Tick with no physical issues?

BarberStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (base,6Spd,BAP)
So like a paranoid car guy I hear a decently irratic, I search Mustang6g. (Shameless plug) Has anyone boroscoped their engine, 18-19, with mileage over 10k to find no scoring on their cylinder walls? I just cant fathom (Im not a paid Ford bot) Ford letting all of these Engines just have major bottom end issues with us pushing them etc since 2011 with no fix? I could understand maybe not buying back unless you pushed, but for it to be on a case by case basis if you proved scoring. Something about this seems off. I dont mean on Fords end either. I mean on the consumer end. Yes there may be a possibility of an issue. I dont discount that, but how many of us have it compared to how many were sold? I really dont think I'm being optimistic. I think it has to do with an oil related issue. The scoring must be lemons, not a production/engineering issue. It sounds to me like something isnt getting oil randomly. Like 5w20 isnt enough so it seems worse. Anyways, any out there have no symptoms from the tick?
Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
the tick is such a dumb overblown issue. i had the bbq tick on my 2012 and put over 100k problem free miles on it with tons of drag strip passes and hard street driving. ran exactly the same with over 100k miles as it did new

OP
OP
BarberStang

BarberStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (base,6Spd,BAP)
the tick is such a dumb overblown issue. i had the bbq tick on my 2012 and put over 100k problem free miles on it with tons of drag strip passes and hard street driving. ran exactly the same with over 100k miles as it did new
Exactly. Im not afraid for my coyote at all. I remember my bestfriend who died 3 years ago had a 13 GT and I remember it ticking, but felt like it was the fastest car in the county. I have 3,500 on mine right now with my first oil change done by Ford. It ticks yeah, but is it crazy? No not at all. Its super random and very quiet unless you're on the floor listening for it. I honestly am afraid of our society as males if these hipster beards are supposedly alpha.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I just got my first oil change this past Saturday at 4000 miles. They put in Motorcraft 5W20 Semi-Syn. I listened close when I got it back and I could hear a bit of a random tick at idle but its really faint and were it not for all of the tick talk here I would have thought yeah its a motor they make sounds sometimes LOL. If it stays as it is right now I won't be adding anything to my oil for that wee sound. But I will see what happens going forward.

Sponsored

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have the tick, always have. Here's what I've read that has proved to be 100% true for my car:
It's the AC belt. Coyote's don't have a tensioner for the belt, so it slaps a lot. Try turning off your AC and see if it still slaps. There are reasons why you might still hear a little slapping, since turning the AC off wont kill it totally, but it should be greatly reduced, if not completely gone.
There are reports of actual issues, like piston slap, but that seems to be a completely unrelated issue all together, a totally different tick.

Here's another thread on M6G (there are a lot of mentions all over the forum for this theory, with testimonies):

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tchy-belt-tensioner-kit-tsb-from-2012.116628/

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Some cars that have a "tick" might be caused by the AC belt. But those people that have the tick and pour in some Ceratec and the tick disappears ... well, those ticking engines are obviously not caused by the AC belt.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
That so called "tick" is just your DI pump and the injectors. I use ceratec in every oil change, in my '18...but I've never heard a tick in my engine...DI pump noise and injectors sound like a diesel at times, but no tick. This "tick" thing is mostly a YouTuber myth that got started a couple years ago when one idiot YT'er made a stupid video and then like lemmings all the other S550 video makers (mostly idiots from what I can see) then had to chase that ad dollar and create their version of a "tick" video to try and gain more subs to get more ad dollars. Stop using YT to find info on the S550 platform...most of that young crowd on YT doesn't even turn their own damn wrenches, and most of them don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The BBQ/typewriter tick is real, otherwise Ford wouldn't have replaced short blocks and then put a SSM out about it.

A DI pump noise will not go away due to adding Ceratec. And besides, Gen1 and Gen2 Coyotes also tick, and they don't have a DI fuel pump.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The BBQ/typewriter tick is real, otherwise Ford wouldn't have replaced short blocks and then put a SSM out about it.

A DI pump noise will not go away due to adding Ceratec. And besides, Gen1 and Gen2 Coyotes also tick, and they don't have a DI fuel pump.
Not saying it isn't real, just saying that there have been a few ticks which all sound similar, but are completely different.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not saying it isn't real, just saying that there have been a few ticks which all sound similar, but are completely different.
Agree with that ... from all I've read and researched, there seems to be many things that can make engine noises with the Coyote. And it's hard for people to distinguish one from the other. Now that Ford put out the SSM about the 'typewriter tick' the dealerships think any engine noise is the 'typewriter tick' and therefore dismiss it as that when in reality it might very well be an engine problem making the noise.

But for someone to say "This "tick" thing is mostly a YouTuber myth that got started a couple years ago when one idiot YT'er made a stupid video ..." is not really fully aware of the whole picture, and doesn't realize Coyotes ticked way before it became viral on YouTube. A lot of the YouTube videos I've seen do show the actual BBQ tick happening ... not a DI fuel pump noise. Pretty easy to distinguish the difference.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
These engines are mad noisy. Bbq tick, 2k rattle, injector noise, intermittent ticking, HPDI noise... the list goes on. My new engine makes a lot of noise but if I'm in my car, music on, paying zero attention to it, I'd never hear it. Anyone who says they have zero ticks have probably never crouched down and listened under the car.

Some people had cylinder wall scoring but there was no evidence to tie it to any of the sounds. Those cases, I suspect, were similar to mine. In my case, I brought it in for one particular sound and by a damn fluke they found damage that wasn't associated to the sounds I heard (if it was, then my new engine also has scored cam journals and a camshaft on its way out). There was other driveability issues, but I digress.

The reason, I think, so many short blocks were replaced so easily (before they found the damage, ford approved a short block for me without verifying anything) was because it's a new run with the new PTWA liners and DI so they're probably diligent in taking a few back for tear down and inspection. The longblock replacements are the ones to take real note of, and there's a handful of those on record (on the forums).

There's also a lot less sound dampening going with aluminum blocks, composite oil pan, thinner oil, shorter cylinder skirts, etc. Add in the new DI pump and there's a lot of mechanical noise that would otherwise be absent from your camry or maxima.

Another, not often talked about point, is viscous damping (not to be mistaken for dampening). More viscous oil will provide more damping and less vibrations within the engine, thus making it quieter if the vibrations are within an audible range. Combine that with the above and we have ourselves a damn noisy engine. That does not mean there's less protection. On the contrary, more viscous damping can lead to excessive heat (using too thick an oil in an intended application). A balance needs to be struck, and it's why a noisy engine doesn't necessarily mean more wear. I haven't been able to find much on the topic, but it's interesting and I will have to devote more time to learning it at some point because it basically indicates that the normal line of thinking (less noise = less wear) is wrong (well, not wrong, but not 100% accurate). It almost goes against instinct, but it is what it is.
Sponsored