Sponsored

Blown GT350 Motors- 13 cases from Youtube

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
I can guarantee you that just about any performance car with a following has just as many if not more blown engines/transmissions, in proportion to numbers built.

Gt-r? Yup. 911? Yup. Wrx? Yup. Corvettes? Yup. Audi’s? Yup. Camaros? Yup. Vw gti? Yup. Focus? Yup. 370? Yup.

The list goes on. If anyone tries to find any trouble with any car, you will find it. Including 90’s Camrys (the supposed golden age of Toyota’s) with oil sludge issues and etc. OP is making a mountain out of an ant hill.
Sponsored

Mpt233

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
17 gt350
I can guarantee you that just about any performance car with a following has just as many if not more blown engines/transmissions, in proportion to numbers built.

Gt-r? Yup. 911? Yup. Wrx? Yup. Corvettes? Yup. Audi’s? Yup. Camaros? Yup. Vw gti? Yup. Focus? Yup. 370? Yup.

The list goes on. If anyone tries to find any trouble with any car, you will find it. Including 90’s Camrys (the supposed golden age of Toyota’s) with oil sludge issues and etc. OP is making a mountain out of an ant hill.
I agree that failures are part of the performance car game. I think the main concern a lot of people have has more to do with the high cost of a replacement long block. I mean a gtr costs twice a much but you can get a long block for much less than a voodoo.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I agree that failures are part of the performance car game. I think the main concern a lot of people have has more to do with the high cost of a replacement long block. I mean a gtr costs twice a much but you can get a long block for much less than a voodoo.
Bullshit. R35 long blocks are $25k on eBay

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
those are builds....they're not long blocks....you still need to supply the block

GT1R Stage 1
  • 3.8 long block build
  • Diamond pistons/rings/upgraded pins (3.8L displacement)
  • Manley rods
  • GT1R main stud kit
  • OEM bearings
  • All machine work on short block
  • Balance rotating assembly
  • Blueprint and assemble long block
  • Clean and inspect cylinder head
  • OEM Nissan gasket kit
  • OEM tensioners, guides, water pump, seals, etc.
  • GT1R MLS Head Gasket.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
It'd be hilarious if he bought a GTR shell and budgeted $10k for the engine and just had an "fuck me" moment.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have a friend who’s owned a good number of sports cars including a couple modern exotics (GTR, Gen 4 Viper ACR, Scuderia, and now a F458 and GT3 RS). He’s a true car guy and always finds great things to say about a car. He said the GTR was the most uninspired car he’s owned therefore made a great daily when he didn’t want to feel like driving a sports car. After that it lost what little appeal it had to me.

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
Not to beat a dead horse here but out of the documented "engine failures", I would love to know a few things:

1) How many of these owners were disciplined in checking their oil levels constantly.
2) Had they recently gone in for an oil change (low fill problem or wrong viscosity from $10/hour quick lube tech?)
3) Break-in procedure

Show me engine failure on a vehicle whose owner knows how to break a motor in properly, who constantly monitors oil levels and is competently changing their own oil using a higher quality oil than Motorcraft 50 weight... then I'll be more concerned.

There are so many variables involved it's mind blowing. For every video on youtube documenting an engine issue, there are several thousand people driving around in their GT350s, super happy with their purchase.

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Not to beat a dead horse here but out of the documented "engine failures", I would love to know a few things:

1) How many of these owners were disciplined in checking their oil levels constantly.
2) Had they recently gone in for an oil change (low fill problem or wrong viscosity from $10/hour quick lube tech?)
3) Break-in procedure
Been discussed ad nauseam with no way to answer.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Yay more hysteria threads.

https://thesoundofvoodoo.com/articles/gt350-engine-failure-by-the-numbers/

3) Break-in procedure

Show me engine failure on a vehicle whose owner knows how to break a motor in properly, who constantly monitors oil levels and is competently changing their own oil using a higher quality oil than Motorcraft 50 weight... then I'll be more concerned.

There are so many variables involved it's mind blowing. For every video on youtube documenting an engine issue, there are several thousand people driving around in their GT350s, super happy with their purchase.
I've been through 2 engine replacements.

1. Oil was checked every 250 miles and logged in an Excel for tracking.

2. I did my own oil changes with AMSOIL.

3. Methodical break in for the first 100 miles. Changed factory fill at 1000 miles.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Have any of you guys owning cars in other platforms seen a youtube cluster like that? Or similar gloom and doom?

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Have any of you guys owning cars in other platforms seen a youtube cluster like that? Or similar gloom and doom?
I don’t know about YouTube but in forums and Facebook groups yes. I own a JL Wrangler and people lose their minds over death wobble. Same with some limited reports of the 4cylinder turbo having issues with the extra battery.

But yeah Focus RS, Subaru WRX/STI, Corvette, etc.
Sponsored