Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
they are probably saying it now just to be safe because they got sick of people bricking their shit by doing something dumb like trying to run the update with the car off but radio still running like when you stop the engine but don't open the door yet.
I get that. It doesn't change the fact that the morons who wrote the flash upgrade process were so stupid as to not protect their task by disabling all automatic power-shutdown features. I can't speak for Dodge but GM clearly has better programmers on their payroll.
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I get that. It doesn't change the fact that the morons who wrote the flash upgrade process were so stupid as to not protect their task by disabling all automatic power-shutdown features. I can't speak for Dodge but GM clearly has better programmers on their payroll.
no matter what they do, they can't really prevent a battery going under-voltage in the middle of an update.

Under-voltage batteries in these cars do very screwy things.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Its possible Dodge and GM would rather just deal with fixing the rare issue without hearing complaints about having the engine running. But Ford would rather point and say "I warned ya!" LoL

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Under-voltage batteries in these cars do very screwy things.
I'll stipulate to that. However an automotive battery will hold 12.6V till the end of time and flashing is a trivial current draw. Something is VERY wrong with the power system if it can't maintain stable power off the battery alone for 10 minutes. Otherwise your battery is a goner and won't crank the engine to begin with.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I'll stipulate to that. However an automotive battery will hold 12.6V till the end of time and flashing is a trivial current draw. Something is VERY wrong with the power system if it can't maintain stable power off the battery alone for 10 minutes. Otherwise your battery is a goner and won't crank the engine to begin with.
That isn't quite true. A fully charged battery will be 12.6v but how many of those are there around ! Lots are only 75% charged and sitting for 30 to 40 minutes doing a maps update will run the risk of it dropping lower than that as lots of other things will be drawing power as well as the ICE. The starting point is crucial (battery charge level) and Ford have no control over that so to avoid risk advise the engine should be running for an update. I do it on a longish journey when it has no impact. If you don't have a long enough journey to do it in then you would be the highest risk of having an undercharged battery either before or during the update !

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Exactly.

louierg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louie
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary Limited Edition #1897
Bluetooth will be the 2018's cool new upgrade. ;) I thought the same thing you did.
See you have the 2015 here. you obviously upgraded to the sync 3 using a donor. I have also have a 15. Bought the parts from a yard and acquired the vin for the donor. Updated the 2.3 software to the 3.0. All was well. Since the update the donor lists no current updates and my 15 lists an update JR3T-14G381-AS. Did you have the same experience I have and if so have you updated since with the .......AS update?

Thanks

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
See you have the 2015 here. you obviously upgraded to the sync 3 using a donor. I have also have a 15. Bought the parts from a yard and acquired the vin for the donor. Updated the 2.3 software to the 3.0. All was well. Since the update the donor lists no current updates and my 15 lists an update JR3T-14G381-AS. Did you have the same experience I have and if so have you updated since with the .......AS update?

Thanks
Same here. When I did my upgrade a couple of years ago 3.0 was just coming out so I uploaded the unofficial version. Mine says it is 3.0 Build 18025_PRODUCT. I understand there is a newer one out but on owner.ford.com it says there is no update (when using the donor car VIN). What do I need to do to get this to update? I noticed the car was trying to download the update when at home and on my wifi but it never proceeds to finish it, so it seems to recognize there is an update for it but I just want to manually install it via USB...

louierg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louie
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary Limited Edition #1897
Same here. When I did my upgrade a couple of years ago 3.0 was just coming out so I uploaded the unofficial version. Mine says it is 3.0 Build 18025_PRODUCT. I understand there is a newer one out but on owner.ford.com it says there is no update (when using the donor car VIN). What do I need to do to get this to update? I noticed the car was trying to download the update when at home and on my wifi but it never proceeds to finish it, so it seems to recognize there is an update for it but I just want to manually install it via USB...
I used the vin for the donor to download 18093. and was able to finally get the update to work. After that the program required me to via my account to certify my unit version was updated. What puzzles me is the donor does not show an update., but that my vin shows the new update. Have you checked out an update for your vin? Your APIM was programmed to your specific car? Mine was programmed vehicle specific. Ford now thinks my 2015 My Touch is instead 2017 Sync 3. I if I were to contact Ford about the issue, would only specify the donor vin as with problem. I believe Ford would say rather quickly they do not support our changes.

Good luck

t2j

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
First off, I apologize if a solution has already been answered for my problem i'm having, but I can't seem to get this right. Car is currently showing software verison 3.0 Build 19205 and I have installed the new usb hub allowing Carplay, but I am still having no luck. I am having reason to believe that my Sync isn't operating on 3.0 because I don't even see the option in the settings tab for CarPlay preferences. Also, the Navigation Icon is still showing a 4-point compass, versus the arrow icon like it should be showing in the updated 3.0 software. Any thoughts? I'd rather not pay the outrageous $150 diagnostics fee that the stealership is wanting to charge me just to look at it...

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
First off, I apologize if a solution has already been answered for my problem i'm having, but I can't seem to get this right. Car is currently showing software verison 3.0 Build 19205 and I have installed the new usb hub allowing Carplay, but I am still having no luck. I am having reason to believe that my Sync isn't operating on 3.0 because I don't even see the option in the settings tab for CarPlay preferences. Also, the Navigation Icon is still showing a 4-point compass, versus the arrow icon like it should be showing in the updated 3.0 software. Any thoughts? I'd rather not pay the outrageous $150 diagnostics fee that the stealership is wanting to charge me just to look at it...
Where did you get the module?

t2j

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Where did you get the module?
Amazon. I don't think its the module though. I'm not even seeing any of the changes that should be seen with the Version 3 software

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
AFAIK, there was an update that hosed the navigation, making it as if it didn't have it when it does.
I seem to remember it was a hardware issue with the APIM, if it's underwarrenty they will replace it, or you pay to get it replaced (I would press them to do it for free anyways if it was a bug in the software)

This is all as long as the APIM was native to your vehicle and not a swap out. You are hosed if it was a swap out, buy another one...

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Two things:
1- The USB module might not be genuine ford part.
2- Try to reinstall your update file, just make sure that you download it from the owner.ford.com(You have to have the sync3 apim's original car's vin number) website and not from someone else's cloud drive (just to make sure you get all the required files and packages)

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Two things:
1- The USB module might not be genuine ford part.
2- Try to reinstall your update file, just make sure that you download it from the owner.ford.com(You have to have the sync3 apim's original car's vin number) website and not from someone else's cloud drive (just to make sure you get all the required files and packages)
1- Upgrade USB hub, in console, for Apple Carplay - HU5Z-19A387-A
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/
Sponsored