Sponsored

LED Map light install - broken dome light housing tab (ugh)

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I had it happen to me too today. Used some gorilla glue and let it cure. The key is to make sure the little ears are extended out to the sides properly. It seated with a nice click and so far so good.

I got the whole DD kit to swap out all the OEM interior lights for LED’s. Come to find out that the trunk light is already an LED strip light. Are the 18’s like this? Mines a 19.
My 18 has LED trunk interior lighting.

I also posted a followup comment on that video for Diode Dynamics. That car in the 18 video has to have been taken apart 100 times to pop down that easy. I was sure I was going to snap mine off so I quit while I was ahead. I'd like to get them in - a buddy bought them for me and I bet they look clean installed.

On a side note - do these dim with the door open/close like stock or are they just on/off?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
My 18 has LED trunk interior lighting.

I also posted a followup comment on that video for Diode Dynamics. That car in the 18 video has to have been taken apart 100 times to pop down that easy. I was sure I was going to snap mine off so I quit while I was ahead. I'd like to get them in - a buddy bought them for me and I bet they look clean installed.

On a side note - do these dim with the door open/close like stock or are they just on/off?
Yeah the ease in which they popped theirs off in the vids (and the American Muscle one too) made me jealous.

I was going to quit on mine but I’d yanked on it so hard at first I had a damn gap and it wouldn’t go back flush. So I kept going. I superglued it and I’m gonna order the whole new part.

They do not dim like stock. On/off.

icodyonline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Just got my 19 GT today and went to replace the dome lights to LEDs and guess what, the plastic piece broke and the dome housing won’t stay up anymore. Does anybody know the part number or where to get a replacement housing?

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Sorry for all the issues that everyone had and their broken covers. Sucks.

I was able to do the swap with just removing the lenses. Pushed a little hook to hold the light bulb housing from the back and to keep it from popping out while I inserted the LEDs. I pre-bent the metal wires down on the bulb and it was not too bad pushing them in.

And if you are buying the Diode Dynamics kit, the one for 18 is the same thing as for 17 (American Muscle only had the 17, but marked as good for 18, Diode Dynamics has both on their site), but without one bulb as 18s already have an LED in the trunk. Saves you a few bucks. I bought the 17 kit not knowing, but of the four bulbs (2 map, 1 trunk, 1 glove compartment), after installing in the map light, found that one bulb was a little more on the yellow side. Decided to swap with another and got things to match. Recommend checking before closing things up.

Sponsored

IncisionInd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Hey All,

Like others have said I seriously believe that there is something different with the overhead console in these '18 models. The '17 models came out without issue and it took all of my strength (and some broken tabs in the process) to pull down the console in the '18.

After all the ways I tried to get the metal clip to grip into the plastic again there was still a small gap and a new rattle. My solution was actually to buy a slightly used overhead console from eBay, remove all of the lights and electronics, and swap in all of the things from my car. All I really needed was the plastic housing with tabs as opposed to all the extra stuff ford includes. I actually purchased a few of these that would work and will be posting them in the for sale section soon.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
... Driver side the bulb housing pushed into the console housing. Spent 30 mins pulling the overhead console off.. Scared to death it would break . After much pulling it came loose.. Clips slightly damaged. Anyway pushed the connector back thru the gap and fitted the led...
This happened to me when changing out my LEDs. More trouble than I recall when the kit was installed in my 2016 car. After the bulb holder backed out of its mount, I tried to pull the housing down, but was afraid to have to break something just to learn the trick. So the first thing I did was search the forum and found this thread.

I put a headlight on my head and angled the light to the gap above the housing. I even had to raise the seat to get my head up to the roof and peek in there. I saw the two clips and instantly recognized the Jaws of Death metal clips. I remember how these don't release properly from when I was working on my dash.

I inserted a regular #2 screwdriver and pried the metal tabs away from the plastic slot, working both tabs of each clip evenly, and on both clips, until the housing came loose with no issues.

Then I pushed the driver's side bulb holder back in place, followed by the DD LED, and then pushed the assembly back in place.

And all this from using the pry-the-lens-out method from the outset!

Here is a photo of my technique for the clips.

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I've got a second chance at this as I now have a 2019 Mustang (RIP to the 18). Anyhow, I figured I'd go with the method above, and it worked great!

It will pop out, and everything will be intact, there may be some slight marring off the plastic prongs from your initial pulling, but no actual damage. Rejoice! Now you can swap your map lights and then push both metal clips back down onto the plastic prongs as far as they can go. Pop it back in and you're golden.
m1.jpg
m2.JPG
m3.JPG

Gtracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2014 Mercedes SL 65 AMG, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali
I've got a second chance at this as I now have a 2019 Mustang (RIP to the 18). Anyhow, I figured I'd go with the method above, and it worked great!

It will pop out, and everything will be intact, there may be some slight marring off the plastic prongs from your initial pulling, but no actual damage. Rejoice! Now you can swap your map lights and then push both metal clips back down onto the plastic prongs as far as they can go. Pop it back in and you're golden.
m1.jpg
m2.JPG
m3.JPG
what about actually changing the bulb? I broke my dome also, and got frustrated so I decided to just give up and I’m going to try to get it back up into place tomorrow. Thanks for the post. I’m going to try to pull the clips and open them back up a little so it sits back snug.

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
what about actually changing the bulb? I broke my dome also, and got frustrated so I decided to just give up and I’m going to try to get it back up into place tomorrow. Thanks for the post. I’m going to try to pull the clips and open them back up a little so it sits back snug.
Swapping the bulbs out with the map light housing down is super easy. they are held in by 2 plastic mounts that are clipped into place on the top of the housing, you just squeeze the clips and pull them off, then simply yank the bulb and put in the new one.

Sponsored

mrblackbond

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ingot Silver Mustang GT Premium w/ Performance Pack 1
Me too. Wish I never did it
I spent over $400 in parts and labor (I ended up purchasing TWO replacement domelight housings) to eventually get the dealership to fucking just install one I ended up finally ordering from Levitttown Ford up in NY. There's a member on here who gave a little discount on it. I brought it to my dealership and asked them to install it for me. They only charged me for labor. It was the dumbest $400+ i ever spent and could have been easily avoided had I just got them to install the bulbs for me from day one. I look back on it now like fuck my life, I could have had a new intake by now.