Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
300K mile fleet Teslas... and this-
In New York City’s fleet, the Chevrolet Bolt had the lowest maintenance cost in 2018, followed by the Nissan Leaf, electric Ford Focus, the hybrid Fusion and hybrid Toyota Prius. Gas cars and the Chevy Volt were at the bottom of the list, with the gas-powered Focus requiring nine times more maintenance than the Bolt.

https://autoweek.com/article/green-...d-ev-fleet-operator-has-some-interesting-data
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
NO NO NO!!!!! TRAITOR!!!!!!
Hey, I'm a defender of the faith - both of my cars are Hot Rod Fords with Manuals - the wife was thinking about a Tesla, but after she saw the Mach E she said that's what I want. OK - it's cooler than the other electric SUVs out there. But I'm going to slam gears as long as I'm able.

Now we just have get her SRT8 JCC to last another 1.5 y (until the GT comes out).

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
For me, this has nothing to do with gas vs electric. I'd be perfectly fine with it if this were a proper electric Mustang coupe. That would be a big positive for Ford and the brand. It's co-opting the Mustang name for an SUV that is the problem.
I think an all electric sports car will be in the making.

But hey, I respect tradition as much as anyone, but Ford can do what Ford wants with its property. I've purchased 6 new Mustangs in my life (all manuals) and probably should grab a GT350 before they are gone - I've done my part to keep the tradition going.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
When I was 18 I had a brand new LX 5.0 that I marketed to secretaries and single mothers...those were the days friend.
The new Mach E might be a MILF magnet, lol.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Porsche is an iconic manufacturers name for high performance sports cars. Their brand managers start from there and then create iconic model names. Ford is an iconic name for a manufacturer of all kinds of vehicles. The only iconic brands they have are Mustang and F150. There is a difference. Ford does not have idiot brand managers. They have brand managers who do what their bosses tell them to do. Somebody way, way up the ladder wanted to use Mustang as a brand for the future. And that's exactly what the brand managers did.
Porsche is a division of Volkswagon..........

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
After seeing this I am now even more upset, what a swing and a miss.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
with the gas-powered Focus requiring nine times more maintenance than the Bolt
oh that's easy. NYC driving is mostly stop and go with lots of sitting around in near idle. Perfect application of electrics. If their customers were anything like the Yellow Cab drivers, any 10 ft hole was promptly greeted with the accellerator on the floor just to break up the monotony. That's murder on ICE.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
After seeing this I am now even more upset, what a swing and a miss.

Good video, thanks for sharing. Drives home the point as to why they made the right decision.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
A wise man once said..."the Mustang II is now officially not the ugliest Mustang ever made."

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
When we drive our real Mustang cars, every one of us has had people comment about the car. Always a positive comment to. I reckon those same kinds of folks will see the pony on that electric abortion and just say WTF!

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
So, while I don't really care that there is now a different "Mustang" in the stable, it does seem like Ford has just thrown away the meaning of the Mustang. It has nothing to do with tradition, or history, but rather projecting a clear image about what that brand means. That message of the Mustang is now distorted and unclear, and I think that will affect how people think of the car going forward.
This

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
One thing I'm having a hard time over. It's pretty clear your "traditional" Mustang buyer (us!) is not interested in this car and won't buy it. Your "traditional" EV buyer would probably never consider a traditional Mustang either as its a gas guzzling dinosaur. So why would Ford think branding this as a Mustang would attract EV buyers? Potentially, you're alienating your two biggest markets!

Of course, there are many shades of grey between those two extremes, but it still puzzles me why Ford took this decision.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I've been in the industry long enough to remember when the Oldsmobile Cutlass was the top selling car in the US for several years running. I also remember how as Oldsmobile was beginning its downswing, they slapped the name Cutlass on everything. Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass Calias, Cutlass Ciera.

Not saying that this was the cause of Oldsmobile eventually taking a bullet to the head, but it certainly didn't help.

As far as the Mach E is concerned, I think Ford hit a home run with the vehicle design, function, and market segmentation. I also think they shanked a foul with the name. I understand why they did it, but wish they had not. Since a large segment of the population that will consider buying it only have a passing interest in the Mustang sport coupe, it'll sell well. And since, judging by a lot of the responses here, people with a deep interest in the sports coupe don't really give a rip about small crossovers, the sports coupe will also continue to do fine.

At the end of the day, when it's time for us to replace my wife's Volt, it will no doubt be on the list. We'll see what else pops up in EV world between now and then.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Here, on a MUSTANG board, the poll results show that a majority of the voters don't care either way.
I think you're overlooking the unspoken assumption that most of us have been making . . .

That the future ponycar Mustang will NOT start to pick up any SUV cues and gradually morph away from what it is today. That we'll still be able to buy a Mustang that's much like the current 2+2 coupe and convertible.

Ford exists to sell cars to the masses, not appease a tiny demographic of angry Mustang coupe owners.
I don't think Ford wants to sell cars at all. If enthusiasm for the Mustang was down around the Fusion/Taurus level, the Mustang as a ponycar might be in line for being phased out as well. Maybe think on that a bit . . .

Norm
Sponsored