Sponsored

Are posers and clickbait whores killing S550 and other muscle cars...

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Let's see, in the first post, you said 75,000 miles was well beyond the expected ownership life of the car. Maybe if you're high school age to mid twenties, maybe not. But I bought a 2002 Camaro SS and only sold it in 2014. I expect my 2019 Mustang GT will be around for well more than 10 years.

If it will only last 75,000 miles, it's pretty much junk. I certainly HOPE it is better than that!
Thank GM for inventing planned obsolescence...

Manufacturers expect you to buy a car about ever 60k miles that's why alot of wear parts are designed to fail around that time. And when their warranties end
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I have said this in many other threads that I actually think the MT-82 is a good transmission, I have never had one issue with lock outs, missed shifts, etc. The one factor that is not spoken about is driver interaction. I am not saying it is always the driver's fault, but some of these cars are beat on pretty hard, a new owner picks one up, jams the shifter into gear at max RPM and slams the clutch out, gets a lockout then calls the MT-82 junk, when it's clearly not. A lot of those stories are from tuned examples as well, and the hard shifts are coming north of 7000 RPM.

Of other note, there is definitely some hate towards the MT-82 from some of the new A10 owners, like choosing the MT-82 is ridiculous when the A10 is so much faster, the MT-82 is junk, etc. If you enjoy the A10 (it is a fantastic auto, no doubt) cool, enjoy it. For us MT-82 folks, we wanted to have direct control over gear selection using a clutch and shifter, I would gladly give up a few tenths at a drag strip for that connected feel over the car. In the end, I say enjoy what you have, and let others enjoy what they have without bashing it.
Yep the MT82 is a great transmission, when you think of the other OEM ford manual transmissions it becomes even more evident how good it really is.
The Mt82 and auto rivalry is nothing new and certainly nothing to be surprised about...lol! T5 and C4 guys have been arguing this for 30+ years.

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I'd prefer to have a fun vehicle that I don't have to wrench on unless I'm trying to extract more performance. I love driving manual transmission cars, but all I want to do is check fluids and air pressures in the tires, and drive the car.

Plus, it's harder to work on cars now, with 500 panels that need to be popped off to get to one bolt that requires a special tool to remove. I do a lot of my own work, but I also know what things I want to tackle, vs what I have no interest in doing.
The mustang is actually an anomally with New cars cause its actually very easy to work on... I wish they made the pigtail for the headlamps just a few inches longer then we wouldn't have to take off the bumper to change bulbs... But for what it is the cars pretty easy to wrench on.

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Only reason the new autos are faster than the manuals is gear ratios. 1st gear in the auto is 4.69. 1st gear in manual is 3.66. I remember doing the trans gear ratio * rear gear ratio, and it wasn't until 4th gear the manual would have greater torque multiplication. I'd love to see a manual get similar gearing to the auto to get a true apples to apples comparison of manual vs auto.
the auto would still win...

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I have said this in many other threads that I actually think the MT-82 is a good transmission, I have never had one issue with lock outs, missed shifts, etc. The one factor that is not spoken about is driver interaction. I am not saying it is always the driver's fault, but some of these cars are beat on pretty hard, a new owner picks one up, jams the shifter into gear at max RPM and slams the clutch out, gets a lockout then calls the MT-82 junk, when it's clearly not. A lot of those stories are from tuned examples as well, and the hard shifts are coming north of 7000 RPM.

Of other note, there is definitely some hate towards the MT-82 from some of the new A10 owners, like choosing the MT-82 is ridiculous when the A10 is so much faster, the MT-82 is junk, etc. If you enjoy the A10 (it is a fantastic auto, no doubt) cool, enjoy it. For us MT-82 folks, we wanted to have direct control over gear selection using a clutch and shifter, I would gladly give up a few tenths at a drag strip for that connected feel over the car. In the end, I say enjoy what you have, and let others enjoy what they have without bashing it.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Despite its quirks, I love having a manual car. I shift this car leisurely... what am I trying to prove anyway, right? Just having fun driving the car.

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Manuals disappeared in the new generation Corvette. I just ditched my 2018 GS 7spd for a 19 GT 6spd.
Had 3 manual Corvettes and they each had their own share of problems. The clutch on the Mustang is 100 X better than the one on the vettes. People just like to whine about minor bull$hit.

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP

Exactly man. I agree most owners CANNOT drive... And are pushing 800whp through a tranny designed for 435vand are bitching about it breaking... Well no shit...

I've never had transmission lock out but i also dont rev above 6800 RPMS. This car is a street car not a competition vehicle... And if you want to make it a competition capable vehicle you can... You can get the MGW and a racing clutch, you can swap in a tremec. You have options. If you put in the cash and some wrench time.

As for the A10 yes it's great but it's still an auto... I love the little things about manual. Like pulling into a spot. Just holding the clutch in to float the car backwards then liifting to straighten up.

And of course nailing the perfect heel and toe downshift... Best feeling ever. Yes a computer can do it for you but it's not the same as knowing you nailed it by practicing for months and getting a feel for what the car liked. It's a reward for all the hardwork you put into it.

Stack all of that up and yes you may go slower but I personally have so much more fun rowing 6 gears...

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
All that said the best feeling manual ive ever driven,was in,a Mazda RX8... And I'll happily take the notchy clunky mt82 over rotary problems any day of the week...

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I feel this. Seriously. It's a piece of machinery. It will break.

When I was getting versed in my parted together mustang back in early 2000's. I felt inferior to my car friends because I didn't already know the basics. Now I can tell ya how to bleed the coolant on the old windsor 3.8 and how to tell if you're pcv is all you need to get the engine running better. Along with a install of suspension parts. Tire Rods, and all these other spots where I could find some cheap parts at the store to upgrade and keep her goin. Shit, at 130K I threw in some Lucas in the transmission to keep her running good and it wasn't till the torque converter was worn out just shy of 200K on a technically free car. That she had to be put down. The repair was enough for a stable manual Civic Si to get me through the last half of college and my early career.

Now. I kinda was that guy that wanted to buy it OEM ready for the track just because I don't have an auto garage I can go to that was my buddies on the West Coast. So I plan on being under this car doing my own maintenance and keeping her in tip top shape. It's stark difference from having a car you bought after it was torn apart by the FBI. Literally spent a year and a half learning the car over to figure out one problem was the damn Key. Fucking learned how to tear down and put back together the entire air intake system. We fucked up the recirculation valve on the reinstall but that was an easy fix. And she turned over like a kitten. I really missed bombing through the Pennsylvania hills in that car. Friends would catch me taking insane on ramp loops on to the highway and tell their friends they know exactly who that son of a bitch is. Good times. I guess it was an old Cartel drug running car too. So the governor was removed. Great memories. Now for this automatic version I built of the Bullit without that 350 intake. Which after my warranty. I plan on installing.

Pretty boys on social media. Are just much louder because of their clickbait. Stangmode at least is humble about his shit. He knows he's going to break it.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly man. I agree most owners CANNOT drive... And are pushing 800whp through a tranny designed for 435vand are bitching about it breaking... Well no shit...

I've never had transmission lock out but i also dont rev above 6800 RPMS. This car is a street car not a competition vehicle... And if you want to make it a competition capable vehicle you can... You can get the MGW and a racing clutch, you can swap in a tremec. You have options. If you put in the cash and some wrench time.

As for the A10 yes it's great but it's still an auto... I love the little things about manual. Like pulling into a spot. Just holding the clutch in to float the car backwards then liifting to straighten up.

And of course nailing the perfect heel and toe downshift... Best feeling ever. Yes a computer can do it for you but it's not the same as knowing you nailed it by practicing for months and getting a feel for what the car liked. It's a reward for all the hardwork you put into it.

Stack all of that up and yes you may go slower but I personally have so much more fun rowing 6 gears...
I ended up destroying my spine from power lifting and playing injured. So after my last manual. I had to hang it up. But this A10, has been an amazing surprise. I'm happy with the car by far.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Only reason the new autos are faster than the manuals is gear ratios. 1st gear in the auto is 4.69. 1st gear in manual is 3.66. I remember doing the trans gear ratio * rear gear ratio, and it wasn't until 4th gear the manual would have greater torque multiplication. I'd love to see a manual get similar gearing to the auto to get a true apples to apples comparison of manual vs auto.
Do you really want a 10 speed manual?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
*Insert big wrong game show buzzer sound here*

Doesn’t matter if you match the gears in a manual trans to that of a modern day auto - the auto will still out shift the manual, even if you cloned the best world driver and had him/her in both cars.

just facts

The auto transmissions will just be getting better and better as time progresses. That’s not to say the manual transmissions will not also get better, because they will technologically advance too - but in the end the auto will still be the faster of the two regarding actual shift points and timing.

I’m also not saying this because I own a 10R80 equipped S550 - because I’ve owned my fair share of vehicles with a manual transmission.

The fault with shifting a manual trans lies with the human. A human who is manually shifting leaves too many variables for error as well as the actual time (delay) to shift.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Frankly after having owned more than a couple modern American made muscle cars with manual transmissions including a 2013 track pack Mustang GT I think the Mt-82 is a POS and won't ever buy another ford manual trans equipped car again. my Camaro SS and Challenger with the tr6060 was phenomenal compared to the MT-82

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
not even remotely true. first of all an Auto is putting power to the pavement 100% of the time when accelerating. second an A10 auto can shift faster than any stick shift can. add in torque multiplication by the converter when launching and it makes for a very good combination.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Land of the free right...
Yup, and I always wonder how they got that way. Who let the dogs out?

Lots of them obviously, clearly, without question, just like to hear themselves talk.
Sponsored