Sponsored

Poll: Hard top mustang convertible

If offered, would you purchase a mustang hard top convertible?

• Yes

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Oh, I'd also say that a SmartTop module resolves a couple of the shortcomings (vs. my other cross shopped car, a ZL1 convertible), in terms of functionality, specifically, one touch operation and operation at X speed.
Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
If the hardtop didn't take up 80% of the trunk space like all other hard tops do, and wasn't some kind of crazy premium compared to the already overpriced vinyl convertible, maybe.

I'd rather Ford bring back the panorama roof (although don't charge $2k for it).

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I had a 95 SVT Hard Top convertible. It was a rare and interesting car, but I almost never put the hard top on it because it made the convertible very heavy as you're carrying all the extra convertible hardware AND a hard top. With the hard top it installed it only had the structural integrity of a convertible. For me there wasn't much positive about having the hard top installed except to make the track folks think I had a hard top and not require me to install a roll bar.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I want a convertible. Bought a 2015 Yellow GT coupe for fun. Bought a 08 GT Yellow Convertible for road trips.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Nope, wouldn't be interested, not at all.
I like the classic look and the trunk space is great. Since I've had cars broken into by breaking windows security is a non issue for me. My cloth top is 2+ years old and looks great. I've had vinyl tops in the past and was constantly babying them and still had to restitch seams every 6 to 12 months. No such issues with this one.

Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I love convertibles, always have. I've always known that if I ever bought a Mustang, it would be a convertible, and it is! I have nothing against hard top convertibles in principle, but in application, most of the time, I'm not impressed with them. They add a lot of weight and complexity that I find unnecessary and relatively speaking, take forever to lower and raise. In most cases, they also render the trunk almost totally useless if you intend to put the top down. For me, that's a deal breaker.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I get why manufacturers are making hard top convertibles. I've yet to see a good looking soft top convertible with the top up. With the top down, convertibles are sexy. But they all look like the design was unfinished and the designers didn't know what to do when that soft top is up. Miata looks acceptable, but still meh.

It's why I prefer a targa roof or a sunroof.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
To each his own. I like the way Mustang convertible tops look, deployed. Seems to me the designers did a fine job of integrating the mechanically necessary top's shape with the overall below-the-beltline car shape's lines. I like the appearance of the top-up car better than the top-down, which seems a little hip-y to me. This 2006 looks clean and balanced to me. I just wish the 2019 was as clean.

Mustang2006TopUpStadiumRRV.jpg

Mustang2006TopUpStadiumLRV.jpg

I believe I have answered the question of "Would you buy one" earlier in the thread, and if I recall correctly I said "Not if is my only car", or words to that effect. Those noted shortcomings come into play in too many areas to make the car as useful as it should be.
Sponsored