CD Player in 2019 ?

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I spent many years of my life in the optical disc industry in various engineering and leadership roles... including some time at a plant in Toronto Fatguy. We started up many of the formats that defined the optical industry. In the early 90's it was hard to understand that we would be in a time today where many kids don't know (or care) what a CD even is. That's technology though... physical media going from records, then magnetics... exiting with optical. Quality standards in music have definitely gone to hell but then again the voice of the customer, both content providers and end users, has steered us in this direction. Security threats making physical media are tough to manage, and end users seem less and less interested in having anything tangible to manage except a smartphone.

I guess us "old guys" just roll with it! And while I'll always proudly maintain my CD collection, I no longer roll with a visor-wallet.

:lol:
Us "old guys"....... Hell, I just sold my entire vinyl collection (about 1000 records) to a used record store. The fully thing is most of these records were purchased by me at the same store 30+ years ago. I would have sold my cassette and VHS collections too, but they didn't want those. LOL But I still maintain a substantial CD collection. Just don't have the heart to sell them and listen to mp3's on my home system.:D
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Us "old guys"....... Hell, I just sold my entire vinyl collection (about 1000 records) to a used record store.
Never could warm up to them newfangled floppy vinyl records, sonny. So holding onto my shellac 78s.

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
I also use audio books from the library for long trips. I have heard all the old songs and don't like the new ones.
Lee.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
I would have sold my cassette and VHS collections too, but they didn't want those. LOL But I still maintain a substantial CD collection. Just don't have the heart to sell them and listen to mp3's on my home system.:D
VHS collections were truly a waste of money and an epic fail. They just take up too much room, and the visual and audio quality on them is garbage.

At least with a CD, they are relatively compact and still offer fantastic audio quality.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Flashbacks to teenage sea breeze years with finger on play and one on record to "download" the song straight off the radio. Just to have the DJ talk right into the words FTL....haha

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
VHS collections were truly a waste of money and an epic fail. They just take up too much room, and the visual and audio quality on them is garbage.

At least with a CD, they are relatively compact and still offer fantastic audio quality.
But like anything when VHS and Betamax 1st come out, people were blown away, you could actually buy films and watch them at home, record TV programmes, without VHS there would be no 4K, 8K 52KK in years to come
As for Vinyl, got a Mustang record player as a pressie, so now have to buy some records :D
I have around 100 CD's most of my soundtracks are on CD, my limited edition collectors sets all on CD. MP3 is great, but there is no physical hardware. Its like downloading rather then buying. I have a big Blu-ray collection as want the physical hardware and the collector DVDs.
I am off on a road trip soon back to the US, and have around a couple of thousands songs on a USB stick ready to go. Of course MP3 does make life a lot easier and save on weight
I remember once when we went to the US a friend of mine brought around 30CDs with him, :eyebulge:
Tech is moving so fast, each day something new something faster something more memory, more power, now wait for VR to take off as it will

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I Use an iPod and have all my music on it . Just plug it in, I have playlists, or just random. I don’t have an iPhone so that’s why I keep the iPod. I think it’s great but as I understand it, CDs still give sound and clarity that any mp3 file as there’s no compression. I’m not sure I’d get rid of CDs just yet. Heck vinyl is making a comeback lol.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I don't know why they would change it out if it meant changing a lot of other parts/pieces as well Ford seems to not like doing those things. That said I have used my CD player once in over three years and it might not be used ever again :lol:

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not even going to use my XM Radio in this new Mustang. I just stream Pandora and throw it on a playlist or an artist and rock out. I told them I had three vehicles and if they wanted to give my XM for 10.00 a month I would do it, but nope. All I got was we can give it to you as a introductory....negative. Especially when it is not my daily driver but a sunny day fun car.

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
When Ford announced its tie in with Sony 10 years ago we were told about the special data file that tailored the system to each individual car to get the best sound.

Now Ford have gone with Harman we are told about the special data file that tailors the system to each individual car to get the best sound.

There can only be one reason for the change, it's a bit cheaper.
Totally agree with you on the cost point. Same reason why you go to Walmart and buy rubbermaid storage containers and when you go back to get more the next year, they only carry Sterile brand. In the end, it's all about who can hit their price targets so they can maximize margin or other metrics (net pay terms, annual cost downs, etc...). Difference here is Ford has to get into multi-year agreements to get suppliers to sign up for this stuff so you won't see change for many years unless there is some void of contract (huge quality issues, etc...), where as people like Wal-mart, they'll just put you stuff on the top shelf where people won't see it or reach it if they don't make enough money on your product and are still under contract, and then buy your competitors product and put it right at eye level.

Can't wait to hear how the new system sounds from those of you getting 19 models later this year.

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
My 17GT had the CD player and I never used it, but I like having options. My 19GT does not have the CD player and I wish it did, but I probably would not use it. I use Spotify now for most everything, but I still have hundreds of CDs that I don't use. Oh, and I'm an "old guy" that still has hundreds of vinyl records that I also don't listen to. :)

EDIT: One thing I like about CDs is that they always work, even when blue tooth doesn't.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'm an "old" guy with a massive CD (and vinyl) collection, and one thing I absolutely hate about my new F150 is the lack of a CD player.

I hate the touchscreen also, it's nonsense to have layered menus in a vehicle. Drivers don't need additional distractions.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I'm an "old" guy with a massive CD (and vinyl) collection, and one thing I absolutely hate about my new F150 is the lack of a CD player.

I hate the touchscreen also, it's nonsense to have layered menus in a vehicle. Drivers don't need additional distractions.
I have a collection of about 600 CDs.

I sold my 900+ vinyl collection about 2 years ago to a used record store. I was made an offer they was hard to refuse. The ironic thing about the deal was, I purchase many of those albums from the same record store 20 - 30 years back for about the same price as I sold them back for.

I am still not sure I did the right thing, but I hadn’t played any of them in years and they were just collecting dust. But still, I wonder.:question:

Last edited: