Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Fine print for the Tax Credit:

That $7,500.00 is the MAX allowable credit - there’s no guarantee that everyone will get or qualify for the MAX allowable credit.

LMAO....
Also Im not a tax wiz and might be wrong here but does not that credit come out in itemized taxes? And since they raised those to what something like 24k for standard married deductions. its pretty much wiped itemizing taxes out for the regular joe. Cause normal people don't have 24k worth of deductions anyway. So where do you get that 7,500 deduction taken out of? So who cares if they give a 7500 tax break for the suv if you are way under the 24k anyway you will never see it. It is all hokus pokus the web site for the Mach-E is so full of words liek maybe . potentially, and if... and also asterixis. that not many if anyone will get any of their so called breaks or see any of their numbers. Its all vapor numbers.

If I remember right tesla was told to stop putting tax breaks into their prices because they were misleading because most people didn't qualify for those breaks. Will be same here, people will go oh I get 7500 tax break.... and come tax time they get nothing cause 90% of everyday joes don't qualify for them.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I would have to disagree with that. It actually was intended to and did work the opposite way.

The companies that got in first (Tesla, GM, Nissan), when costs were higher, got to subsidize some of their costs by making their vehicles more cost efficient through learning curve improvement. The companies that are coming in late are starting out at the high end of the learning curve while the early starters are introducing 2nd and 3rd generation product at lower cost. So while the pricing might be similar, the Tesla / GM / Nissan and I’ll even include Volkswagen group into this group, are closer to breaking even on the sales of their products.

The whole point of the incentive was to reduce the concern of automakers of investing in an expensive technology and not being able to price it in a manner that allowed them to recover cost, let alone make a profit. Notice that when the incentive got cut in half for Tesla, they reduced their prices on some models. Because they could.
I understand that. But say I was cross shopping a Model Y and a Mach E and for arguments sake, they were identical in terms of specs. I would likely go with the Mach E due to it being eligible for the full tax credit which would make it cheaper than the Model Y that has no tax credit. That is where I feel that the credit is outdated now. It gives companies that are late to the EV party an unfair advantage to those that have been in the market for some time and have spent the money and developed both the market and tech. Now Ford can "basically" purchase EV drivetrains and batteries where Tesla had to develop them from the ground up.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Also Im not a tax wiz and might be wrong here but does not that credit come out in itemized taxes? And since they raised those to what something like 24k for standard married deductions. its pretty much wiped itemizing taxes out for the regular joe. Cause normal people don't have 24k worth of deductions anyway. So where do you get that 7,500 deduction taken out of? So who cares if they give a 7500 tax break for the suv if you are way under the 24k anyway you will never see it. It is all hokus pokus the web site for the Mach-E is so full of words liek maybe . potentially, and if... and also asterixis. that not many if anyone will get any of their so called breaks or see any of their numbers. Its all vapor numbers.

If I remember right tesla was told to stop putting tax breaks into their prices because they were misleading because most people didn't qualify for those breaks. Will be same here, people will go oh I get 7500 tax break.... and come tax time they get nothing cause 90% of everyday joes don't qualify for them.
Tesla was including (and still is with a toggle on their website) gas savings per year into their MSRP that people were not happy with. As far as I know, the Tax credit should apply to everyone that buys one (unless your tax liability is not high enough to receive the full credit) but I will find out early next year when I do my taxes and apply for the credit....

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Tesla was including (and still is with a toggle on their website) gas savings per year into their MSRP that people were not happy with. As far as I know, the Tax credit should apply to everyone that buys one (unless your tax liability is not high enough to receive the full credit) but I will find out early next year when I do my taxes and apply for the credit....
IM not saying I am right but I figure its no different than the way any other deduction works. lets say you are married and take the standrad 24k deduction becuase you either had no itemized deductions or they were way lower then the standard 24k. Ok so lets say your deductions without the electric car one is 12k and then you add the 7.5 k electric car deduction then you are at 19.5 in deductions still under the standard 24k so you would see nothing from that electric car credit. ???

I know lots of people who typically got money back on taxes cause of itemized deductions until they made the starndard so high the other year not doing deductions really dont do anything for the regular joe. and I don't see this electric car one doing much for anyone that has paycheck to paycheck jobs. 9 to 5ers that dont have deductions. But like I said I could be totally wrong. but considering fords site explaining the 700 ways you could not get it or be not eligible im figuring im right. LOL

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So this is a Tax CREDIT and not a deduction. The credit directly lowers your taxes owed while a deduction lowers your taxable income. So you will still see the benefits of a tax credit even if you do not hit the standard deduction.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I understand that. But say I was cross shopping a Model Y and a Mach E and for arguments sake, they were identical in terms of specs. I would likely go with the Mach E due to it being eligible for the full tax credit which would make it cheaper than the Model Y that has no tax credit. That is where I feel that the credit is outdated now. It gives companies that are late to the EV party an unfair advantage to those that have been in the market for some time and have spent the money and developed both the market and tech. Now Ford can "basically" purchase EV drivetrains and batteries where Tesla had to develop them from the ground up.
That is correct if the two vehicles were the same price. In theory and the way that the program was supposed to work, a comparably equipped Model Y should cost less than a Mach E And therefore also have a lower price. A potential buyer should be deciding between a $40,000 Model Y and a $47,500 Mach E, with the idea that he could get $7,500 back on the Mach E. This puts the products at price parity, but then Tesla, the early mover, should have an advantage because their product should have established some brand equity.

Because of that brand equity, Tesla might say, “I’m pricing head to head with Ford and I’ll make more money per vehicle than Ford does.”

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
So this is a Tax CREDIT and not a deduction. The credit directly lowers your taxes owed while a deduction lowers your taxable income. So you will still see the benefits of a tax credit even if you do not hit the standard deduction.
That depends. If you are buying the vehicle it is a tax credit. If you are leasing the vehicle, the leasing company can front-load it for you.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
That depends. If you are buying the vehicle it is a tax credit. If you are leasing the vehicle, the leasing company can front-load it for you.
Right, that is because the company you are leasing the vehicle from is receiving the federal credit and should then be passing on the savings directly to you without you submitting a form during tax season.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Like everyone else, putting the Mustang name and Pony on this thing was kinda dumb. I do however like how it looks except the rear as it looks too much like a Mustang out back. I think using inspired is a little too much from the rear. Outside of not wanting this because of the branding, the interior looks hideous. Maybe due solely to the frackin movie screen pasted in there. I wonder if when they were finishing the design, they did not get the final copy mixed up with an early mock up as it just seems so incomplete and out of place. There is no way that screen will make the driver pay attention to the road more. To me not only is it an eyesore, but probably a safety concern. I would not buy it for myself, but my wife may have liked it, but the interior is a joke and the branding a hard pass. Hopefully the interior designers of these new BEV's get their heads out of the sand and design an interior and tech that looks good, otherwise it will take even longer for BEV's to make any real impact in the market.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
You want some laughs, look it up on Twitter. People against this station wagon being called a Mustang are probably 5 or 6 to one, and I bet 3 out of every 5 people that post think it is hideous. And surprisingly, there are a lot of women who dont like it.
My prediction is they sell a bunch the first year, maybe even the second year. Then this "thing" will disappear in a flash.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
IM not saying I am right but I figure its no different than the way any other deduction works. lets say you are married and take the standrad 24k deduction becuase you either had no itemized deductions or they were way lower then the standard 24k. Ok so lets say your deductions without the electric car one is 12k and then you add the 7.5 k electric car deduction then you are at 19.5 in deductions still under the standard 24k so you would see nothing from that electric car credit. ???

I know lots of people who typically got money back on taxes cause of itemized deductions until they made the starndard so high the other year not doing deductions really dont do anything for the regular joe. and I don't see this electric car one doing much for anyone that has paycheck to paycheck jobs. 9 to 5ers that dont have deductions. But like I said I could be totally wrong. but considering fords site explaining the 700 ways you could not get it or be not eligible im figuring im right. LOL
Here you go...........https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/electric-vehicles-tax-credits-and-other-incentives

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
But real talk... How long before someone Coyote Swaps the Mach-e

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Shadow Edition Triple Yellow
They're all at it

The final Granturismo rolled off the Maserati production line last week , now they have the Quattroporte 4 door saloon , the Ghibli 4 door saloon and the levante SUV

The Ghibli is a Chrysler 300 in a pretty dress , I dare say the other 2 platform share with something in the Chrysler/ Fiat empire

Ford have used the pony as a marketing tool, they might have put a badge on the dash of the S550 saying Since 1964 but profits come before heritage obviously

A 4 door car is not a mustang

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
Bleh, unconfirmed for Australia, would like to grab the GT for the wife but without knowing if its coming to Australia is a bit of a let down.