Sponsored

Do you cover the hood heat extractor when washing the car?

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
These cars can operate in the rain. You're not going to get water anywhere when washing it with the hood closed that it won't get driving it in the rain. All the former GT500's, Mitsubishi Evo's, Camarao ZL1's, and many other cars have survived with vented hoods for years. You're overthinking all of this.
Exactly!
Sponsored

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
With my car ceramic coated I dont even use water. I use a waterless wash and 2 micro fibre cloths. 20 minutes later and good as new and in the comfort of the garage.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Man, I wonder how all of those mid engine super cars get washed with their engine compartment vents.

They must tape and seal each vent off before washing their cars.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I knew the location of the hood vent was going to be an issue with water intrusion.
I started using Powdered Water and it seems to keep the engine bay dry as the powder sifts through the hood vent.
The only thing I have to do is raise the hood and shop-vac the powder residue left behind. I have found that powdered water leaves no water spots... it must be PH neutral!
A co-worker, a Ph.D chemist, suggested that I start using Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO).
I did some research and that stuff is hazardous:
https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I knew the location of the hood vent was going to be an issue with water intrusion.
I started using Powdered Water and it seems to keep the engine bay dry as the powder sifts through the hood vent.
The only thing I have to do is raise the hood and shop-vac the powder residue left behind. I have found that powdered water leaves no water spots... it must be PH neutral!
A co-worker, a Ph.D chemist, suggested that I start using Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO).
I did some research and that stuff is hazardous:
https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
LOLOL

Jay4424

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaspal
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I don't cover mine up when washing, but I clean the engine bay to when I'm done with the exterior wash.
do you cover any electrical components when washing the engine bay. I’ve read and seen lots about washing an engine bay without fear but no one really says what needs to be covered especially in a mustang

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I can’t believe this thread exists.

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
I can’t believe this thread exists.
The car is not an antique Dead Sea Scroll , just wash it and wash the engine compartment too. A clean engine is a cool engine. Just keep the air intake filter area dry.
Really!

Reactions: dps

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
With my car ceramic coated I dont even use water. I use a waterless wash and 2 micro fibre cloths. 20 minutes later and good as new and in the comfort of the garage.
Mine goes in for ceramic coating on the 8th. The hope is that I can use microfiber and the meguiars dry wash spray to keep it looming good and hopefully not have tk use a hose on it at all.

Sponsored

Jay4424

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaspal
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
The car is not an antique Dead Sea Scroll , just wash it and wash the engine compartment too. A clean engine is a cool engine. Just keep the air intake filter area dry.
Really!
It’s a question relax. People are on here to learn from others and get advice. No need to behave like a question is stupid. I’ve seen older cars go into the garage because a tiny amount of water has got into parts of the engine. It’s my first new car which I wanna protect from any costly damage hence the question about what to cover as I’m all for washing the engine bay - but properly

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
do you cover any electrical components when washing the engine bay. I’ve read and seen lots about washing an engine bay without fear but no one really says what needs to be covered especially in a mustang
What little water gets into my engine compartment through the hood vent is minor. I take a ratty microfiber towel after each wash, dry the engine compartment along with the underside of the hood. I then go through with that same microfiber towel and wipe down the entire engine compartment. Doing this after every wash keeps the engine compartment relatively clean not necessitating a full wash. I did take a bucket of distilled water and poured it over the engine only covering up the air filter compartment and alternator. Had no problems since. All your connectors are waterproof and designed to get wet. Don’t overthink it.

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
It’s a question relax. People are on here to learn from others and get advice. No need to behave like a question is stupid. I’ve seen older cars go into the garage because a tiny amount of water has got into parts of the engine. It’s my first new car which I wanna protect from any costly damage hence the question about what to cover as I’m all for washing the engine bay - but properly
No one said your question was stupid. He was merely pointing out that Ford would not sell a car with a hood design that allows water to enter if it would hurt the car. Older cars were not designed to get wet, so they might have had issues with minor amounts of water.
Sponsored