Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
The "brand"ish thing with the Mustang is that it covers the EB/GT, the GT350 and GT500. The cars all look basically the same and their underpinnings are essentially identical. And it's been a 2-door, front-engine, rear drive 2+2 seat conveyance since '68 with certain visual cues to set it apart.

To further vacate your POV, let's see GM produce a 4-door sedan and CUV under the Corvette 'brand'. It makes as much sense and would catch the same amount of disgust.

Porsche is a manufacture == Ford. There is a 'Carrera' brand since 1963 to current. And sure the shapes have evolved over time but the fundamental design parameters and objectives haven't changed. There is no Carrera that is simultaneously applied to a 2-door, 4-door and an SUV.

Just because Ford Marketing burned their dictionary doesn't mean the rest of us can't beat them over the head with it.
That's the very first point I made here. The Mustang has for a while been it's own brand (or sub-brand if you like), now Ford have made that official by offering it in another body style.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I'm 32. I despise vehicles that have controls for major functions only on the screen, and no buttons or knobs. Not only do you have to focus on where the icon you're looking for is, you have to put a significant amount of attention to steadying your hand and placing it. Secondary control of those same things on the touchscreen? Fine! No issue. Or...do what Mazda does and allow for the touchscreen to work when the vehicle is stationary, and use the rotary knob & buttons right in front of the armrest when moving. THAT is called good integration of screen tech.
Aside from one glaring issue (wipers) all important vehicle functions you need while driving are accessible without the screen in the model 3. HVAC, radio (aside from volume and skip on the steering wheel), and Lights (Automatic) are only accessible through the touchscreen.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
When I get up to drive somewhere, luminous screens are something I want to get away from.
Soon enough there won't even be a glass front window. They'll put a 40" screen in it's place and with a swipe of your finger (er, mid-air gesture) you can pan the view to the 4 externally facing cameras positioned around the exterior. How gauche of you to look at the actual world thru an unfiltered analog medium.

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Yes, announced today at the LA Auto Show. The snake is going on a Mustang Mach E.
But of course it is..... Because Ford seems to think that going all in on this SUV bullsh*t is going to win us over somehow....

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Yes, announced today at the LA Auto Show. The snake is going on a Mustang Mach E.
I don’t know what to say.

Ford, why???????????????????

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
But of course it is..... Because Ford seems to think that going all in on this SUV bullsh*t is going to win us over somehow....
Why would they want to win over people that are already buying from them?

They're wanting to win over those that want an SUV that has enough performance to give anything else a black eye and a bloody nose.

Hayburner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Welp, there seals the deal of me ever owning a new FoMoCo again. And I have the snake Inked on me. I did nearly actually puke when I read that. You know the funny thing is ? I have No issue whatsoever with Ford building this pos and even having a Shelby version, but calling it a Mustang , which it clearly isn’t nor will it ever be , is what make me want to bring up yesterday’s lunch out of my mouth. What in the fuck is so wrong about simply calling it a MACH E and not tarnishing your baby(the real mustang) and also in turn not pissing off hundreds of thousands of LOYAL ford fans ?? Get a grip Hackett

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The credits are 'awarded' to Tesla (and GM/Ford etc) directly based on production count and ratio. They then sell the indulgences to other manufacturers. Has nothing to do with the consumer.
Don’t know what credits you are talking about. Maybe you are talking about the EPA and CARB credits that automakers earn by selling (not producing) Plug-in Hybrids, Battery Electric Vehicles and Fuel Cell Vehicles. Those can be accumulated by each automaker and can be bought and sold amongst them. For instance, Tesla generates a lot of credits but has no need for any of them, since all of their vehicles are zero emissions. That allows them to sell their credits to other automakers who have a large deficit.

I think most people are talking about the $7,500 tax credit that BEV buyers can get on qualifying vehicles. All Battery Electric Vehicles and Fuel Cell Vehicles and many Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit. Other Plug-in Hybrids qualify for a graduated fraction of the $7,500 max credit based on how much battery they have and the percentage of time the vehicle is able to operate with the engine off. The credits are available to the buyers up until the automaker whose car they are buying sells 200,000 qualifying vehicles in the US. Then the credit declines to eventually be zero.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/electric-vehicles-tax-credits-and-other-incentives

Yeah, your state prohibits Tesla's direct to customer (no dealer) sales model.
Michigan also prohibits Tesla’s direct to customer sales model. A neighbor on the next block has a Model 3. A guy in my office sold his G8 GXP and bought a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Hardly a day goes by that I don’t see 2 - 5 other Teslas in the course of my travels. All this in a state where you cannot buy one. We’re an hour from the Ohio border, where you can buy them.

Soon enough there won't even be a glass front window. They'll put a 40" screen in it's place and with a swipe of your finger (er, mid-air gesture) you can pan the view to the 4 externally facing cameras positioned around the exterior. How gauche of you to look at the actual world thru an unfiltered analog medium.
Back around 2006 - 7 I saw prototypes of a full windshield HUD.

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Time for an electric Corvette SUV, one analyst says
Bold idea also calls for standalone Corvette brand
greg-migliore.jpg
Greg Migliore

Nov 20th 2019 at 3:15PM
2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-033.jpg

With the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E debuting this week, one influential analyst says it’s time for General Motors to follow suit with the Chevy Corvette and create an electric crossover, which would anchor a Corvette sub-brand.

“It’s time to look at the potential of GM’s supercar brand, Corvette,” Morgan Stanley’s Adam Jonas wrote in a note to clients Tuesday. “Historically the thought of GM expanding Corvette into anything beyond its single-model status would have been brand hersey. But times are changing in global autos.”

Jonas says a Corvette sub-brand could be worth $7 to $12 billion. The mid-engine Vette would remain the anchor, but a hypothetical electrified SUV wearing the Corvette badge would also join the portfolio and allow the new brand to sell perhaps 80,000 vehicles per year by the mid-2020s and 100,000 units annually by the end of the decade. Corvette could also add a higher end supercar priced around $150,000 to round out this portfolio. While this might sound audacious, rumors are already picking up over further expansion of the Mustang line. Chevy has sold 14,497 Corvettes this year through the September. The mid-engine C8 starts production in February.

Chevy declined to comment on the Morgan Stanley report. “We appreciate everyone’s excitement about this iconic brand, but we will not engage in the speculation,” a spokesman told Autoblog, echoing GM CEO Mary Barra’s comments during the company’s third-quarter earnings call.

Jonas points to Ferrari, which was spun off from Fiat Chrysler in 2016, as an example of a supercar brand that grew from its niche within FCA to a powerhouse company worth an estimated $30 billion. Such a move would unlock Corvette’s true value within Chevy and GM, where the nameplate is undervalued, he argued. Ferrari is also pursuing plans for an SUV.

“In essence, we think the Corvette brand is undervalued and under-appreciated by the market,” said Jonas, who projects Corvette’s current value as $2 billion.

The Mustang Mach-E is an expansion of the Mustang lineup to include a new body style and electrification, and Ferrari is an independent company that’s publicly traded. The Morgan Stanley analyst’s suggestion for Corvette is in the middle, simply giving it status as its own brand within GM, though Jonas said there’s benefits to a full spin-off with GM retaining some equity.

Electrification would also allow Corvette to achieve higher levels of performance than internal combustion engines allow on their own, while adding an SUV body style would open the brand up to an entirely different consumer set, Jonas noted.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/20...l47bO-lbOqfg_U58cHt2Q97HDa9MryVShWE31lgm9YNDY

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Why would they want to win over people that are already buying from them?

They're wanting to win over those that want an SUV that has enough performance to give anything else a black eye and a bloody nose.
They know they had an uphill battle convincing people that this is a real mustang. One way to try to do that would be to show the company "going all in" and making everything about the SUV as mustang as possible. The problem is, myself and clearly ALOT of other people will never accept an SUV as a mustang.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Looks fantastic in this rendering. Pity the real thing lost all that aggression!

Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-2019-design-sketch-front-side.jpg
Can anyone with Photoshop skills turn this into a real 2 door coupe mustang? I bet it would look badass.

Hayburner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They know they had an uphill battle convincing people that this is a real mustang. One way to try to do that would be to show the company "going all in" and making everything about the SUV as mustang as possible. The problem is, myself and clearly ALOT of other people will never accept an SUV as a mustang.
Which is exactly why they should simply remove the mustang tag and call it the Mach E. I would very likely purchase one for the wifey in the future , but not with a horse on it.
Sponsored