Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

Evolution IX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I cannot attest to any other blower besides the Whipple stage 1. I cannot attest to whipples tune as I went custom right from the get go.

I can and will attest to this. Starts just like stock, idles just like stock, drives just like stock. Transmission is slightly different as it’s tuned and the shifts are “firmer”. It has very calm street manors until you press the fun pedal hard enough. It’s so civil that my wife has absolutely ZERO idea that the car has a Whipple. I told her it does but she can’t tell by driving it as she doesn’t really get on it. It’s quiet and just works.

I debated about a centri, but I wanted instant torque and I couldn’t deal with that damn whistle after I heard it in person. Just not my cup of tea.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
It sounds like PBD does a great job with drivability in addition to performance. Good info.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It sounds like PBD does a great job with drivability in addition to performance. Good info.
Bruce I listened to Evo’s car extensively, everything he said is on point. It’s run perfectly and idled like stock, I was speechless when I seen it go 10.30’s and was ready to write the check....Lololol

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Bruce I listened to Evo’s car extensively, everything he said is on point. It’s run perfectly and idled like stock, I was speechless when I seen it go 10.30’s and was ready to write the check....Lololol
I would have been holding my breath and praying when he launched with stock axles and wound it to 7800 rpm on stock OPGs. Lol...

Evolution IX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would have been holding my breath and praying when he launched with stock axles and wound it to 7800 rpm on stock OPGs. Lol...
its an automatic car. If it was a manual and I was launching at 5,000rpms I would agree. Wheel hop would also contribute to stock axle failure.

I’m more concerned about bouncing off a rev limiter with stock OPG’s then I am reving to 7,800rpm.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Axles break mostly from wheel hop, or trans braking the car. He has no wheel hop at all (BMR CB005) and we both know if u stay off the limiter OPG/CS should be fine.

Obviously at the power he’s making I would at least install the left GT350 axle.

On my car I’d have shifts set at 7200 and give up some up for piece of mind

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
There have been axles broken on stock automatic cars on DRs at the 1-2 shift in drag mode on a prepped track...even without hop. Drag mode is pretty brutal. Granted, trans brake or 5000 rpm launches with a stick are potential axle killers for sure.

As for OPGs, some people say don't worry about them and others say they are a powder keg waiting to explode. I am not changing mine. However, I spoke to a Whipple tech when I was considering their stage 2 kit. It comes with a tune that raises the rev limiter and shift points 300 rpm over stock. He told me not to get that kit if unless I plan to upgrade OPG/CS.

By the way, why is hitting the limiter with a supercharger any worse than hitting it with a NA car? I think most techs agree that it is harmonics that break OPGs. The higher the rpm with a big supercharger stressing the crankshaft, the more nasty harmonics we might have. Maybe hitting the rev limiter also causes vibration/harmonics? Not sure....

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There have been axles broken on stock automatic cars on DRs at the 1-2 shift in drag mode on a prepped track...even without hop. Drag mode is pretty brutal. Granted, trans brake or 5000 rpm launches with a stick are potential axle killers for sure.

As for OPGs, some people say don't worry about them and others say they are a powder keg waiting to explode. I am not changing mine. However, I spoke to a Whipple tech when I was considering their stage 2 kit. It comes with a tune that raises the rev limiter and shift points 300 rpm over stock. He told me not to get that kit if unless I plan to upgrade OPG/CS.

By the way, why is hitting the limiter with a supercharger any worse than hitting it with a NA car? I think most techs agree that it is harmonics that break OPGs. The higher the rpm with a big supercharger stressing the crankshaft, the more nasty harmonics we might have. Maybe hitting the rev limiter also causes vibration/harmonics? Not sure....
Yea there’s been a few and yes the 1-2 shift is brutal, almost too brutal imo in drag mode but again it’s a rarity at stock power levels

Alex Flores raced his 10 teens at 140 15 GT for a LONG TIME, TVS setup and no OPG/CS and his opinion is STAY OFF THE LIMITER and you should be ok but you could take another car and it breaks.

Basically it’s a crap shoot...

I also agree with you, supercharged or na it doesn’t matter, OPG/CS breakage is imho is related to rpm, hitting the limiter and harmonics

I think about it all the time, in my car if I go EB or Whipple for peace of mind I’ll probably do them, if I go Roush P2 I wont touch them

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I have never heard of a Roush car breaking OPGs. It seems that it is mostly those with extreme power levels but there are exceptions. It is hard to say how often this happens. I am not changing mine even if I go Edelbrock or Whipple tuner kit. I am only looking for low 600s whp and stock shift points. Anything can happen but I will take my chances.

When I had a 2016 with a manual, I did accidentally hit the rev limiter a couple of times. It even happened once with my 2018 10A....due to driver stupidity. I was in sport mode and had engaged the paddles for my burnout. Pulled up to the line and forgot to slip it back into drive before launching. I will not be making that mistake again. Lol

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have never heard of a Roush car breaking OPGs. It seems that it is mostly those with extreme power levels but there are exceptions. It is hard to say how often this happens. I am not changing mine even if I go Edelbrock or Whipple tuner kit. I am only looking for low 600s whp and stock shift points. Anything can happen but I will take my chances.

When I had a 2016 with a manual, I did accidentally hit the rev limiter a couple of times. It even happened once with my 2018 10A....due to driver stupidity. I was in sport mode and had engaged the paddles for my burnout. Pulled up to the line and forgot to slip it back into drive before launching. I will not be making that mistake again. Lol

Honestly I just wanna see the P2 and VMP Kit already, this is getting crazy waiting for the release

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
VMP is installing their new 2018+ mustang kits now in their Florida shop.

Price for the kit is $8,900 plus you'll have to pay the labor for the install. No sure if this includes the tune, but IIRC, they said it did. It has not officially been released, but will be around the first of 2020.

So 10 grand+ if this is what you want.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
775 hp JR
125AD3B1-36FC-4735-B0B1-22EBF6E7C9A8.png

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
The 775HP rating for the JR was most likely done on an engine dyno under ideal conditions. I would expect to see a lower ET than a 10.7 with 775HP.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The 775HP rating for the JR was most likely done on an engine dyno under ideal conditions. I would expect to see a lower ET than a 10.7 with 775HP.
That’s a manual. Pretty good time for a brand new manual on non drag radials. They’re just trying to get close to the 10.6 of the gt500 which has the advantage of a dct

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
10.7 is impressive for a manual. I have 2 questions: Do I have to wait until November to run? Will it run similar ETs 3-4 times within an hour timeframe?