Hub centric question

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Okay, this probably a dumb question, but here goes. Do I need hub centric rings if buying aftermarket wheels? Generally considering the SVE S350 and MRR600, unless my bonus comes in significantly higher than expected, then I might jump to some Velgans, but I'm not familiar with the whole hub ring thing. The last time I was buying aftermarket wheels, they were either chrome Cragar SSs or the old aluminum slots for the old Chevelle.

Is there a disadvantage to buying wheels that need hub rings over ones that don't? Do the hub rings wear out?

This boomer needs some education please.
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Lol! This will start a huge discussion!
Vendors will say yes it’s an absolute must, as will those listening to internet “experts”, nothing what so ever against vendors they’re trying to sell a product. Many OEM wheels and aftermarket wheels are not hub centric they rely on the friction provided by the torqued lugnuts to hold the wheel on, and the design of the conical lugs centers the wheel to the hub.
If you road race or off road then hub centric wheels give an extra measure of safety. There is no reason to not use hub centric rings on any wheel however! but given that most are plastic their only real use is to help center the wheel to the hub.
There’s thousands of us old guys that have modified cars and have never had hub centric wheels and have never lost a wheel, a big true here is if you apply enough torque through the drive train or have an impact hard enough to break the studs a hub centric ring will not keep the wheel on, ever.
Blow the picture up, focus on the driver side rear wheel, yes it was hub centric but he lost the tire anyway....no real damage and he has gone to larger ARP studs
FA2DB648-7255-4012-9D76-FF268E1FB640.jpeg

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe you need the rings for either of those wheels because they are designed to fit Mustangs. With some aftermarket wheels you do because they are designed to fit multiple models of cars. Any aftermarket wheel seller should know whether you need them for your particular car and include them. If the wheels need them it's not a concern.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe you need the rings for either of those wheels because they are designed to fit Mustangs. With some aftermarket wheels you do because they are designed to fit multiple models of cars. Any aftermarket wheel seller should know whether you need them for your particular car and include them. If the wheels need them it's not a concern.
I'm using the term "need" loosely for reasons evident in the first reply to your post. :)

Wheel_Guy

Wheel_Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Convert 401A PP1
They're not required however it is an inexpensive item that can save a lot of headaches, spend the $7.00.

Sponsored

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
@kent0464 thanks for the info. @Wheel_Guy I'm not concerned about the $7. I just didn't know if I needed to buy them. Looking at the MRR600s, one website says specifically that that they do not come with hub rings and that they need to purchased separately. Yet on other websites, no mention of needing the hub ring.

@MidwayJ I know, I can just ask MRR, but for some reason, I'm trying to learn a little. I'd much rather know for sure if and why I need them.

Thanks all for the info. This oldish guy is slowly learning all the new car stuff. Sometimes I think it was much easier when you could get just about any part for for a small blaock chevy for under 200 bucks, nothing was held on with more than 10 bolts and there were only 4 or 5 wires under the hood. But then, the old Chevelle was never as nice and nowhere near as quick as the stang!

DarrenMRRWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
M600

Features
  • MRR Flow Forged Construction
  • Hub Centric to Mustang
  • Accept 6th gen OE Mustang caps
Standard Finishes
  • Gun Metal
  • Satin Black

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
@kent0464 thanks for the info. @Wheel_Guy I'm not concerned about the $7. I just didn't know if I needed to buy them. Looking at the MRR600s, one website says specifically that that they do not come with hub rings and that they need to purchased separately. Yet on other websites, no mention of needing the hub ring.

@MidwayJ I know, I can just ask MRR, but for some reason, I'm trying to learn a little. I'd much rather know for sure if and why I need them.

Thanks all for the info. This oldish guy is slowly learning all the new car stuff. Sometimes I think it was much easier when you could get just about any part for for a small blaock chevy for under 200 bucks, nothing was held on with more than 10 bolts and there were only 4 or 5 wires under the hood. But then, the old Chevelle was never as nice and nowhere near as quick as the stang!
If hub centering rings are available for the wheels you intend to use by all means do it. The sole purpose for them is to ensure the rim is as perfectly centered on the hub as possible to help ensure the wheel spins true so vibrations will be minimized from tire imbalance. Though the lug seats in the rim seem like they would do the job to center the wheel this does not work perfectly in practice and is really why centering rings exist. Hub centricity has absolutely nothing to do with wheel security with respect to holding the wheel onto the hub. That is solely the job of the studs and lug nuts. You can easily get away with not using centering rings but there is no downside to using them.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
If hub centering rings are available for the wheels you intend to use by all means do it. The sole purpose for them is to ensure the rim is as perfectly centered on the hub as possible to help ensure the wheel spins true so vibrations will be minimized from tire imbalance. Though the lug seats in the rim seem like they would do the job to center the wheel this does not work perfectly in practice and is really why centering rings exist. Hub centricity has absolutely nothing to do with wheel security with respect to holding the wheel onto the hub. That is solely the job of the studs and lug nuts. You can easily get away with not using centering rings but there is no downside to using them.
Perfect! Now I just need to pry open the wallet and buy some damn wheels!