Sponsored

Catless and Nascar Loud

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So I just installed MAK cat deletes on my car. The car has a whipple stage 2 kit on it with ford resonator delete x pipe and roush axle backs. The MAK cat deletes SERIOUSLY made my car ridicously loud. Its funny driving the car because my friend heard me driving late at night about 10 blocks away from his house, roughly half a mile. I knew since I was boosted the MAK cat deletes were going to make my car a ton louder than guys with my same exhaust setup but N/A. I want to tone it down just a little bit as well as get rid of some of the rasp that came with the cat deletes. Ive been thinking about putting the factory suitcase back on the car since its cheap instead of getting the Magnaflow tru x, im just not sure if this is going to make a difference.

What would you all suggest I should do to kill 70% of the rasp and like 20% or so of the volume. I still want the car to be louder than before I took the cats off but not this loud, its ridiculous and honestly undriveable on the street. Some friends suggested suitcase resonator or swap out the roush axle backs for like a magnaflow axle back or something
Sponsored

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I had exactly the same set-up on my car (sans the supercharger) and YES, it was wake-the-phucking-dead loud. Summon the gods of war (all of them) LOUD!!

It was ridiculous! The car was NOT fun to drive and I was embarrassed by it. The cold starts were an abomination.

I put a Ford Performance/Borla resonator in place of the previously installed x-pipe, and it killed almost all of the rasp and quieted down the overall volume of the car to being tolerable again. My car now has what I would call a pleasantly suprising Jekyll & Hyde personality.

What I mean by that is, when cruising down the highway at 70mph with the cruise control on at roughly 1900 rpm, I can listen to music and/or have a conversation inside the car, no problemo; but when I jump on that long, skinny loud pedal on the far right..., the car roars to life and can still wake the dead.

Best of both worlds? I highly, highly, highly recommend the Magnaflow tru-x resonator or the Borla/FP resonator.

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I agree with everything Blade runner said. Only thing I'll add to it is , when I put the Tru X on. The exhaust note got much deeper. As close to a muscle car sound as still motor is ever going to get

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
The Magnaflow tru-x resonator is the way to go. Previous car experience with it and it kills the annoying rasp and like crcpdx said, deepens the tone.

OP
OP
Devil5oh

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I agree with everything Blade runner said. Only thing I'll add to it is , when I put the Tru X on. The exhaust note got much deeper. As close to a muscle car sound as still motor is ever going to get
The Magnaflow tru-x resonator is the way to go. Previous car experience with it and it kills the annoying rasp and like crcpdx said, deepens the tone.
This is exactly what Im looking for. Deeper tone. Did the cold starts get toned down quite a bit too. And im assuming since the tone got deeper, the overall volume was decreased to something that is still loud but not as obnoxious and more liveable right?

Sponsored

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is exactly what Im looking for. Deeper tone. Did the cold starts get toned down quite a bit too. And im assuming since the tone got deeper, the overall volume was decreased to something that is still loud but not as obnoxious and more liveable right?
Yes to both, someone posted earlier that CJ has them for $199.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Did the cold starts get toned down quite a bit too?
Yes. While they are still loud, they are completely tolerable. Before the Borla/FP resonator; I felt sorry for anyone within 30 yards of my car upon a "cold" start. I think the Magnaflow tru-x resonator and the Borla/FP one I have are very, very similar in construction to the point they are virtually identical and yield the same results.

I would recommend either one to anyone who has deleted their cats!

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you have a tuner, ask them to pull the retard out of the cold start routine. It will make your car much quieter at startup. The Roush AB is very raspy (I love it) but I think if I were in your shoes, I'd keep the X-Pipe (Which does make rasp) but swap out the roush AB for a much larger body, and something with a stainless steel perforated tube design. The big chamber will filter out the rasp (Higher frequencies) and the stainless steel packing will absorb the noise and won't degrade like lesser fiberglass packed mufflers.

nameuser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2, 1969 Chevelle
Vehicle Showcase
How about a video? I'd love to hear what you're talking about.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
retard.PNG

Look at how much retard there is at start, but after 150 seconds you are 60 degrees away. Best way to hear it is to record your car start your recording before startup, hit record, then let your car run for 150 seconds -- without touching the gas, switching gears, turning on the A/C and so on.

Then edit the sound clip so that you hear the difference right away.

There are some other tricks, but this one works best to reduce start up sound. Keep in mind the setup doesn't follow this chart exactly because there are tons of other modifiers. The Ford pcm is very complicated and blends many different tables. For example, there is a startup routine that warms up the cats. That's why the idle is higher than normal, but gradually works it's way down - it goes by coolant temp (Not head temp).

Note that the car immediately starts pig rich - it has to - so the one second long "B L A H" st startup won't go away but as soon as it is started (Maybe 1-2 seconds after you kick it over) it sounds quite a bit quieter.

This is from HP Tuners, but I'm sure SCT has a similar set of tables.

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
So I just installed MAK cat deletes on my car. The car has a whipple stage 2 kit on it with ford resonator delete x pipe and roush axle backs. The MAK cat deletes SERIOUSLY made my car ridicously loud. Its funny driving the car because my friend heard me driving late at night about 10 blocks away from his house, roughly half a mile. I knew since I was boosted the MAK cat deletes were going to make my car a ton louder than guys with my same exhaust setup but N/A. I want to tone it down just a little bit as well as get rid of some of the rasp that came with the cat deletes. Ive been thinking about putting the factory suitcase back on the car since its cheap instead of getting the Magnaflow tru x, im just not sure if this is going to make a difference.

What would you all suggest I should do to kill 70% of the rasp and like 20% or so of the volume. I still want the car to be louder than before I took the cats off but not this loud, its ridiculous and honestly undriveable on the street. Some friends suggested suitcase resonator or swap out the roush axle backs for like a magnaflow axle back or something
since you still have your factory resonator i would at least try that vs the xpipe however its not as good of a flowing part of exhaust as the tru x. i put the tru x on and i really like it. i think that or the borla is prob what you need but wouldnt hurt to try the stock again and see how it sounds. you could also get some bottle resonators from vibrant. i had those on before the tru x and then took those off to put the tru x on and it was pretty similar before and after. the tru x for me prob killed 70% of rasp and 20% of the volume.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Currently running catless on my ARH headers with a Krona catback. Insanely loud at WOT over my previous setup and no nasty rasp that I can tell. I can manage the sound pretty well though.
Sponsored