked the oil first.

sorry you had such hassle but I would check with ford if your engine is the coyote 3 that it should have for the year. I have read there are decent improvements over the previous gen 2 engine.

nev
apparenty its the latest gen. the dealer said they started building them late sept 2017, which coinsides with the date of my engine (yes ive been given an engine which has been sat in storage for more than 2 years!)

ps just out of interest, what is your trip saying youre getting mpg wise when driving conservative (obvioulsy following the break-in proceedure)? Just gathering some info which i may go back to the dealer with

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
apparenty its the latest gen. the dealer said they started building them late sept 2017, which coinsides with the date of my engine (yes ive been given an engine which has been sat in storage for more than 2 years!)

ps just out of interest, what is your trip saying youre getting mpg wise when driving conservative (obvioulsy following the break-in proceedure)? Just gathering some info which i may go back to the dealer with
Hi.
Glad to hear you’ve had the generation confirmed.
I’ve been doing mostly traffic driving but the last couple of motorway hops I reset the trip and was getting 30mpg at 75 just cruising.
I’m getting more like 14 in stop start traffic which has been most of the driving I’ve done.
I have to admit have not been trying that hard to drive economically.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV

nev
Just in case of what ?

Why not just follow what Ford suggest ?

You do have a warranty if there are problems at the first service.

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just in case the engine fails catastrophically in a really inconvenient place or at 80 mph on the motorway.

I am an engineer and want to mitigate risk where I am aware of potential for failure.

I plan to take a major road trip across Europe next year so I’d rather be 1000 km away from home with confidence than have a nagging concern.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Just in case the engine fails catastrophically in a really inconvenient place or at 80 mph on the motorway.

I am an engineer and want to mitigate risk where I am aware of potential for failure.

I plan to take a major road trip across Europe next year so I’d rather be 1000 km away from home with confidence than have a nagging concern.
I think there are better things to worry about ! I hope you have a spare wheel as that is far more likely than an engine blow up !

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Duh
I can’t be arsed with this trolling.
I’m not a f**king idiot

for some people the limit of their skill level is lifting the boot lid the check for a tyre and making captain obvious statements on forums.
Something like an oil change is a challenge.

For others who have built and run drag cars. An oil change is a simple task worth doing for peace of mind in the face of evidence that suggests some engines out there might have an early problem lurking.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Duh
I can’t be arsed with this trolling.
I’m not a f**king idiot

for some people the limit of their skill level is lifting the boot lid the check for a tyre and making captain obvious statements on forums.
Something like an oil change is a challenge.

For others who have built and run drag cars. An oil change is a simple task worth doing for peace of mind in the face of evidence that suggests some engines out there might have an early problem lurking.
Charming response with some hilarious assumptions.

I hope I don't drive by you next year with a puncture when you are 1000km from home or I may have to smirk !

In terms of probability my suggestion would be considerably be more likely than a blown engine, but as you say you are the experienced mechanic.

Sponsored

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would have thought the fact that I am considering an early oil change would suggest I have the presence of mind to ensure the spare tyre, warning triangle, breath kit (for France), appropriate tools and other essentials for such a long journey are in place.
The same is assumed for the OP.
As you say the likelihood of engine failure is very small. However having read this post I don’t think it’s unreasonable for me to want to confirm.

I wonder why you didn’t ask the OP why he decided to do an oil change at 1500 miles? Perhaps you should ask him if he’s checked his spare tyre too. As you say punctures are more common.

OP
OP
Adz

Adz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550
Well I'm glad i did my oil change at 1.5k, as I was told it ran the issue of thowing a piston which would have certainly left me stranded. I will be doing my first oil change on this engine within the next 300-400 miles. Especially as I'm not sure how old the oil is (if it was shipped with the engine from factory, which could be old oil which has just been sat there but I'm not sure if thats the case).

Cheers Nevyn - im not worried about economy but if I can argue with the dealer for either more compensation or arguements if I do have any issues with this engine, I can just pretend I am lol.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Well I'm glad i did my oil change at 1.5k, as I was told it ran the issue of thowing a piston which would have certainly left me stranded. I will be doing my first oil change on this engine within the next 300-400 miles. Especially as I'm not sure how old the oil is (if it was shipped with the engine from factory, which could be old oil which has just been sat there but I'm not sure if thats the case).
It will be interesting to know what, if any, harm those shavings had caused / been the result of. As others have posted they look like machining left overs (that shouldn't be there) but may well have done no harm. I seem to remember you saying the engine was running fine. Until the engine has been stripped down to check what damage, if any, was present then it would be hard to predict what may have happened.

Oil sits on a shelf in a shop for ages so I wouldn't worry about old oil in an engine that hasn't been used. Oil degrades as it picks up contaminants and is subject to physical effects, neither of which would occur in a new non-running engine.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I have found that my American built cars are actually a bit rubbish. For a trip away get some breakdown insurance Nevyn.
This

Always get overseas insurance no matter what the car as you never know what will happen, never mind any mechanical woes, that will require recovery of the vehicle back to the UK.

Remember Ford Warranty only provides the first year overseas recovery, after that you need to ensure you get the annual free recovery service (which includes Europe) as part of your Ford service

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
Oil sits on a shelf in a shop for ages so I wouldn't worry about old oil in an engine that hasn't been used. Oil degrades as it picks up contaminants and is subject to physical effects, neither of which would occur in a new non-running engine.

Oil degrades over time even when sitting in unopened containers, so will definitely degrade when opened and put into an open to atmosphere engine on a shelf for a few years.

There is a general consensus of terminology coming from the oil companies that unused, unopened and stored in its original container out of extremes of temperature, motor oil will last for an “extended period”.

What an "Extended Period" actually means is less certain, although when pushed most suggest that the oil shouldn’t be used after a few years; the exact period varying between 2 years (according to Total) up to 5 years (Mobil).

Yes I know you will shout, but they are going to say that to make you buy more, and there is probably a modicum of truth in that, but there is also truth and science behind the message too.

So does motor oil expire?

Yes it can but depending on the conditions and the type of oil it might take a long time, say in the realm of 4 to 5 years or so max.

So unless there is an expiry date on the container and it’s still in the future, or you know exactly how long you’ve had it and how it’s been stored, it’s time to take those cans, part-cans and bottles of motor oil down to your local recycling center and remove the temptation to use it.
Sponsored