Sponsored

Creaking sound (video attached)

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've had the same noise since i bought the car new in 2017. I also found the issue to be with the rear seat latches/pivot points (i.e. all 4 corners of the rear seat backs). I spray each point with some WD-40, and that takes care of the issue for about a year. I actually started hearing the noise again - time to re-coat those areas.
Sponsored

GunMetalGT15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
I’ve had my 2016 mustang gt for almost 2 years now. The car has approximately 22,000 miles. It is kept under a carport with a custom fit cover on it every night. I had some minor dings hammered out at a body shop back in August. After getting the car back I noticed that the body shop stretched two peices of weather stripping causing it to come a little loose. Other than that the car sounded and drove perfect. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a creaking sound coming from what sounds like the trunk or rear quarter panels whenever I am backing or driving foward out of a driveway at home or the gas station, etc. When driving over bumps or dips in the road the creaking sound cannont be heard. Its only when Im exiting an incline onto flat pathement. Below I attached a link of the video of me backing out of the driveway and towards the end of the video the sound can be clearly heard. Any ideas on what this might be?

Link:
Just curious if you ever found out what the cause of that noise was? I have a 2015 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package with the same issue. I hear that creaking noise only when I'm bakcing or driving forward out of a driveway or sometimes when I'm go over potholes.

GunMetalGT15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
That sounds exactly like what my car is doing, thanks for posting the video. I first noticed it in the parking garage at work when I would turn into an incline. I can't really hear it when I'm up to speed all that much because road noise probably blocks it out, but I definitely hear it when the rear goes over speed bumps at low speeds or when I'm turning while reversing, as well as when I'm transitioning from a flat surface to an incline surface while turning.

- Checked the rear sway bar end links, they seemed fine
- Replaced the rear sway bar bushings, no luck
- Checked the torque on the lower control arms, toe links, upper control arms, and sway bar links, and they were fine.
- Checked the torque on the axle nuts, and they were torqued properly. I re-torqued them with blue Loctite and the noise didn't go away.
- Checked the wheel bearings with the car on jack stands, and my wheels have zero play, so I think they're fine.

I was about to start greasing some of the bushings and check the rear seat pivot points, but I'll take a look at these hoses (look like evap hoses to me, but I'll have to take a more detailed look). It looks like the sound is coming from the clips that hold them in place as they pivot. I'll see if that's the source of my issue too.
Same issue as well. Did you ever find out a fix or the cause of the issue? (2015 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack)

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Same issue as well. Did you ever find out a fix or the cause of the issue? (2015 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack)
I figured out that my issue was the back seat latches. I found out when I had the seats down, the sound would go away. I applied a bit of grease to the latch and lubricated the hinge and it's been quiet since then. It really sounded like it was from the suspension, but I'm thinking that it was the seat contact points making noise as the body would flex over bumps.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have this issue in my car and I've been ignoring it for quite some time but I've got time off from work and I'm going to look at my rear seats. I've bounced on my rear suspension and everything and it's fine. Even paid a shop on the last alignment to clock all my bushings too.

I'm thinking it's coming from inside the cabin in the rear and the seats could likely be the culprit. Every time I go down my driveway I can replicate the noise so I think it may be the seats... Or I'm hoping at least.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Check that the rear seat is latched properly on both ends. Mine wasn't (broken tab), and it was making noise. Hope this helps. Another source of noise could be the rear seatback latches. Wrap the metal square 'C' part with Tesa tape, and that should quiet it down, if that's what it is. Otherwise, it'd probably be the damn C-pillar rattle, which my car has as well. Good luck.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
It was my rear seats. They both latch just fine, but I could see the metal on metal contact rubbing. I used WD-40 silicone spray on both latches on the seats and the metal bars they latch to. I opened and closed the seats about 10 times to make sure they were lubricated. No more squeaking. I forgot how quiet my Mustang actually is (minus the exhaust setup) because it has no rattles otherwise. I'm so happy now!

If the noise comes back, I will wrap the metal C bars with some tape.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
To further solve the upper rear seat latch creaking - take some electrical tape and wind it a few times around the “U” that is secured to the parcel shelf. This will create a thicker latch point and stops the metal to metal contact (and noise) due to the seats slightly moving or tweaking while driving.

My prior 2016 never had the noise at all. My 2018, it was annoying as hell... I did the above and bingo, no more noise since.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I used black Tesa tape around those 'U' metal pieces, and it worked perfectly... but still have a noise somewhere there. Don't think it's the latch, right? Didn't lube it or anything, for fear of spraying crap around, but I could try that if some think might help. Thx.

Exhausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1 A10
My 2019 is doing this, I thought it was the rear seats so I completely removed them to verify and its still there. sounds like its in the car but I supposed it could be underneath?
Only happens on acceleration or stopping. I checked all suspension and chassis bolts and they are torqued to spec.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Still no noise yet with the WD-40 silicone spray and my car has been creak noise free for a few months now. If I do end up hearing it again, I will be going with the black electrical tape route.

mclovin93535

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost
Still no noise yet with the WD-40 silicone spray and my car has been creak noise free for a few months now. If I do end up hearing it again, I will be going with the black electrical tape route.
That fix mine also Ford replaced my front and rear suspension thinking it was that but it didn’t I sprayed WD-40 a year ago on the seat hinges and it hasn’t made a noise I’m going 1 year and a half.
Sponsored