Sponsored

C8 just got crushed and humiliated by the GT500

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I was 26 when I got my first Vette. I’ll probably be 60-ish when I get a C8 (Pretty sure it’ll be that or a GTxxx). Thing is, I will certainly use it more like it was intended to be used than I did when I was 26. I already do more with my Camaro than I ever did with any of the Corvettes I’ve owned.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
You know what they say....the memory is the second thing to go....now, if I could only remember what the first thing is....
Hahaha, the wife and I have a pact, we start getting really forgetful, it's time for a pillow over the face ... :D

Sometimes I'll misplace my keys or something, "Hey babe, have you seen my keys", I turn around, she's standing there with a pillow :crackup:

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
"Max effort top model Mustang barely beats base model entry level Corvette"

I'd sure hope so...

Both vehicles are awesome either way.

Sponsored

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
"Max effort top model Mustang barely beats base model entry level Corvette"

I'd sure hope so...

Both vehicles are awesome either way.
more base model GT500 beats all new, mid engine, max engineering effort Corvette.”
I mean, if you really care about accuracy.

don’t worry though. There will be higher tiers of both cars.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Here’s one way to soothe the sting of being “crushed and humiliated”

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-corvette-c8-2020-car-of-the-year/

I do have to wonder, though, why GT500 wasn’t in the field of consideration. And I don’t mean that in a “nyah-Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah sorta way. I mean that in a “MT should be reviewing the best cars available” sorta way. Maybe Ford just didn’t make it available?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Everyone knew the corvette was winning. It's an entirely new design from the ground up and offers excellent performance at an excellent price-point. If you read through the article, notice they even "overlook" certain criteria such as crash rating (as they are currently unavailable).

"Safety is trickier with the Corvette, as neither IIHS nor NHTSA have or will crash-test it, but based on safety scores for GM's other recent offerings, we'll give Chevrolet the benefit of the doubt here."

Even if the GT500 was in the running, no way was it going to get the nod over the vette.

On a side note, a quote I found odd in that article.

"Value is where the C8 goes off the charts. Why would you buy a BMW M4 for the same money?"

Last time I checked, the M4 seats 4 and the corvette only 2. The M4 is also offered with a manual transmission for those that care.

The value is there, but it's ignorant to think that this suddenly makes the M4 somehow obsolete. They are two very different cars. Such a silly statement by motortrend.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Motor Trend wrote that article like they just got or were trying to get an advertising check from GM. I agree the C8 is an important new car and that it's special and a good choice for car of the year - even if the GT500 is much faster and better in every way.

But calling the base C8 a supercar over and over is lame in my opinion. The base C8 will get whipped by the real supercars. It's more like the red-headed stepchild of a supercar.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
But calling the base C8 a supercar over and over is lame in my opinion. The base C8 will get whipped by the real supercars. It's more like the red-headed stepchild of a supercar.
Totally agree. The term "supercar" is used far too liberally with the corvette and has been for years.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

I do have to wonder, though, why GT500 wasn’t in the field of consideration. And I don’t mean that in a “nyah-Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah sorta way. I mean that in a “MT should be reviewing the best cars available” sorta way. Maybe Ford just didn’t make it available?
LOL motor trend says. Dont ad to this dumpster fire with motor trend. They're only the bible on your forum.

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

that’s an easy answer: when you are trying to give an award to something, you are careful to not have it standing right next to something else that spanks it.

common sense.

In fairness to the award, the c8 has navigated a shift to midengine - and it worked. So that’s really something. It’s an entirely new platform that represents many decades of attempts, prototypes, and desire to get there. And now we are here.

It’s funny, a couple months ago in this forum, some of us pointed out that the gt500 interior was so much nicer than the zr1 interior. And the vette had its defendants come up and try to fight for honor. Now, in the very article that lauds the c8, they mention how the corvette interior has always been trash until now. Just thought that was interesting. I guess it’s easier to admit it when you finally solve the issue.

As to why didn’t they want to include the 500 to Compare with the c8? Simple. See the title of this thread. It would look quite silly to have a comparison like that and give the award to the KO victim. kinda messing with you a bit there Jim. This bit here is more for the trolls. Not for you.

Is the c8 worthy of the honor? I’d say it’s premature since the data points Millhouse points out are missing. but is put a vote in myself. It’s an exciting turning point for the Vette in terms of direction. And something of N intangible - represent what seems to be a commitment to internal combustion engine performance for years to come.

I favor the Mustang. But if GM is investing in the vette as an exhaust snorting, fire breathing, vomit inducing autobeast, and not cheapening it’s name by also coming out with an all electric crossover Volt and slapping the Corvette Z06 logo on it, then it has my vote as well.

As a side note, Fords reveal of the MachE, where a bunch of Mustangs take off from a starting line and pass MachE going the opposite direction, only for it to double back, somehow catch up, and then lead the pack was beyond a slap to the CARs and the badge. There is a way to drum excitement about the vehicle without tarnishing the proudest cars in Fords heritage. This was not it. They should have auto Razzie awards and give those out to this reveal.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Now, in the very article that lauds the c8, they mention how the corvette interior has always been trash until now. Just thought that was interesting. I guess it’s easier to admit it when you finally solve the issue.
Just about every article said the same thing about the C7, which was generally praised as being the first Vette with a good interior.

As for the Mach E.. at least they didn't slap a Mustang front end on an Escape like GM did with the Blazer.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just about every article said the same thing about the C7, which was generally praised as being the first Vette with a good interior.

As for the Mach E.. at least they didn't slap a Mustang front end on an Escape like GM did with the Blazer.
I think the 'vette interior gets criticized more than it should. Even my '04 interior is pretty good for that old of a car in my opinion. The interior panels aren't hard plastic. They are wrapped in a soft material. It's probably a synthetic material rather than leather, but it's way nicer than most Mustang interiors. I think my GT350 interior was good, but there were a lot of hard plastic panels in there.

The 'vette interior isn't perfect, but it's good for a vehicle with all its features and at its price point.

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Just watched Leno's Garage with him driving the C8 convertible - which was... governed, so it didn't deliver full power - something he noticed right away. you could see him step not he gas and was like... um... LOL

But the classic line of the show came toward the end when he says "you know what I like most about the Corvette? They didn't slap the Corvette badge on some SUV or something."

Boom.

But then a scary response came back... "Oh, you don't think we should do that? we get asked all the time to do that." YIKES! But then a more guarded follow up about the C8 specifically being the drivers car, etc. Makes me worry though. Sounds like they're at least thinking about it.
Sponsored