Jassimfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jassim
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT convertible
Hello.

I've a 2017 GT convertible, which came with 235/50/18 Pirellis. I recently had to change tires, they were pretty much worn out, and I replaced them 235/50/18 Nitto N555 G2s, exactly the same size.

But now when I turn the wheel fully/almost fully either right or left at very low speeds, uturns etc I can hear the front tires rubbing ( which I assume is against the fender)

I checked clearance, everything is fine, nothing was done to the car and the tires are the same size, is there any reason for this rubbing and how to stop it?
Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not all tires are created equal. Each manufacturer and model will vary in size. More than likely, the g2’s run wider than what was on there before. Are you lowered or modified at all?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
PP1 rims and pirellis rears will fit on front with 5mm spacers. Square setup.

Sames rims with PS4s rub shock tower. Ask me how I know.

OP
OP

Jassimfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jassim
Vehicle(s)
Not all tires are created equal. Each manufacturer and model will vary in size. More than likely, the g2’s run wider than what was on there before. Are you lowered or modified at all?

Not modded at all, is this slight rub serious/can cause damage and what is the best way to get rid of it? Also the tires are currently inflated to 36-38 psi, could it be a reason?

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's a stumper--I don't get why 235/18 would rub if Ford puts 255/19 with just about the same diameter on the PP1 cars--are the wheel offsets that different?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jassimfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jassim
Vehicle(s)
That's a stumper--I don't get why 235/18 would rub if Ford puts 255/19 with just about the same diameter on the PP1 cars--are the wheel offsets that different?
I don't get it, shouldn't the offset not change if I didn't change the rims? I only changed the tires on the same wheels

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hello.

I've a 2017 GT convertible, which came with 235/50/18 Pirellis. I recently had to change tires, they were pretty much worn out, and I replaced them 235/50/18 Nitto N555 G2s, exactly the same size.

But now when I turn the wheel fully/almost fully either right or left at very low speeds, uturns etc I can hear the front tires rubbing ( which I assume is against the fender)

I checked clearance, everything is fine, nothing was done to the car and the tires are the same size, is there any reason for this rubbing and how to stop it?
Probably most obvious that you may have already checked:
Make sure the tire center put the fronts on the front and not the rears on the fronts...

If it’s not a swap issue, then it could be an alignment issue. Did you have the car aligned after the tire install and if so, do you have the alignment sheet to post up (there’s some good guys on here that can immediately tell if your alignment specs are out, even if the guy who did it said “they’re all in the green”).

OP
OP

Jassimfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jassim
Vehicle(s)
Probably most obvious that you may have already checked:
Make sure the tire center put the fronts on the front and not the rears on the fronts...

If it’s not a swap issue, then it could be an alignment issue. Did you have the car aligned after the tire install and if so, do you have the alignment sheet to post up (there’s some good guys on here that can immediately tell if your alignment specs are out, even if the guy who did it said “they’re all in the green”).
The car DOES indeed need alignment, but I didn't align it at the same place and planning to take it in the next 2 days to a better shop, but I didn't consider alignment to be the cause as much because never did it cause a car for me to rub before
Sponsored