ZL1addons splitter extension

takzGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
raman
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
It would also be interesting to notice if (on car's this happened to) did it just pull it down slightly, or did it actually rip the bumper off. Important distinction.
Im trying to find that thread here where i saw it. didnt rip the whole bumper off but ripped the bumpers chin off and cracked the bumper where the rods were bolted on. so yeah he will def need a new bumper replacement for that. thats all i can think off when i try to drive fast lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Im trying to find that thread here where i saw it. didnt rip the whole bumper off but ripped the bumpers chin off and cracked the bumper where the rods were bolted on. so yeah he will def need a new bumper replacement for that. thats all i can think off when i try to drive fast lol
Yeah, that's definitely concerning. And mounting the rods to the bumper itself is not great plan. At the very least I'd mount it to the crash bar. Shame that a lot of vendors are not aware of this problem. The less functional splitter lips seem fine but once you get into the more functional ones, care needs to be taken. That's probably what I'll do eventually - get the PP belly pan and splitter and the ZL1 extension and mount rods to crash bar.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I suppose if you just had a daily driver where you never really went over 70-80mph it doesn't matter so much, but I intend to use mine on track where I will frequently see 125+ mph and if these things are causing issues it's not worth it for the visual flair they provide.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Bringing this thread back to life...

I absolutely love the look of this splitter and have been on the fence about purchasing it for awhile now. I've also been in an internal debate with myself of whether to mount it with just fasteners or chassis mount the thing with support rods. I personally think it looks cleaner without the rods and would be fine on streets but since my car does see track time and speeds of 140+ I think i'm going to have to chassis mount it. Better safe than sorry, don't want it ripping off while on track and causing other issues.

CJ Pony Parts has the same splitter for $135 as well if anyone is still looking.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Bringing this thread back to life...

I absolutely love the look of this splitter and have been on the fence about purchasing it for awhile now. I've also been in an internal debate with myself of whether to mount it with just fasteners or chassis mount the thing with support rods. I personally think it looks cleaner without the rods and would be fine on streets but since my car does see track time and speeds of 140+ I think i'm going to have to chassis mount it. Better safe than sorry, don't want it ripping off while on track and causing other issues.

CJ Pony Parts has the same splitter for $135 as well if anyone is still looking.
I think as long as you're mounting the support rods to the crash bar you will be fine. I plan on doing the same, just gotta figure exactly how.

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I agree, i find it odd that those who sell splitter do not sell brackets to mount it to the crash bar. There is only one company, MFR Engineering i found and at a hefty price. I reached out to them and this was their response:
Hi Warren,
Sorry we do not sell out brackets separately. The chassis mounted splitter mounts to the subframe with our brackets and to other parts of the frame and also with our chassis brackets that mounts to the bash bar for the splitter rods.

https://mfrengineering.com/products/ford-mustang-s550-front-splitter

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I plan to get some larger L brackets from Home Depot and Rivenut the brackets to the crash bar. Then bolt the support rods to the brackets. I'll be sure to make a write up here whenever I do pull the trigger on this.
This method still likely won't support 200+ lbs but it doesn't need to. If it withstands 100 lbs, I'd be happy. I doubt it would generate much more downforce than that anyway. The splitter itself protrudes more on the corners than it does on the very front of the car which from a CFD analysis, the generated downforce starts to drop off on the corners as the air speed picks up.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, i find it odd that those who sell splitter do not sell brackets to mount it to the crash bar. There is only one company, MFR Engineering i found and at a hefty price. I reached out to them and this was their response:
Hi Warren,
Sorry we do not sell out brackets separately. The chassis mounted splitter mounts to the subframe with our brackets and to other parts of the frame and also with our chassis brackets that mounts to the bash bar for the splitter rods.

Most people just buy these for looks and don't get to speeds where it would need to be mounted to the crash bar. From a manufacturer standpoint, if I know 85% of my customers won't use this product as functionally intended, I wouldn't include mounts either. Maximize profits.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Most people just buy these for looks and don't get to speeds where it would need to be mounted to the crash bar. From a manufacturer standpoint, if I know 85% of my customers won't use this product as functionally intended, I wouldn't include mounts either. Maximize profits.
very valid point

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Hi Warren,

Finally though.. A real splitter for this car. On the manufacturer's website you can see a guy standing on it, which is how it should be. Needs to be rigid. However, something like this isn't going to be comparable to a real race car splitter, which would be even longer and extremely low to the ground. That said this should provide some positive aero effect. How much IDK.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's an extremely quick-and-dirty diagram of how to mount to the crash bar. This would be a cross section view

upload_2019-11-20_11-4-4.png

You might be able to mount the support rod ends directly to the crash bar as well, now that I think about it...

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Im feeling pretty confident on mounting the splitter but which one? I dont know. Either the APR or ZL1 ....

the APR is more involved because it is bigger and having a PP car, I will need to cut the splitter so it uncovers the cooling channels. I dont mind it though even though its not a common modification

watched @honeybadger's YT video last night and it looked doable...by sight lol

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Personally after removing the bumper a couple times, it's apparent how weak the mounting is.
Im feeling pretty confident on mounting the splitter but which one? I dont know. Either the APR or ZL1 ....

the APR is more involved because it is bigger and having a PP car, I will need to cut the splitter so it uncovers the cooling channels. I dont mind it though even though its not a common modification

@Biggsy - I have a APR splitter just FYI. If you're interested in trying we could work somethin' out. Just sayin'.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I personally would not spend a lot of money on this. These are prone to getting beat up. Carbon fiber is too expensive to get trashed and replaced as needed. Most racers build one out of Birch Plywood. Hell, most GT3 race teams use plywood with a single layer of carbon fiber on top.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase