Sponsored

EB2.3 vs Duratec 2.0/2.3/2.5 Bellshousing bolt pattern

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
Hello

Does anyone know for sure if the EB and Duratec bolt patterns are the same?
Ive heard yes, and I've heard no.

I'm looking for a RWD trans to fit the Duratec.

Thank you.

David
Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
There’s a difference in deck height on the 2.0 Duratec blocks, IIRC. I want to say yes that they should work but it’s been a while since I’ve looked at it.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Hello

Does anyone know for sure if the EB and Duratec bolt patterns are the same?
Ive heard yes, and I've heard no.

I'm looking for a RWD trans to fit the Duratec.

Thank you.

David

There are several SFI bells and adapters to fit virtually any transmission behind a duratec in a RWD configuration. Iirc the duratec and the 2.3 Lima have the same bolt pattern, but the Ecoboost is different.....been a long time since I looked into this.

OP
OP

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
50% of the people I have asked this say its the same bolt pattern...

The other 50 say its not

From pictures Im inclined to say they are not the same

Sponsored

Hopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3
OP
OP

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
So the fwd EB2.0 and the fwd Duratec have the same pattern.

What about rwd?

What I have seen so far is the Ranger trans and the Duratec match up, but the MT82 looks different?

Can anyone confirm?

The bolt pattern is the same.

People bolt up the ecoboost 2.0L from the Focus ST into duratec equipped mk1 Focus using their original mtx-75 transmission. As we know the bolt pattern between the 2.0L and 2.3L ecoboost is the same, thus all duratec based engines use the same bolt pattern.

See post #5 and #8 for confirmation:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums.focaljet.com/showthread.php/687161-MK1-Ecoboost?amp=1

Hopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3
When people put a 2.0L ecoboost block in a mustang the block is from a fwd application (there are no OEM rwd 2.0L ecoboosts). So all duratec/ecoboost have the same bolt pattern.

OP
OP

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
Ok.

Somewhere though, there is a difference.

I have a picture of the Ranger transmission and the Mustang MT82. They have a different bolt pattern for sure.
So not all duratecs and ecoboosts are the same. Somewhere, and I don't know where - there is a difference.

When people put a 2.0L ecoboost block in a mustang the block is from a fwd application (there are no OEM rwd 2.0L ecoboosts). So all duratec/ecoboost have the same bolt pattern.

Hopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3
Is the mustang MT-82 for the ecoboost or coyote, those definitely have different bell housings. Once the 2019 Ranger OEM parts catalog is online will be easy to compare block P/Ns for commonality.

Sponsored
OP
OP

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
The MT82 was for the EB Mustang (supposedly) which is why I'm so confused.

If all the EB's and Duratecs are the same, that would mean you can use the MT82 on the EB2.0

Is the mustang MT-82 for the ecoboost or coyote, those definitely have different bell housings. Once the 2019 Ranger OEM parts catalog is online will be easy to compare block P/Ns for commonality.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Bolt pattern is the same. To add to this thread I have already seen a GDI 2.0 Focus head used on a 2.5 Duratec block in a MkIII Focus. According to my source, he mentioned that he doesn't see any reason a 2.3 GDI head would not work on a 2.5 Duratec block. These blocks are way stronger than our thin Ecoboost blocks and would virtually cure the fear of the Ecoboom. Not to mention our cars could use the extra displacement. The 2.5 Duratec even in n/a form with a tune is nasty in a lightweight Mk1 Focus. The torque curve is much more dense versus the 2.3.

OP
OP

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
why would you not use the 2.5 head at that point? It flows better.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
why would you not use the 2.5 head at that point? It flows better.
Correct that it does; however the 2.5 head is setup for port injection whilst our 2.3 EB heads are setup for GDI (thus why you need the GDI head to swapped on the 2.5 block). Pre GDI car I would just swap in the whole 2.5 as-is, totally underrated engine.