Winter Storage

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
The GT 350 R I HAVE has 1750 miles on it and I purchased it in august, late august to be exact. My plan was to do the first oil change at 3000 miles, but it is obvious I am not going to get there this year. So my question is should I have the oil changed now before I put it in storage for 5 months ? Or just wait until next spring ?
*Strictly My Opinion* There are more than a few folks on here who changed the factory fill at 1000 miles and sent their oil to Blackstone. Then they sent subsequent samples for later oil changes. There have been consistent reports that the first oil change has three times more contaminants in it than later changes. Me, personally, I would not garage that car with 1750 miles on the oil, store it for five months, and then take it out and put another 1250 miles on it before service. When Spring has sprung, I would drive straight to the dealership and start your new driving season with fresh oil.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
*Strictly My Opinion* There are more than a few folks on here who changed the factory fill at 1000 miles and sent their oil to Blackstone. Then they sent subsequent samples for later oil changes. There have been consistent reports that the first oil change has three times more contaminants in it than later changes. Me, personally, I would not garage that car with 1750 miles on the oil, store it for five months, and then take it out and put another 1250 miles on it before service. When Spring has sprung, I would drive straight to the dealership and start your new driving season with fresh oil.
Thank you. Would you change it now before storing ?

OP
OP

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
Actually, I had a lot of water in the tank one winter from leaving it empty on my GT500 after being stored for 4 months... all the variations in temperature caused condensation in the tank, was running extremely rough when I started it. I had to add some alcohol to mix in and burn that water.
Every since I fill up to the neck, and I just take it easy until I burn the first tank in the spring.

I also don't recommend allowing the battery to go completely flat, the cells get destroyed quicker. Just keep it charged with a CTEK, no that big of an expense.
Thank you. Was that stored inside or out. And what kind of storage Temps are we talking.

Deleted member 37397

I’ve been reading whether or not to change the oil, my consensus is it’s a waste of money to change it before winter storage. My oil life monitor still is around 50% so I’ll just wait til spring, make an appointment and get it changed then. I am putting my stock wheels back on and inflating to 40 psi and filling up the tank though.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
My dealer is an avid collector of Fords with models spanning the ages. He advises to always fill the tank to avoid condensation in the gas when storing for the winter.

I’ve used non-ethanol super no lead (in the GT350 and my lawn/garden equipment) with absolutely no issues.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. Was that stored inside or out. And what kind of storage Temps are we talking.
This is a non heated, detached garage, made of brick and mortar with a pretty thick door... but temps vary a lot in winter, and sometimes I see the car is wet from condensation. All that will also happen inside the tank if not full.
A heated garage with stable temps, hell yeah, no worries, leave her empty.[/QUOTE]

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I change the oil, fill the tank with non ethanol fuel, and put on wheel dollies. I also put it on a battery tender. I've never had an issue. I heat the garage to 55 and haven't seen any condensation issues. The dollies are nice as I can move the car around if need be and they are rounded to help with the flat spotting. I've never had any issue.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Drive with windows up and heater on. I'm surprised it took a page and a half for the first warm weather smart ass to chime in :crackup:

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Any recommendations on tire cradles? My attached garage drops to the high 30s overnight and i want to make sure i dont have tire issues when i bring her back out to play in the spring.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Any recommendations on tire cradles? My attached garage drops to the high 30s overnight and i want to make sure i dont have tire issues when i bring her back out to play in the spring.
I have had my car in an unheated garage for 2 winters with no issues. Last year I did jack the car and rotate the tires once halfway thru the winter. As mentioned previously, over inflate the tires and if your on concrete, lay down tarps to protect from moisture.

Sponsored

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
I have had my car in an unheated garage for 2 winters with no issues. Last year I did jack the car and rotate the tires once halfway thru the winter. As mentioned previously, over inflate the tires and if your on concrete, lay down tarps to protect from moisture.
Thanks, i was going to use cardboard as a barrier between the concrete and tires.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, i was going to use cardboard as a barrier between the concrete and tires.
It’s best to have plastic under the entirety of the car if it’s being stored on concrete. I’m not doing it for the tires.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
A lot of people use a car bag. You drive over it and zip up the cover around it. It has desiccant built into it and IIRC, it runs about 300 bucks.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I do, better than a tarp IMO. Mine is under the entire car. Cardboard absorbs better I think.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
That's what I do, better than a tarp IMO. Mine is under the entire car. Cardboard absorbs better I think.
I do not want to absorb the moisture, I am using the tarp as a barrier to block the moisture.
Sponsored