Sponsored

My 2020 GT500 finally reached the finish line!

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Jeebus. Hopefully the swag is shared between dealers and/or buyers and not run straight to eBay for a buck.

I just watched what was on the USB drive. Very cool video that I had yet to see. First, I want to preface it with some things I noticed.

I posted photos of this some time ago. It showed up parked rather nonchalantly at Mid-Ohio for the IMSA races. I knew then that the GT4 wing was going to be on this car (but not the unobtanium model). It had a number of interesting bits on it including GT4 hardware. I did not know it was being used for calibrated testing.

z1-2-XL.jpg

It would have been nice if you could have gotten the wing in a dry carbon or matte look like an actual GT4 wing that they look to be installing on a mule.

z3-2-XL.jpg

This one, fender vents. We've discussed this one a few times now. I knew they tested and were close to becoming a reality. I had never seen this shot until just now...

z2-2-XL.jpg

I uploaded the video. Of note, pay particular attention at the :28 to :31 mark. As much as you see a GT350 dash, I believe this was a GT500 mule. And a manual transmission one at that!

Sponsored

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Jeebus. Hopefully the swag is shared between dealers and/or buyers and not run straight to eBay for a buck.

I just watched what was on the USB drive. Very cool video that I had yet to see. First, I want to preface it with some things I noticed.

I posted photos of this some time ago. It showed up parked rather nonchalantly at Mid-Ohio for the IMSA races. I knew then that the GT4 wing was going to be on this car (but not the unobtanium model). It had a number of interesting bits on it including GT4 hardware. I did not know it was being used for calibrated testing.

z1-2-XL.jpg

It would have been nice if you could have gotten the wing in a dry carbon or matte look like an actual GT4 wing that they look to be installing on a mule.

z3-2-XL.jpg

This one, fender vents. We've discussed this one a few times now. I knew they tested and were close to becoming a reality. I had never seen this shot until just now...

z2-2-XL.jpg

I uploaded the video. Of note, pay particular attention at the :28 to :31 mark. As much as you see a GT350 dash, I believe this was a GT500 mule. And a manual transmission one at that!

Damn that wing makes my pants tight.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Why does thin NOT surprise me?
thin.... you mean this?

Somebody’s trying to make so money off of it that’s for sure.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
E: Many thanks for the post, the info, photos, and clip. Now I'm wondering like everyone else, will I ever SEE any of that swag? <laughing> Thoroughly enjoyed the clip.

But the swag...well, maybe something to GIVE the salesperson after the fact but not nick from the getgo. (No offense to any "Nicks.") <smile>

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
thin.... you mean this?

Somebody’s trying to make so money off of it that’s for sure.
Oops, fat fingered that... I meant why does this NOT surprise me. Everyone trying make a buck. I wish dealers would give these to the people buying the cars.

TexxasGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2018 Rator, 2020 GT500
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford should have offered a swag in a crate option for $1 if you bought the car.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Ford should have offered a swag in a crate option for $1 if you bought the car.
It'd be crazy if ford took a page out of dodge's book and released a drag mustang that is street legal. Call it Cobra Jet (street legal version), limited production like less than 500 units, tuned predator motor, solid axle, no rear seat, single racing seat with optional front passenger seat. $1 option for rear slicks mounted on welds, make sure the two tires can fit in the trunk and an aluminum jack + two jack stands + tools to do the swap.

That would be sick, something to truly go heads up with the Demon. Maybe even call it super cobra jet, even though the non street legal one will be faster/quicker.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
It'd be crazy if ford took a page out of dodge's book and released a drag mustang that is street legal. Call it Cobra Jet (street legal version), limited production like less than 500 units, tuned predator motor, solid axle, no rear seat, single racing seat with optional front passenger seat. $1 option for rear slicks mounted on welds, make sure the two tires can fit in the trunk and an aluminum jack + two jack stands + tools to do the swap.

That would be sick, something to truly go heads up with the Demon. Maybe even call it super cobra jet, even though the non street legal one will be faster/quicker.
I think the DCT took any wind out of that sail.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

They looked at it within the Ford performance ranks. It didn't get approved, but they were pushing for it. Not solid axle, but 18" wheels, small brakes (base GT), remove the road course coolers. With radials...easy 9 second car.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
They looked at it within the Ford performance ranks. It didn't get approved, but they were pushing for it. Not solid axle, but 18" wheels, small brakes (base GT), remove the road course coolers. With radials...easy 9 second car.
But they approved the Mustang Mach E.....
I am so angry at Ford for this.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
It's crazy how they do not have a vision, I mean the gt350 and gt500 are selling with adm, sometimes crazy adm. If ford built a street legal CJ people would be willing to pay adm for that as well.
#ydbt said it would be funny if ford brought back the lightning as an electric truck. That would be crazy cool too, maybe a coyote + electric hybrid lightning.

Also, if a dct is not durable enough for a drag race only type car, what about the a10?

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had some GT500 brake and suspension hardware come in today. I'm still waiting for more as it is early and some parts are difficult to track down (or even get a price for!). I laid out what I had in my shop and took a look at rotors, calipers, and hubs of both the GT350 (back when cross drilling was still in fashion) and the 2020 GT500. When I have everything I'll assemble a complete "module" for each so you can see aesthetic differences as well as physical differences in weight. My apologies if the video has some Transformers shake - I'm old now.

IMG_6314-2-X3.jpg

IMG_6316-2-X2.jpg

IMG_6321-2-X3.jpg

IMG_6319-2-X3.jpg

I gotta say, I installed GT350R calipers on my non-R car and they were gorgeous. The GT500 calipers are in another galaxy. And you really get a taste for how much a carbon ceramic rotor (for example) could have done for this car - at a hefty price of course.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I was lucky enough to have my good friend Mike from Buyfordracing send me a 2020 Ford Performance Parts catalog. I've had every one since back around 1981/1982 When they came back as Ford Motorsport/SVO. So I get the parts ebb and flow as time has passed. I have to say, a couple things were like nails on a chalkboard to me.

2020%20FPP%20catalog%20%282%29-X3.jpg

The biggest error...I remember in Detroit when the GT500 was announced and shown there was an engine on a stand as well as a DCT transmission from Tremec. On the placard below the DCT it said "TREMAC." Ouch. I see it in use at times in the catalog here too. Proof read your catalogs so that you don't screw the name up of one of your largest partners in the industry. Secondly, there is nothing available for the 2020 GT500 - aside from an oil separator (that had to be done in order to include it with OEM sales of CFTP cars). It was disappointing enough to see little to nothing offered for the GT350 but this looks worse. Ford Performance, you have your work cut out for you so please, start crackin'.
Sponsored