shanewendel

shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Sorry for the lack of updates, but I didn't have one. Turns out my service advisor was out for a week the week before last with a medical issue and then again at the end of last week. I don't know what they have done or how long they've actually been working on the car. As far as I know they didn't touch it until last Thursday even though it has been there for almost two weeks.

He said are going to try to misfire monitor reset today and drive it and see what happens. I'm not optimistic.

I've been trying to take the "super nice and patient" approach instead of the screaming and yelling and bugging them all the time. The weather is crap here anyway and I wouldn't be driving it - it's also been kind of nice to have all 3 of my garage spots available for the 3 cars that are still at home. That may change if we make it to the holiday without an answer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
shanewendel

shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Got the car back today. Basically they did all the stuff I had already done, plus inspected the manifold. Finally the ran a misfire monitor reset.

Drove the car home and it still logs a few misfires, but doesnt have the big spikes when you hover in the 3400-4400 RPM range as before and no CEL. So, it seems to be fixed but until I can go on a real drive I won't know for sure.

One thing I don't like is the notes about the supercharger. As far as I know, this engine has never had a supercharger on it, it was the one that was replaced that had it. Is it worth arguing those notes?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
So did they replace an engine that had a supercharger....under warranty??

OP
OP
shanewendel

shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
That's what I was told by the person who pulled the pre-purchase Oasis report. The second owner somehow pulled that off.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I used to be a ford mastertech.........the dealer doesnt want to deal with it and turn into a big problem so they are just washing their hands with it. Did you buy the shelby from this dealer or private?

Sponsored

OP
OP
shanewendel

shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I used to be a ford mastertech.........the dealer doesnt want to deal with it and turn into a big problem so they are just washing their hands with it. Did you buy the shelby from this dealer or private?
Bought it from an Audi dealer. I never got the feeling that they weren't trying to fix it. They actually did do a fair amount of diag, even if it did take ridiculously long.

It's just that last sentence I take issue with. The current engine never had a supercharger on it AFAIK.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Bought it from an Audi dealer. I never got the feeling that they weren't trying to fix it. They actually did do a fair amount of diag, even if it did take ridiculously long.

It's just that last sentence I take issue with. The current engine never had a supercharger on it AFAIK.
lol, they def dont want to deal with it and have it affect their warranty numbers before year end. I personally, would never buy a shelby from a non ford dealer....they take care of cars much better when they were sold through them.....bcuz then you can get the sales guy involved. Trust me, the first thing the service manager asks when it gets to this level is “did they buy it from us”. To be honest i would ask them to prove the car had a supercharger.......but then, since it was bought through audi, it will be your word against theres.

maybe take it to audi with the oasis report and say “this was never disclosed to me prior to purchase and now im having all these issues”

i bought my shelby from the dealer we buy all over our service vans through......thats why i got it $4k below msrp.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
That's what I was told by the person who pulled the pre-purchase Oasis report. The second owner somehow pulled that off.
Appreciate the updates @shanewendel :like:

If you’re still having misfires but not the the extent from before, you’re still having misfires. Maybe they clear after a certain number of cycles- I don’t know for sure...

If you’re going to keep it, I’d do what I could to clarify the history of the car. Do some deep digging into the previous servicing dealer. Call Ford Performance. You should not be guessing if the current engine had a SC.

@Tonymustang302 might be right about the dealer not caring but they did the work (eventually) and gave you areas to look into further.

As for correcting the report, you might be able to clarify based on what you find. I think the SC history will follow this car.

Good Luck!

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
So the first engine was replaced and they say this engine, the second one, had a supercharger on it? I’ve walked from car deals on high performance or speciality ones when the sales guy gets effusive. Mostly at buying off brand sites, that’s is buying a Porsche from a Ford dealers or vice versa

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So the first engine was replaced and they say this engine, the second one, had a supercharger on it? I’ve walked from car deals on high performance or speciality ones when the sales guy gets effusive. Mostly at buying off brand sites, that’s is buying a Porsche from a Ford dealers or vice versa

Yea - that’s where I’m now confused too... the CURRENT engine is a definitive Ford replaced engine and has NO SC on it? Or was the current engine previously repaired when it HAD a SC on it?

OASIS should have the complete history.

I would go right back to the Dealership and have them remove the comment IF the current engine does not have any SC on it - because THAT comment will haunt you every time you go to take it in...

why?

Because with the way that comment is written and reads, it would appear to the next person that your car as it sits today HAD an SC on THAT engine and you have now removed it - trying to get (any) s time warranty work done... they’re gonna think you’re trying to get warranty work done fully knowing the engine had an SC (even though you bought it 2nd hand and it didn’t)...

I would also ask for the OASIS to review with you to see if that engine is in fact a complete replacement OR if it was just a rebuilt OR was never replaced at all.

if you bought it from an Audi Dealer - then they either got it on trade from the original owner who f’d it up and passed it along OR they bought it from auction and they’re passing it along as they know the history (and don’t) just to make a buck on the next sale.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Pop the valve cover and see if the engine code sticker date matches the door jam sticker.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll bet the previous owner brought it in with the supercharger on it and they put the replacement in with the supercharger intact (not sure how this was pulled off under warranty) and then the previous owner pulled it off and sold it before he traded the car in. Unless you have definitive proof that this didn't happen then you probably won't have any luck getting them to modify the notes.

OP
OP
shanewendel

shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Too many posts to quote...

There's no documented evidence that the current engine ever had a supercharger on it, and that's why I have a problem with that last sentence on the service notes. They've never seen this engine with a super charger on it, it's only documented that the _previous_ engine had one. I've already called the Service Advisor and left a voicemail about the note, so I will try to get them to change it.

I detailed the history of the car in the first post but in a nutshell-
1. Owner 1 trades the car in with ~2300 miles in Arizona
2. Owner 2 buys the car, puts a supercharger on it, and blows it up with about ~4500 miles on it
3. Owner 2 somehow gets the engine replaced at another dealership in Arizona (my service advisor friend who looked up Oasis said "not sure how they pulled that off, must've known somebody", but told me that as long as the supercharger wasn't on it now, that future work shouldn't be an issue)
4. Car was traded in and sold to Owner 3 in Kentucky with about ~4600 miles on it
5. Owner 3 traded it in to Audi with ~7200 miles on it
6. I bought it with ~7500 miles

There is no other OASIS warranty work or service reported on the car until the Audi dealer that took it in on trade did an oil change. But given the low amount of miles, that didn't seem abnormal. The owner previous to me put less than 3K miles on it, so he wouldn't have necessarily needed to take it in for anything and he could have changed the oil himself.

I bought the car knowing about the supercharger on the first engine. The car was cheap and it's a driver for me, not a collector piece. I actually saw it as a plus because this engine had less than 3K miles on it. There doesn't seem to be anything mechanically wrong with the car, all the mechanical tests came out good (compression, power balance, etc) and no piston/ring damage was found.

-Shane

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
Just curious how good of a deal you got on the car? I just bought my 2018 a couple of weeks ago, but I passed on several cheaper Ford Buy Backs that had their engines replaced. I did not want to have to sell the car down the road with the stigma of an engine replacement on the Carfax report.

OP
OP
shanewendel

shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Just curious how good of a deal you got on the car? I just bought my 2018 a couple of weeks ago, but I passed on several cheaper Ford Buy Backs that had their engines replaced. I did not want to have to sell the car down the road with the stigma of an engine replacement on the Carfax report.
The engine replacement wasn't on the CarFax, only because I was able to get Oasis did I know about it.
Sponsored