Sponsored

Buying from out of state dealer

mustangman'15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt to be
I've found the ideal mustang for the best price from a dealer in a different state.
Specifically koons ford in VA I believe. They seem to have the best priced listings so far.

How would I go about purchasing this vehicle?
Can I have the car shipped to the local ford dealer here in FL?

Any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
fly up there, drive it home.

Jeeden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Yea, your two options are really fly up, buy it, drive it home (or have a 3rd party shipper take it for you) or go to a dealer in FL and tell them what you want and negotiate with them on price.

All that said, I can HIGHLY recommend Koons Ford in Sterling, VA and can recommend Greg Williams (my family has bought about 10 cars from him combined in the last 10 years and have been working on getting a Mustang from him this week).

TxBornSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang comes when the Wife gets out of NP school
The money you spend getting it shipped shouldn't be much more than driving it. Not to mention driving it back would be more fun. Have you thought about ordering one, then using Xplan etc to get a better deal?

Sponsored

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
My car actually came from the Sterling VA dealership as well (although I bought it from the Koons Ford in Baltimore). I took a greyhound down from pitt (cost only $28), bought it, and drove it back home. They picked me up at the station and even handled getting it registered in PA for me (gave me a 60 day MD tag then overnighted me my PA plate when PA sent it to MD).

OP
OP

mustangman'15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt to be
The money you spend getting it shipped shouldn't be much more than driving it. Not to mention driving it back would be more fun. Have you thought about ordering one, then using Xplan etc to get a better deal?
Have thought about that too.
Purchase won't be for another few months and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go about it in order to get the best price.
Have the xplan pin ready to use as well.

Jeeden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I'm ordering my ruby red from him now. Like I'm sitting in the dealership

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
bought mine from koons (same people) but in balitmore. was $5k cheaper at koons than here at home.... yup 17hrs total there and back to save $5k.

go for it

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
There's a lot to be said for being able to look at it prior to driving it off. I considered several Mustangs that were in other states to save money but in the end I really wanted to be able to look at the build quality and hear/drive it before committing.

I also had the complication that WA State requires CA emissions and some of the cars in other states don't have that listed on the Sticker/Engine bay. I didn't want to hassle with that. Good luck on your buy it will be all worth it in the end!!!!!!

Sponsored

jared89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
I would think as long as you don't have a trade you should be able to do most of the stuff though emails. The prices at koons seem awesome. Are they a really high volume dealer, bc they cant bee making much. Did anyone negotiating on there prices?

Jeeden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I think they are pretty high volume. They always have tons of cars and a bunch of dealerships covering all the brands. It's a pretty well off area so they move the vehicles. The sterling one has 3 limited edition sitting out front and about 30 other mustangs on the lot. They always have multiple copies of hit cars and not just one showcase one. Usually many raptors and Shelby etc. Some of the other surrounding dealers are the usual dealership tricks and they pay for it with very quiet lots. People here have money and are willing to pay a fair price but don't want the bs.

Laserbrain

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm curious to know how this turned out.
I'm contemplating a trip to Koons myself.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I'm in Pittsburgh but have bought cars out of state several times...make sure you set up the deal with emails first so everything is in writing.

Bought my first Mustang, a used 1997 Cobra, from an Ohio dealer in 2000. Rented a U-haul car trailer, drove out with my truck and trailered it home.

Bought a used 2003 Cobra in 2008 sight-unseen (except for LOTS of pics) from a dealer in Chicago and had it shipped in a closed vehicle transport, I think the company was Horseless Carriage.

Bought a new Silverado from a dealer in West Virginia in 2009. This one was a sales tax nightmare, it was weeks after the sale before they finally got the right paperwork to me. Drove my trade down and drove the new one home.

Bought my current Silverado and current Mustang from dealers in Maryland. Got a one-way rental from Enterprise and drove to Baltimore for the Mustang and drove the Mustang home. Bob Davidson Ford. When I was signing the bill of sale I noticed that they had the price wrong (wasn't what I had negotiated by email) but was able to show them on my phone the right price and got it.

In all cases it was WELL worth the day of travel to get the vehicle and/or deal that I wanted.
Sponsored