Removing Light Scratches on GT350 Stripes

mqu02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue GT350
As we all know, the stripes on these cars are unbelievably soft, and you just can't grasp how soft they are until you own one of these cars. My stripes don't have PPF on them, and after hitting a couple bugs this summer, I had a few scratches that were really bothering me.

I had some time this afternoon to do some experimental polishing, and can report I was happy with the results. It's kind of hard to take pictures of the scratches I had, but I did get a before/after of one that was pretty prominent. This particular scratch was caused by a huge bug splattering itself on the stripe, and as careful as I tried to be washing it off, I had a pretty noticeable scratch when it was off. The scratch was a lot more noticeable than the picture makes it appear, and was pretty easy to see when looking at the car.

I use primarily use Griot's products for detailing, and set my 3" Random Orbital to level 4, using a black pad, with Griot's BOSS Perfecting cream. I did several applications of cream, followed by cleaning with their blue PFM detailing towel and Speed Shine. Attached are a couple before & after pictures, and I would highly advise before trying this on your own hood, to find a less conspicuous area of a stripe, like under the trunk lid, to make sure you are not causing any damage.
xbgyHqULQMiYXArG+G8udg.jpg
fullsizeoutput_9ad.jpeg
View attachment 414157 View attachment 414158
DbI1s2heQxCeLG31uVkOQA.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
D20ECD9A-C87B-4A62-81E8-C477ACBFF96B.png
FA091276-3B2D-4B94-8247-2498C7F57491.png
This stuff will work awesome on the film and stripes of your car also.
I used Mckee’s Jeweling Wax on my stripes it removed
Scratches and got high numbers on the Gloss Meter.
Jeweling Wax works AWESOME on paint for the look of
Glass. I’m also a fan of Griot’s products and have their
System.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
As we all know, the stripes on these cars are unbelievably soft, and you just can't grasp how soft they are until you own one of these cars. My stripes don't have PPF on them, and after hitting a couple bugs this summer, I had a few scratches that were really bothering me.

I had some time this afternoon to do some experimental polishing, and can report I was happy with the results. It's kind of hard to take pictures of the scratches I had, but I did get a before/after of one that was pretty prominent. This particular scratch was caused by a huge bug splattering itself on the stripe, and as careful as I tried to be washing it off, I had a pretty noticeable scratch when it was off. The scratch was a lot more noticeable than the picture makes it appear, and was pretty easy to see when looking at the car.

I use primarily use Griot's products for detailing, and set my 3" Random Orbital to level 4, using a black pad, with Griot's BOSS Perfecting cream. I did several applications of cream, followed by cleaning with their blue PFM detailing towel and Speed Shine. Attached are a couple before & after pictures, and I would highly advise before trying this on your own hood, to find a less conspicuous area of a stripe, like under the trunk lid, to make sure you are not causing any damage.
fullsizeoutput_9ad.jpeg
Great info, wheni picked up my car i had this 12 inch scratch on the stripe. I am hoping when i take it for paint correction on 2 weeks he can get it out and the ceramic coating will protect.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat

fullsizeoutput_9ad.jpeg
Great info, wheni picked up my car i had this 12 inch scratch on the stripe. I am hoping when i take it for paint correction on 2 weeks he can get it out and the ceramic coating will protect.
20191121_090937.jpg

Attachments

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I would be careful on the matt-gloss stripes. Any polish might shine them up. Definitely would try first on some hidden area if possible. Go slow.

Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Great to know.

Stupid question- wax on vinyl stripes? I was always told NOT to wax decals- can you though?

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Great to know.

Stupid question- wax on vinyl stripes? I was always told NOT to wax decals- can you though?
Always waxed mine when waxing my 16 and then 17 when I waxed the rest of the car and they always looked great.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Always waxed mine when waxing my 16 and then 17 when I waxed the rest of the car and they always looked great.
Just tape off the edges im guessing?

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Just tape off the edges im guessing?
Nope never taped off the edges either. Just used a quality wax that doesn't leave residue and didn't rub hard on the stripes. And buffed gently with a soft microfiber cloth. Never any problem and stripes looked great and no problem on edges. Waxed both cars at least 4 times a year.

Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Nope never taped off the edges either. Just used a quality wax that doesn't leave residue and didn't rub hard on the stripes. And buffed gently with a soft microfiber cloth. Never any problem and stripes looked great and no problem on edges. Waxed both cars at least 4 times a year.
Will have to try! I'll be using Griots best of show wax

OP
OP
mqu02

mqu02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue GT350
Great to know.

I've put wax on these stripes, and other vinyl stripes in the past with very good results. That said, if I had matte stripes, I probably would not wax them, mostly because of how unforgiving anything matte is. For that same reason I don't wax the matte black hood on my '69 Mach 1.
Sponsored