Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If I'm in the market for a 2-door V-8 powered pony car, why does the existence of an electric SUV make me more or less likely to buy the car? Because it has a badge and a name that are the same?
Today it doesn't matter.

Try looking further into the future. Say, 5 years or so.

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You don't like this direction? Mustang is too good to be an SUV?
It's not that. It's that an SUV is too different to be a Mustang. Kind of like how cricket is different from baseball.

Well, ok, perhaps you're the type that would think Mustang is also above the Bentley, RR, and Lamborghini brands.

Without Urus you can't have the likes of the hypercars that Lamborghini want to make. They need it to succeed, just like Porsche needed the Cayenne to succeed.
As has been mentioned several times already, SUVs from those brands did not trade on the names of their respective company's sportier and/or more traditional models for their success. Ford should have taken the same approach. Being different here doesn't mean better.

Norm

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I blame John Clor. He is supposed to be the liaison between the enthusiast and FoMoCo. Either FoMoCo doesn't listen when he speaks, or he failed to do his job. Either way he should resign.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
They will sell every one they make.

Don't like it... don't buy one.

Here, on a MUSTANG board, the poll results show that a majority of the voters don't care either way. Guess what... the general public cares even less.

Ford exists to sell cars to the masses, not appease a tiny demographic of angry Mustang coupe owners.
You realize that's what auto makers do, right? They sell every car they make. They don't just abandon unwanted vehicles in a field somewhere.

You're misrepresenting the poll. The poll doesn't ask whether people care. It asks whether they care enough for it to impact their buying decision. 34% say that it does. While that's a minority that's a much higher bar than "do you care". It's suggesting a direct impact on sales. How much impact is hard to say. But if 50% of strongest opinions are swayed and 10% of weaker opinions are swayed then you're looking at an additional 5% drop in real Mustang sales every year going forward.

Make no mistake, Ford is only willing to burn this brand because they consider the traditional Mustang dead. This year the relentless decline of Mustang sales (in a boom economy, no less) will put it where Taurus sales were five years ago, and on roughly the same trend. The poll suggests that this move will accelerate that trend. Instead of positioning the Mustang to win market share in a declining segment (which is why the Accord still outsells Ford's top SUV) they've put it up on blocks and have started stripping it for parts.

Part of the reason that Ford is struggling to sell cars to the masses is that their cars don't mean anything to wider public. Everytime someone comes in and makes progress on building brand loyalty some moron like Hacket takes over and trashes it. There were two exceptions. Mustang and F150. Now there's one.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Without Urus you can't have the likes of the hypercars that Lamborghini want to make.
Had Lambo named the Urus the Huracan-E instead, you'd see the utter stupidity of it. That is precisely what Ford just did.

Oddly enough I wouldn't have any great animus if Ford had come out with a Mustang E-Wagon. Use the S550 and bodywork as is (or an inch longer, no more than 2 inches higher off the ground) and extend the roofline straight back ala Dodge Magnum. See even Dodge had the sense not to name it the 300-Wagon or Charger-Wagon though that is basically what it was.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
It can't be a Lincoln as the interior wouldn't meet the Lincoln requirements. Cost cutting is in abundance in Battery vehicles due to the costs with the electrification. Can't put in a very nice interior without also driving up the price even higher.

Like it or not, utilizing the Mustang nameplate was a good idea. It certainly has created a buzz, partial controversy and partial excitement.

The Venn diagram between traditional Mustang owners and people who would buy an electric vehicle are virtually completely separate circles, so whether or not traditional mustang fans like this vehicle in the end doesn't really matter as they weren't going to buy it anyways.

I think judging the vehicle on its own, it's great. I would've preferred it simply being called "Mach E" but I don't really care in the end. I'll be looking at this and a Bronco in a year or so.
The Venn diagram is completely separate if you assume people are only buying 1 car for 1 purpose. But that is not most of America. I can easily see a garage with a GT350 or 5.0 on one side and the MachE on the other. That is what Ford is shooting for. And maybe a F150 sitting in the driveway.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
he has is trusty bong at his side and seemingly endless Wall St money and generous gov't indulgences to sell. IF Ford can actually produce a vehicle with *good* quality, Tesla is toast even if the Ford doesn't have the 0-60 or max range.
Have you ever actually seen a Tesla in person and sat in one before? I have had 2 S550s that had worse panel alignment and quality issues then my current Tesla.

Wall Street overwhelmingly wants Tesla to fail as evidence by shorts...

To what government indulgences are you referring to? The tax credit that every EV qualifies for including the Mach E and then one Teslas will not be eligible for at the end of the year???

Tesla still has the lead here but I don't doubt that they will not be able to keep up with automakers in the future if they can't figure out how to make a vehicle assembly line more efficient. That's where selling their battery and drivetrain tech will come in handy. Tesla could and likely will become the number 1 manufacturer for EV batteries and drivetrains using their gigafactories.

Hayburner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The Venn diagram is completely separate if you assume people are only buying 1 car for 1 purpose. But that is not most of America. I can easily see a garage with a GT350 or 5.0 on one side and the MachE on the other. That is what Ford is shooting for. And maybe a F150 sitting in the driveway.
Except that’s not how it will go, no one I know wants their high performance mustang sitting next to a little suv , with the same name. Yuck

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The all-new, all-electric Mustang Mach-E. It’s fast. It’s fun. It’s freedom. For a new generation of Mustang owners.” Bill Ford

This is what it's all about- new generation. I'm sure they did a lot of consumer studies and found out that the next generation of car buyers are not going to buy 5.0 Mustang coupes in any significant volume and they didn't want to let an iconic badge die like the GTO or 442.

BuckeyeBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mustang 545cid, 2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Z/28, 2013 Charger 392
The all-new, all-electric Mustang Mach-E. It’s fast. It’s fun. It’s freedom. For a new generation of Mustang owners.” Bill Ford

This is what it's all about- new generation. I'm sure they did a lot of consumer studies and found out that the next generation of car buyers are not going to buy 5.0 Mustang coupes in any significant volume and they didn't want to let an iconic badge die like the GTO or 442.

Except most of these will be bought by Boomer women, especially given the price. While I think it will hold some appeal to certain Millennials, they usually can't or have no desire to spend that much on a vehicle.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Except that’s not how it will go, no one I know wants their high performance mustang sitting next to a little suv , with the same name. Yuck
Maybe in North Dakota, but in any metro, urban area (80% of US population) people will have different views. I run into this all the time restoring old bikes. Older guys want it original- like when they were growing up. Younger guys want a cafe style resto-mod. Age matters and Ford knows us old guys are dying out and leaving our estates to a younger generation who don't like the same stuff we grew up with. Honestly, If I bought one, I would take the ponys off of it anyways. They just look tacked on. Probably be 1000 Chinese made MachE emblems to replace the ponys on ebay in a couple months, lol.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Except most of these will be bought by Boomer women, especially given the price. While I think it will hold some appeal to certain Millennials, they usually can't or have no desire to spend that much on a vehicle.
Not sure they're going after millennials with this. Maybe GenX and boomers. Most of the GenX folks I know are doing pretty well and able to afford a 40K car pretty easily. I also think that most of these will be leased.
Sponsored