Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
It doesn't bother me that Ford calls it a Mustang, nor a Mach-E. I am ok with whatever else they do with the name, if Ford called my Mustang a Pinto or an Edsel I still would have bought it. The badge means nothing, it doesn't take anything away from my car, it's a different model. Me and William S., "what's in a name...".

It doesn't bother me that Ford is making an electric SUV version of a Mustang. It won't bother me if Ford expands the Mustang brand into: a 4 door sedan; a station wagon; a pickup truck; or even a minivan.

I have my Mustang and as long as Ford keeps making the V8 2 door pony car I want, I will buy it.
Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
It will never be a Mustang because it is not a Mustang.
You don't know what Mustang has become. It has for a while been it's own brand. It's bigger than just a badge/stand-alone-model/nameplate. You're saying it's not good enough to be a sub-brand. You're basically belittling and underestimating the power of what that badge can be. Don't get me wrong, this is indeed a risky move, but I believe it is what's required to keep the Ford brand moving forward. Had this SUV been just another generic "good looking" no name SUV, it would have been just another SUV. Instead, people are getting a Mustang SUV. It looks like a Mustang, goes better than a Mustang, is way more practical and user friendly than a Mustang, and, according to the manufacturer, it is a Mustang.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Which is exactly why they should simply remove the mustang tag and call it the Mach E. I would very likely purchase one for the wifey in the future , but not with a horse on it.
Exactly my thoughts. I would have likely bought one in the future if they didn't slap the pony on it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's the very first point I made here. The Mustang has for a while been it's own brand (or sub-brand if you like), now Ford have made that official by offering it in another body style.
Sorry, but a tallish people-mover doesn't have nearly enough in common with a 2+2 sporty car to justify it hijacking the 2+2's name. That's completely overlooking the EV vs ICE issue.

Norm

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
“It’s time to look at the potential of GM’s supercar brand, Corvette,” Morgan Stanley’s Adam Jonas wrote in a note to clients Tuesday.
Why am I not surprised.
University of Michigan, where he earned his Bachelor’s degree in business administration. After graduation, he landed an investment banking position at Dean Witter in Chicago, covering industrials and…the auto industry.
I'm not a gearhead, I don't collect cars. But I do love the artistry and the passion. When you meet the management teams and the engineers and the line workers in a car factory in Germany or Japan, you see real passion.
from https://www.morganstanley.com/profiles/adam-jonas-managing-director-research

I wonder what happened to American line worker enthusiasm...

This retard would suggest Gillette get into the sock business because well, it's a strong brand and men (er, I guess women too) use razors and wear socks. Or P&G's Tide get into linens because people use soap to wash woven materials. I bring you 'Pillow cases by Tide(tm)'. What, they wash themselves if I put them in a container of water? Is the cotton impregnated with Tide Crystals good for 5 washes before needing to be 'recharged'?

Last edited:

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Sorry, but a tallish people-mover doesn't have nearly enough in common with a 2+2 sporty car to justify it hijacking the 2+2's name. That's completely overlooking the EV vs ICE issue.

Norm
It's height is 2" lower than Urus. There's more "coupe" in this SUV than any other SUV.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
HVAC, radio (aside from volume and skip on the steering wheel), and Lights (Automatic) are only accessible through the touchscreen.
And that's a problem (to me), particularly HVAC.

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
Honestly, at this point why not. I’m sure there will be a Roush version, a Steeda version and a Hennessy version. Welcome to the 2020’s.
The good news is they'll probably take all the Mustang names off the Shelby Mach E. If history repeats, they'll replace them with twice as many Shelby emblems.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
It's height is 2" lower than Urus. There's more "coupe" in this SUV than any other SUV.
Go find me a sports car that's as tall or taller then the Mach E. The Mach E is not a sports car, not a pony car, not a muscle car. Therefore it can never be a Mustang. (And BTW we all here obviously do not give a sh*t that Ford thinks otherwise).

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Go find me a sports car that's as tall or taller then the Mach E. The Mach E is not a sports car, not a pony car, not a muscle car. Therefore it can never be a Mustang. (And BTW we all here obviously do not give a sh*t that Ford thinks otherwise).
LOL ok.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
And that's a problem (to me), particularly HVAC.
I set the temp before driving and leave it on auto. Curious what button you are pressing while driving? I can understand if the vehicle does not have an auto climate mode having to constantly adjust temp but with auto mode, you set it and leave it like a house thermostat?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You don't know what Mustang has become. It has for a while been it's own brand. It's bigger than just a badge/stand-alone-model/nameplate. You're saying it's not good enough to be a sub-brand. You're basically belittling and underestimating the power of what that badge can be.
Mustang has the name recognition, but that doesn't make it a full-blown brand. Maybe if Ford splits their offerings up between separate stores officially labelled "Mustang" and "Ford Truck", but I don't see that happening.

Don't get me wrong, this is indeed a risky move, but I believe it is what's required to keep the Ford brand moving forward. Had this SUV been just another generic "good looking" no name SUV, it would have been just another SUV. Instead, people are getting a Mustang SUV.
What they'll be getting is a con job. A poor choice of name won't sink a good product, nor would a great name save another Edsel.

Ford's vision of their future is by tacit admission EVs and "mobility", and does not include sedans . . . the body style that the ponycar body style is closest to.

... way more practical and user friendly than a Mustang
Pretty much what makes the Mach E "not a Mustang", no matter how many visual similarities or comparable straight line performance metrics may exist. Shortcomings in practicality and user friendliness are actually part of the ponycar Mustang's appeal, defying the need to be practical or utilitarian and demanding a bit more from its drivers (which is a good thing, BTW).

Norm

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Some shots from LA today...
4D34BB7F-5CCB-4BEF-9E52-1B0BC6FDD080.jpeg
2CB64E8B-4F68-43DE-9285-F93078011334.jpeg
9DBCD07B-5114-46C0-9742-DD80C09C5F6D.jpeg

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
and now weve got the SHELBY MACH E SUV on our hands.
This is just taking it too far.
Sponsored