BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Some interesting info on this page. I'm curious as to how some of the pickup tube theory could be applied to the car ticking after its first oil change? I know some tick before it but it seems most I've read about come after that. I am still on my factory fill and don't have a tick so far. So I'm very interested in this thread as it may well affect me soon enough.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Some interesting info on this page. I'm curious as to how some of the pickup tube theory could be applied to the car ticking after its first oil change? I know some tick before it but it seems most I've read about come after that. I am still on my factory fill and don't have a tick so far. So I'm very interested in this thread as it may well affect me soon enough.
I think the tick showing up after an oil change shoots down the pick-up tube aeration theory and goes more along the friction between parts theory.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
I think the tick showing up after an oil change shoots down the pick-up tube aeration theory and goes more along the friction between parts theory.
Yeah that's what I think too but wondered if someone could offer a possible explanation to something I don't see thx!

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My tick started at around 3500 miles on factory fill...Cera Tec does wonders for getting rid of the tick btw. Also noticed at 8000mi on current oil change, engine is very quiet. I will bet it will be noisy again at next oil change. We will see.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
My tick started at around 3500 miles on factory fill...Cera Tec does wonders for getting rid of the tick btw. Also noticed at 8000mi on current oil change, engine is very quiet. I will bet it will be noisy again at next oil change. We will see.
How much Ceratec did you add by chance? I'm hoping to get the first oil change either tomorrow or next Saturday if I can get around all of the snow we got this week. My car should be ready to be put away but I was a bit slow doing it this year.

I'm about 4000 miles on my factory fill with no tick yet. I'd like to get it dumped out so the car has clean oil in it over the winter while stored. If it does tick right after the oil change I'm not going to do anything (except maybe cry lol) & will wait until the Spring to add the Ceratec once I begin driving the car again as I don't want it to settle anywhere while it sits. I'm hoping if I do need to use it that a half or no more than a full bottle corrects it so I can add it without any over fill issues later.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much Ceratec did you add by chance? I'm hoping to get the first oil change either tomorrow or next Saturday if I can get around all of the snow we got this week. My car should be ready to be put away but I was a bit slow doing it this year.

I'm about 4000 miles on my factory fill with no tick yet. I'd like to get it dumped out so the car has clean oil in it over the winter while stored. If it does tick right after the oil change I'm not going to do anything (except maybe cry lol) & will wait until the Spring to add the Ceratec once I begin driving the car again as I don't want it to settle anywhere while it sits. I'm hoping if I do need to use it that a half or no more than a full bottle corrects it so I can add it without any over fill issues later.
Sounds like a good plan. If you do need to add Ceratec, just add 1/2 bottle (150 cc) at a time until it goes away. As Condor1970 said before, adding 1/2 bottle to his car makes the tick disappear almost instantly.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sounds like a good plan. If you do need to add Ceratec, just add 1/2 bottle (150 cc) at a time until it goes away. As Condor1970 said before, adding 1/2 bottle to his car makes the tick disappear almost instantly.
That, and Ceratec is fairly pricey. Adding $25 for a whole bottle every oil change isn't something we should "have" to do. So, I add enough in my case to subdue the noise, and call it good. It really bugs me that I have to add this to make a $10,000 brand new engine run smoothly, but the car runs beautifully otherwise. So, I accept it for what it is, warts and all.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
That, and Ceratec is fairly pricey. Adding $25 for a whole bottle every oil change isn't something we should "have" to do. So, I add enough in my case to subdue the noise, and call it good. It really bugs me that I have to add this to make a $10,000 brand new engine run smoothly, but the car runs beautifully otherwise. So, I accept it for what it is, warts and all.
Well I'm from Scottish heritage which is a synonym for cheap so the less I have to spend the better:)

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

I add one bottle per oil change which is half the recommended amount.

Sponsored

VinnyVicci

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I had got the tick on factory oil. No tick at after an oil change. The only time the car ticks is after cold start. I drive it around and it never ticks again. Unless the car sits for 3 days not fired up. It ticks for 5 minutes then goes away.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
I took mine in for its first oil change today and there is a random tick at idle now but its really minor and truthfully if I wasn't a forum warrior I would have thought it was the exhaust shield or something. But of course I knew what to listen for and did as soon as I picked up the car. Truth be told it may have done it before when I wasn't trying to hear it but who knows. But here's the part that pissed me off today. Took the car to my selling dealer for the first time. I pointed out to the SA that this car requires 10 quarts (9.5 liters). He's like ya ya they check when they work on it. So I go back to pick it up check the invoice and its got 8 liters on it. So I start to de laminate just a little when I see that. He checks and I'm right because I post on M6G lol. So back in the car goes to get get topped up. I ask if this is the kind of service I can expect there for my car going forward and he's all apologetic says it won't happen again.

I was planning on calling back Monday maybe asking to speak to a manager about this. I don't want any free stuff from them but a proper apology or explanation or some kind of assurance I can expect better in the future. Am i wrong to do that? Is this a good way to handle this? I don't want to just ignore it but perhaps I should let it go and if it happens again say bye bye to them? I'm a reasonable guy so I don't go off on people but I can make my point when required adequately.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I pointed out to the SA that this car requires 10 quarts (9.5 liters). He's like ya ya they check when they work on it. So I go back to pick it up check the invoice and its got 8 liters on it. So I start to de laminate just a little when I see that. He checks and I'm right because I post on M6G lol. So back in the car goes to get get topped up. I ask if this is the kind of service I can expect there for my car going forward and he's all apologetic says it won't happen again.
It's amazing some dealership service departments still don't know the 2018+ Coyote takes 10 qts and not 8 ... and the car has been out 3+ years, lol.

If I was going to have an oil change done by anyone (which I don't do), I'd specifically tell them and even show them in the owner's manual how much oil the engine takes, and verify they know that fact before letting them touch the car.