Win/Loss ratio for 2018/2019/2020 on Whipple

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I’m sticking E85 tune n/a with my car. Plenty of power and reliability to still enjoy the handling of a pp1 s550 chassis. Not interested in 170 mph quarter trap speeds nor the added stress of blown motor. My next supercharged car will be a lightly used hellcat widebody.
That is totally understandable. I absolutely love the flex fuel tune in my Mustang. Perfect drivability and great performance on either 93 or E85....with E85 being the best. Keep in mind that there is a happy medium between tuned NA cars and all-out race cars like Jed in the above post has. No cats, 800 HP and apparently no rev limiter is not my cup of tea at all. Both Roush and Edelbrock have 3/36 engine/drivetrain warranties if you use their tunes. That tells me that their kits are pretty safe. By the way, Whipple has NO warranty. You can buy one through a 3rd party for their stage 1 kit but it is very limited. You can't even buy a warranty for their stage 2 kit. To me, that is more evidence that Whipple is a bit more hard core.

If someone wants go a bit further than a tune and simple bolt-ons, but does not want a race car, a supercharger kit tuned to around 600 WHP makes sense to me. I will keep the shift points stock, maintain a reasonable rev limiter and have a tune that makes sure the A/F ratio, boost, and spark are within reasonable limits. I plan to go to a custom tune and not have the warranty because I think they can offer better drivability and safety than canned tunes. By doing all this, I have no reason to be concerned about reliability or drivability. There is also no need to upgrade engine internals. Halfshafts are somewhat of a weak link but that is even true with tuned NA cars when using drag radials.

I think many people (including some vendors and tuners) think anyone who wants forced induction is looking to build a race car. That is not what I am looking for. My goal is to maintain excellent street drivability, reasonable reliability, and capability of high 10 second quarter mile passes in decent air on drag radials. I think that is very doable.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
That is totally understandable. I absolutely love the flex fuel tune in my Mustang. Perfect drivability and great performance on either 93 or E85....with E85 being the best. Keep in mind that there is a happy medium between tuned NA cars and all-out race cars like Jed in the above post has. No cats, 800 HP and apparently no rev limiter is not my cup of tea at all. Both Roush and Edelbrock have 3/36 engine/drivetrain warranties if you use their tunes. That tells me that their kits are pretty safe. By the way, Whipple has NO warranty. You can buy one through a 3rd party for their stage 1 kit but it is very limited. You can't even buy a warranty for their stage 2 kit. To me, that is more evidence that Whipple is a bit more hard core.

If someone wants go a bit further than a tune and simple bolt-ons, but does not want a race car, a supercharger kit tuned to around 600 WHP makes sense to me. I will keep the shift points stock, maintain a reasonable rev limiter and have a tune that makes sure the A/F ratio, boost, and spark are within reasonable limits. I plan to go to a custom tune and not have the warranty because I think they can offer better drivability and safety than canned tunes. By doing all this, I have no reason to be concerned about reliability or drivability. There is also no need to upgrade engine internals. Halfshafts are somewhat of a weak link but that is even true with tuned NA cars when using drag radials.

I think many people (including some vendors and tuners) think anyone who wants forced induction is looking to build a race car. That is not what I am looking for. My goal is to maintain excellent street drivability, reasonable reliability, and capability of high 10 second quarter mile passes in decent air on drag radials. I think that is very doable.
I get it. But, honestly, based off of watching this forum for 18 months would not boost a gen3 motor without running E85 and cat delete. That fuel system adds a lot more to just a 6k bolt on supercharger kit. Not going to risk a bad tank of 91-93 pump on 12 to 1 motor. Pass.

Jed S.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jedidiah
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Stage 2 Mustang GT

Brucelinc:
I love that you called my car a full out race car! Lol. I do daily drive also. Have put almost 7,000 miles on it with it built like this.
Also, the 9500 rpm was cause there wasn’t enough pressure in the clutches, 100% not on purpose . Tune revision later, fixed. I think what Zinc03svt is 100% true. If the engine isn’t jacked from the factory(do a compression test), these things are stout and can hold big power with E85 and no cats.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I like E85 but in my area it is usually more like E70 in the summer and E50 the rest of the time. I test it frequently. Additionally, it is not very popular here so stations are few and far between. That is why I would be hesitant to have a full E85 tune. When I go boosted, I will use 93 for street use...in which I rarely use WOT.... but mix in some boostane or race fuel for drag strip use.

Jed S.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jedidiah
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Stage 2 Mustang GT
I like E85 but in my area it is usually more like E70 in the summer and E50 the rest of the time. I test it frequently. Additionally, it is not very popular here so stations are few and far between. That is why I would be hesitant to have a full E85 tune. When I go boosted, I will use 93 for street use...in which I rarely use WOT.... but mix in some boostane or race fuel for drag strip use.
I lucked out with having a gas station 10 minutes away from my house that has E85. Anything at or over E50 is better to run than 93. Just need to have a flex tune. I know both PBD and Lund have them. I do put 93/boostane in my tank during the winter for storage/putt-sing around when it’s nice out and no salt on the road cause it’s less likely to break down during sitting than E85.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I run a flex tune now but am NA. If Lund has a flex fuel tune for boosted applications, that is great. I presume that requires additional fuel system upgrades?

By the way, you guys who run without cats apparently live where there is no emissions testing? Another reason I want to be a bit conservative is how one on my tracks classifies the cars. 10.50 and slower are considered street class and have specific requirements. I run in that class.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I think you could be onto something here. Detonation is most likely to occur at peak torque. I wonder if PD with having all the torque so low and liner has everything to do with it.

I ordered the Whipple before researching much and the next day canceled my order after seeing so many broken pistons across the country.

Further consideration has me thinking of twin turbos which have zero parasitic power loss, I could run 5 or 6 psi and perform similar to PD or centrifugal air compressors. All the power would go to the wheels and none wasted on compressing air. I have heard they leach almost 100bhp at peak rpm. That's a ton of energy loss that could be to the wheels.

PS. I may be new here but carry 20 years of credibility at Corvette Forum and before that 5 years at the F-Body Forum. I've had multiple blown late models over there pushing 800hp. Just saying.
BTW, with that said, I'd like to say it seems like the Ford guys/girls are much more harmonious. I don't see to many friends and family beating each other up for post one's thoughts. Over there we'd call it putting on the flame suit because if you say the wrong thing, you will be flamed to death and then some... LOL
Think your on to something, I to am a life long Chevy builder, tuner, racer....that's come over...the mustang community as a whole has embraced me and I'm immensely grateful for each of them....but there are truths you are not allowed to say.....dont throw the flame suit away hehe...
Got my 19 A10 back again yesterday I've gained some more weight hehe seats fit tighter or maybe my wife washed it on hot like my Jean's ;)

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I'll say this I drove the Edelbrock in stage 1 trim and then 1st upgrader to stage 2 full upgrade kit...I'm not saying it tears down the house making power...BUT I have to be honest the Stage 2 tune for daily driving on 93 was MUCH better...I know Lund can provide me a better snappier running car zero doubt...I had my issues with the stage 1 tune but the stage 2 is pretty damn terrific.....in terms of manners, feeling of nimbleness and surging....very smooth well done CARB totally stock car tune for 93 imho....for the daily driver...
Lund will obviously surpass it as could Edelbrock if they were paid and allowed to do multi revisions on each individual customers car/combo....
Its tvs 2650 for a daily for me...F1A-94 turned slow for more of a street/strip racer...I prefer to turn the F series with their 5.4 ratio ( vs D1x 4.10 to 1) slower when needed as the wrap requires little tension alleviating the wearing and breaking of bearings and cranks...then up high pulls hard with minimal IAT penalty in fact that blower was designed for a class that doesnt allow intercooling......
Sponsored