2018, 2019, 2020 Mustang GT experience

moosestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Vert
Just took my '18 GT for it's second oil change using Motorcraft syn/blend at little over 18K miles. Went by the oil life indicator, not babying it by changing it frequently in the first few thousand miles like some do. No ticks or rattles.
Sponsored

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I've had my 18 since Feb and I get the 2k rattle sometimes but no tick so far. No issues with it and it's my daily.

redwolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Redwolf
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
I've had my 2018 GT for about 14 months. It's my DD, but I live close to work, so I have just under 7,000 miles on the odometer. I have had no problems and no unusual noises. The car is a blast to drive.

rf_ross

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Chevy Colorado
I traded in my 2018 GT a few months ago at about 7,500 miles. I decided that it was way more car than I wanted and I got frustrated that there were not many places where I could go full throttle. It was also too nice a car to make into a dedicated race car with a roll cage and other safety gear so I sold it.

I never heard any unusual noises nor did I have any issues with the car at all.

It had the ten-speed automatic which I just loved due to its super-fast shifts and plenty of gears. It was brutally fast even with a stock engine. When I drove it sanely on the highway at 70 - 72 mph I consistently got 28 - 29 mpg.

My GT was not my daily driver - I have a Chevy Colorado pickup for that - so it was just a toy and I stored it over the winter. I added a bunch of Steeda suspension parts to lower the car by 1.25" F/1.0" rear and it had a great stance but turned out to be too stiff for Michigan roads which aren't in the best shape. If I had to do it over again I probably would have gone with a softer spring or just left it stock.

I also installed an H-pipe resonator delete running through the stock mufflers and the sound was fabulous.

My car had the 301A package which was essentially a Premium without the digital dash and leather. The seats were super comfortable on long trips and the big trunk was a bonus.

I've owned many cars over the years and I can say that my Mustang GT was the best car that I ever owned.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'm thinking about buying 2020 Mustang GT (10-spd auto) in Europe & would like to ask - owners of 2018, 2019 & 2020 models - about your experience w/this car.
My wait time was 19 weeks from order to delivery, but worth every minute. Only mods are a few Steeda components + a Borla exhaust. The exhaust is the only questionable item when considering the cost per hp factor. Zero noise issues. Oh, yeah, also dumped the Michelin Cup 2 tires ASAP & installed Continental Extreme Contact Sports while upgrading the rears to 325/30x19. I do agree w/another owner's comment about "thin paint", but I have always just considered that part of actually driving the car. I picked it up on 11/23/2018 & have just over 22,000 miles on it. It is a kick-in-the-butt car to just drive ... anywhere or anytime (except snow/ice). Only "complaints" are 1) a constantly vibrating rear view mirror (that, & no night glare option) & 2) inability to disconnect the DRL lights & 3) I wish the alarm would beep when you walk away from the car. The car will lock, but I would like an audible. Because of that, I find myself using the remote to get the beep & piece of mind knowing that the car is secured. If you make the decision to buy, check off the Brembo brake & Magneride shock options. You will have plenty of power w/the 5.0, but you can never have too much braking or handling capability. Other than that, drive it like you stole it!!! :like:

Sponsored

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
2019 GT/CS.. 6 speed manual and no issues. A bit noisy but runs fantastic .

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I sold my 2009 Porsche because I got caught up in the scare over bore scoring and PDK failures. Along with the noise and smells that a Porsche makes, I was just getting paranoid and afraid to drive it. Selling it was probably the biggest mistake I've made in a long time. The person who bought it has put more miles on it two months than I did in 2 years.... with zero issues. I am saving my money to buy another. Social media can make you do really dumb things!

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Hi everybody. I'm thinking about buying new 2020 Mustang GT 5,0 (10 speed auto) in Europe and would like to ask you - owners of 2018, 2019, 2020 models - about your experience with this car ??? ...
I bought my '19 Bullitt last December. On the occasions where I'm outside the car with the engine running, I notice it makes a few ticks, clicks, whatever. When I'm driving the car I don't hear anything but the exhaust and the whirring of the gears, and there is no CEL or any other indication of trouble (I think most of the 'noise' is the high-pressure DI fuel pump, and maybe the PI injectors--it does sound a little like a diesel). I do have an issue with the electronics: after the car has sat outside on a hot (and dusty) day the nannies--side traffic, backup, etc.--don't work until I've driven 5 or 10 miles. Naturally, the dealer can't reproduce the problem but with winter coming I'll just forget about it until next year.

Note this is 2019 and everyone--qualified or not--has a 'platform' on the internet, and some seem to have nothing better to do than advertise themselves, so even trivial issues get amplified greatly. In your case, if you get the same warranty we get in the 'States, and you're comfortable with your dealer's integrity and expertise you should be good to go.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I think the OP may have already decided the GT will be a ticking, piston slapping POS. I drank the kool aid early on. This is my first ever Mustang & I have always harboured a secret love for them. I was over here reading stuff while I had my 2013 Camaro SS as I was in the hunt for something different and loved the look of the S550. Of course I read all of the "problems" and decided no way I'm signing up for that.

But then one Saturday I got up and told the GF I'm going to go look at a Mustang GT today which shocked her since I had never mentioned them to her. Took the car I own now out for a test drive & just loved it! No regrets it can tick once in a while or rattle like it does around 2500 RPM and I don't give a rats behind. I love this car and its staying :)

DerekDeeter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, MT82 300A, 2001 BMW 330Ci, 1993 F150, 1972 V8 Pinto
2018 GT Base with MT-82, over 15K, runs great, daily driver, no issues. Car is a ball to drive, loving it.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hi everybody. I'm thinking about buying new 2020 Mustang GT 5,0 (10 speed auto) in Europe and would like to ask you - owners of 2018, 2019, 2020 models - about your experience with this car ??? I already wanted to place an order. ...but as I've started to read forums and watch youtube videos (including discussions below them), I am "shocked" that there are so many problems with engines...... it seems, that it is always just a question of time, when the engine tick appears...sooner or later.... I wanted to wait until first videos of 2020 models appear on youtube or discussions in forums, if this problem has been resolved. But it still seems to be there. First engine tick on 2020 model has already been reported.
I spoke to local Ford dealer here about it and of course, you can imagine what they said... allegedly they had no experience with this kind of problems in the past and were very surprised.... Mustang is beautiful car, but I can't afford to waste my earned money for the car that is not reliable. I would very appreciate all your comments (2018,2019 and 2020 owners) about your own experiences with this car ??? All - positive or negative. It would help me a lot. Because usually people go to the forums when they have the problems and in this case it seems like that EVERYONE has a problem with this car, so many issues have been posted. Thank you very much for your help.
If you like the car buy the car... You have a warranty why do you care about tick? That's Ford's problem not yours... If ur really scared get the extended warranty.

The S550 is a fantastic car and the last mustang ford will make...

I refuse to acknowledge the autrocities ford will put the pony badge on after 2020 as Mustangs...

shravanj

Threads
Reaction score
Website
shravanj.com
First Name
Shravan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Currently at a little over 14,000 daily driven miles on my GT. I had the ROUSH supercharger installed at around 2000 miles. I get full synthetic Motorcraft 5w-50 oil changes done every 5000 miles/6 months and have the "tick" although I am positive it's just an operating characteristic of the engine at this point. Driver's side catalytic converter went out at ~8300 miles and replaced under warranty but other than that it has been a spectacular car.

OP
OP

pkasmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pavol
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes CLS
Thank you all for your comments, very much appreciated.... :like:. You helped me a lot and I made a decision....NEW 2020 Mustang GT 5,0 (Absolut Black) - ORDERED TODAY :rockon::dance:

Luke5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Hi everybody. I'm thinking about buying new 2020 Mustang GT 5,0 (10 speed auto) in Europe and would like to ask you - owners of 2018, 2019, 2020 models - about your experience with this car ??? I already wanted to place an order. ...but as I've started to read forums and watch youtube videos (including discussions below them), I am "shocked" that there are so many problems with engines...... it seems, that it is always just a question of time, when the engine tick appears...sooner or later.... I wanted to wait until first videos of 2020 models appear on youtube or discussions in forums, if this problem has been resolved. But it still seems to be there. First engine tick on 2020 model has already been reported.
I spoke to local Ford dealer here about it and of course, you can imagine what they said... allegedly they had no experience with this kind of problems in the past and were very surprised.... Mustang is beautiful car, but I can't afford to waste my earned money for the car that is not reliable. I would very appreciate all your comments (2018,2019 and 2020 owners) about your own experiences with this car ??? All - positive or negative. It would help me a lot. Because usually people go to the forums when they have the problems and in this case it seems like that EVERYONE has a problem with this car, so many issues have been posted. Thank you very much for your help.
Don’t let the forums discourage you from buying the car. I was doing the same thing but i went with a GT with the 6 spd after reading all of the forums about ticks, shift forks, etc and am at almost 16k miles no problem. You will have warranty after all.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

Don't buy a Mustang, because you are not a Mustang guy.... if you want a garage queen, buy a BMW plz, because it seems you are not a gearhead and don't care much about getting your hands dirty.

Stick with a Yuppy car, it better for you, because all you are going to do is make other Mustang driver's look bad & ignorant...!
Sponsored