Little Inconveniences

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - I’ve stated previously that I am very happy with the Bullitt, but as I was prepping it for winter storage a couple of little inconveniences appeared. The first involved my Battery Tender. With previous cars I simply plugged the charging adapter into the cigarette lighter receptacle in my older cars or a similar receptacle in newer cars. In the Bullitt, the two such receptacles are not live when the ignition is off. Yes, I have the traditional battery clip attachments, but it is more inconvenient to use. I don’t leave my Battery Tender on full time, but rather plug it in about once a month for about 24 hours which brings the battery to full charge. I also noted the absence of an engine bay auxiliary light. Again, not a big deal. Minutia in the scheme of things. Anybody else have similar minutiae? Bruce
Sponsored

OP
OP
OldPhart

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I’ll look into getting the pigtail extension so that I can leave the car cover on. I had already removed the plastic battery cover and routed the pigtail up near the windshield wiper like you did so the extension will solve my problem. I should have guessed that extensions are available. The issue of not having an engine compartment light is more of a surprise than a problem. Folks who like to display their engine compartments at car gatherings would probably find a light an annoyance... Bruce

blackk3389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
'19 BULLITT#3389, '03 cobra vert#2198,2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Your tender should have come with such a pigtail. Most do, mine was very inexpensive and came with one

OP
OP
OldPhart

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Your tender should have come with such a pigtail. Most do, mine was very inexpensive and came with one
Thanks for the comment. I did manage to get it hooked up so it will work with the car cover on. I just had to change my normal modus operandi as I had always previously used the plug-in pigtail. Fortunately I found the original alligator style clamps... Bruce
AF63FDA8-6FBF-42EE-9ED1-10DCC06C7A5B.jpeg

Bullitt1589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt #1589
You won't hurt a thing to leave that tender on for the whole winter, that's what it's designed for. No need to plug and unplug it

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldPhart

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
You won't hurt a thing to leave that tender on for the whole winter, that's what it's designed for. No need to plug and unplug it
Thanks, I’m aware of that but in case we have a power failure followed by a power surge when the power comes back on I play it on the safe side. I’m also aware there is an inline fuse, but I’m the cautious type. I only have to charge it once a month overnight during winter storage. I have a 100 year old house with a detached garage and it doesn’t have modern built in surge protectors.

Incidentally, several years ago there was discussion among the auto manufacturers about going to an 18 volt system because of the increased power need of the newer cars. That might eliminate the need for the Battery Tender. Has anyone heard more on that subject? Another rumored topic of discussion was going to 95 Octane gas only, in order to better accommodate the modern higher compression engines such as the one in our Bullitts... Bruce

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
great thread and how to Bill...thanx! My BULLITT has been sitting for over 2 months! I’ve started it a few time without issue!! I also have the battery tender...am thinking I’ll hook it up like yours....get a car cover after I’ve given it a Polish .... and just let er sleep!! ...
Sponsored