Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm we are all coming to conclusions that have zero basis in fact. We are all so butthurt by Ford using our name that we cannot see anything else. Why don't we wait until the Mach-E is released, built, and tested. Then we can crap all over it. :)
Speak for yourself, not for me, please. Seems pretty clear that anything that the CUV gains from this will be coming at the expense of the Mustang as the very definition of "ponycar".

By the way, when I owned an Infiniti G37x I test drove the then new Q50 with electric steering. It was horrible, worse than a video game. I recently drove a new Q50 and the steering was pretty damn good. All of these electronics can be adjusted to just about anything we want.
No doubt that it's possible to improve EPAS. It's also possible to do things with EPAS that are completely outside what a steering system should do, more or less like having a little monkey with his own steering wheel between you at the real steering wheel and the wheels. Can't see this being a good thing unless you're already on board with being personally carted around autonomously. How many of these adjustments in EPAS calibrations are likely to be aimed at performance driving, vs how many toward making driving even more effortless (and mindless) for the masses?

Norm
Sponsored

Hayburner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Will this impact my decision to purchase a new Ford , let alone a mustang ? Damn right it will. It completely deterred me from purchasing a Ford , of anything. Sticking it to all of us high performance mustang owners , by putting that emblem and name on this , to me is Ford giving us the middle finger. If you’ve only ever owned a V6 you’re whole life , you couldnt probably care less. I came home from the hospital in the back of a 70 mach 1. These cars are my life. This is sickening

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Personally I cannot grasp the fact that Bill Ford approved this. They must have drugged him or something.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, of course it's about brand loyalty. When my friend with his GT2 needed a larger vehicle where do you think he would look first? That said, if the Cayenne (a Turbo in his case) wasn't as great a SUV as it is he would have looked elsewhere.

My wife has had Ford SUV/CUV's since 1998. Long before I bought my mustang. Why? It was the best vehicle for the money at the time. And yes we are Ford people. Since my 1966 Fairlane GTA. And when we are in the market for a new CUV, the Mach-E will be on the list. Because of my Mustang? Not really. Because it's a Ford? Definitely.
So neither you nor your friend needs your SUVs/CUVs to be tagged with your favorite car company's sportier nameplates in order to at least start your searches there. Got it.

This clusterf feels like it was taken straight out of the pages of an MBA textbook, where you learn about management in the absence of any real feel for product. Hmmmm . . . Steelcase . . . interchangeable executives.

Norm

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Many 911, Cayman & Boxster owners has Cayenne's. And not just because they are comfortable and need a vehicle to carry the kids around (although it is and they do :)). They are true performance vehicles. Go drive one and you will understand.
Yet none of those Cayennes are named 911. And that is because Porsche employs clever brand managers, whereas Ford employs idiot brand managers.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yet none of those Cayennes are named 911. And that is because Porsche employs clever brand managers, whereas Ford employs idiot brand managers.
Porsche is an iconic manufacturers name for high performance sports cars. Their brand managers start from there and then create iconic model names. Ford is an iconic name for a manufacturer of all kinds of vehicles. The only iconic brands they have are Mustang and F150. There is a difference. Ford does not have idiot brand managers. They have brand managers who do what their bosses tell them to do. Somebody way, way up the ladder wanted to use Mustang as a brand for the future. And that's exactly what the brand managers did.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Speak for yourself, not for me, please. Seems pretty clear that anything that the CUV gains from this will be coming at the expense of the Mustang as the very definition of "ponycar".
Sorry Norm, I've corrected my original post. I was just speaking in general terms. the comment was not aimed at anyone in particular. And i agree that any Mustang branded vehicle that is not a 2 door, 2+2 coupe will be at the expense of our Mustang.

How many of these adjustments in EPAS calibrations are likely to be aimed at performance driving, vs how many toward making driving even more effortless (and mindless) for the masses?
Depends on the type of vehicle it is. Is it a base F150 or a Raptor? A base EB Mustang or a GT500? The good news is that engineers will be able to adapt a good EPAS system for both ends of the spectrum.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Gotta agree with this. Not that they are idiots necessarily, but this was a poor decision. Why not call it the E-Xplorer, or E-Scape? Ford has established some branding with their SUVs all being "E" (Escape, Explorer, Expedition, Excursion). It seems much more logical if Ford had gone with the "E" naming convention for an "E"lectric crossover.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Ford is far behind on the EV game that they used the Mustang name to attract potential customers. Not going to work. The Mach E is a nice attempt to enter the EV market, but its the range, charging network etc.. that will decide if its even worth it. Tesla is already light years ahead of everyone.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)