Adding ceratec to oil quick question

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
If ceratec is so great why don't Ford just use it themselves? I think they'd rather not replace long blocks or deal with noise complaints and reputation damage if a little bit of additive could handle it.

Do any OEM's even use this stuff?

And don't tell me it "quiets the tick." Even if this is true and not placebo consider that aluminum powder or even sawdust may "quiet the tick" but you wouldn't add those to your oil.

Seems to me that slightly heavier track oil (5w30) is permitted by warranty for track use so could be a better bet for enhanced protection on the street.

Just being a pain in the ass.
For the sake of also being an ass, I'll play devil's advocate. From a business perspective, car manufacturers would not want their vehicles to last forever. They would go out of business. There's also high wear resistant coating that can be used which significantly reduces wear on engine components. A study that used to test wear differences in 15w40 and 10w30 was done. The interesting part was that, for the components that they applied the antiwear coating to, there was less wear shown with the 10w30 than with the 15w40. The opposite was true on the same parts that didn't have the coating applied (15w40 displayed less wear). From a manufacturer's perspective, these antiwear coatings would be a much better option to apply to fresh engine components (and last longer) than an antiwear additive that needs to be used every couple of oil changes.

I don't use ceratec and am not sold on it. The study of viscous damping throws a wrench in the notion that one can determine how well something is working simply by NVH and audible sounds. However, the argument that "if it were that good then car manufacturers would use it" is a hollow counter point.

Rumor has it the 2020 engines donā€™t have the same noises as the 2018 and 2019 cars.
Rumors from where? The same thing was circulated about the 2019s by a couple of people and we all know how that panned out.
Sponsored

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Rumors from where? The same thing was circulated about the 2019s by a couple of people and we all know how that panned out.
I donā€™t have any proofs. Thatā€™s why I typed rumors.
My unsubstantiated understanding is that Ford had growing pains with the plasma-transferred wire arc (PTWA) process. They initially tried to compensate for it using select fit pistons. Supposedly that isnā€™t an issue for the 2020 engines.

Just to be clear the Cera Tec only reduces engine idle chatter. My PTWA comments above only apply to the 2K rattle; to the extent the rattle is caused by piston slap. Based on MPR Racing Enginesā€˜ comments in a PBD video; I think the real solution to piston rattle is swapping the factory cast pistons with Mahleā€™s forged direct replacements. Then the aluminum block bore expansion will be more closely matched by the forged piston expansion.

Cheers,

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
In my 2018 I dumped a 5 quart jug in first. Then I dumped two bottles of Ceratec in. Then I filled each of the now empty Ceratec bottles with the second 5 quart jug and poured the rest of the 5 quart jug into the engine. So, I only had 10 quarts in the crank case. So far; so, good.
Cheers,
You get the OCD award in this thread!

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
does nothing else for any imaginary engine damage that isn't taking place
You are straight up wrong. and its easily worth it just to remove the horrific tapping noise. Ive posted my video like 5 times in various threads but you havent read shit apparently.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
only thing adding ceratec does is make your wallet a bit lighter
I was skeptical about Ceratec too. I've always been skeptical of snake-oil products and their wild claims.
It may or may not work as far as reducing wear, as I have not seen that.
However, It wasn't until a friend of mine put it in his coyote that I witnessed first hand that it does work in quieting the car down.
When I bought my car new, it ticked as soon as I got it in the garage. I added Ceratec and it went away.
As much as I hate having to spend an extra $25 per oil change on this, it works.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All I know is that it makes the ticking go away, and thatā€™s why I use it.

Sponsored

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
All I know is that it makes the ticking go away, and thatā€™s why I use it.
And I can understand that..., but:

1. Do you have any idea of what is causing the "tick"?

2. Do you know if the "tick" is a sign of any damage being done, or of some kind of manufacturing or assembly defect?

3. Do you know exactly how the Ceratec is eliminating the "tick"?

4. Do you know if there is any damage being done by the Ceratec as a consequence of eliminating the "tick"?

For my hard-earned dollar, I cringe at the thought of putting something in my engine (which is under warranty) to which I know next to nothing about, only to relieve myself of the inconvenience of having to hear a seemingly inconsequential, undiagnosed engine sound?

But that's just me...

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
And I can understand that..., but:

1. Do you have any idea of what is causing the "tick"?

2. Do you know if the "tick" is a sign of any damage being done, or of some kind of manufacturing or assembly defect?

3. Do you know exactly how the Ceratec is eliminating the "tick"?

4. Do you know if there is any damage being done by the Ceratec as a consequence of eliminating the "tick"?

For my hard-earned dollar, I cringe at the thought of putting something in my engine (which is under warranty) to which I know next to nothing about, only to relieve myself of the inconvenience of having to hear a seemingly inconsequential, undiagnosed engine sound?

But that's just me...
My guess(key word..guess) from everything Iā€™ve read etc. is that it is piston slap, and I donā€™t know why the Ceratec helps it. I also understand the concern of using it. For me the ticking needs to go away or I sell the car..Iā€™m OCD like that, and Ford said it was normal so they wonā€™t do anything about the ticking.

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Oh and for me I tried valvoline advanced with ceratec and it did not quiet the tick completely, but pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Ceratec did stop the ticking completely.

Again donā€™t know why but it is what I have observed for my car.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
You are straight up wrong. and its easily worth it just to remove the horrific tapping noise. Ive posted my video like 5 times in various threads but you havent read shit apparently.

My tapping went away with out spending the 30 bucks...