Sponsored

19 R vs 20 R differences/thoughts

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
unfortunately we didn't get the chance to look at how they are different side by side, just got couple laps in the 20s and I've tracked with a 19 R a couple times before so I just made a comparison based on what I felt driving them.
Thanks! The reason I am asking is that small changes in toe and camber up front can give you quite a different 'feel' so I was curious if they were the similar.
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I find that my 18 R gives me plenty of feed back on the steering. It lets me know I'm on the street by giving me feed back about every crack, crevice, dip and bump it rolls over. It also gives me plenty of feed back on the smooth freshly made asphalt track like roads by gliding as if it were on glass and rails at the same time. I love it and I wouldn't have it dumbed or numbed down in any way. To me that's engagement.

OP
OP
awildpony

awildpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
not saying there isn't feedback, steering feel is there but not as much as I'd expect and like. I'm talking about that initial turn in and entry into a corner specifically on track, not necessary just what you feel from the road. It certainly does its job but could be better, though hard to do since it has a big v8 at the front. Don't think anyone would want steering to be numbed down on these cars, we're talking about how it could be improved. It's hard to explain with words, keep in mind this is all personal opinion, they are definitely good steering in general but to me there just isn't clear communication you'd expect and they are not the most confidence inspiring... however the 20s improved on this part by a little.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
What are everyones guesses for the 2020MY?

How many 350Rs will be produced?
Will their be a 2021?

Sponsored

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
Well i pulled the trigger on a 2019R, The extra 5k for 2020 pushed it to close to GT500 land. The whole point for me to get the R was to save 25k off the 500 i was in line to get.

I look forward to bringing home my first shelby on wed, got a busy weekend to get the garage ready.

ebdbDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
just recently drove a 2020 gt350r, thought i'd share little driving impression vs the 19 R

2020 R updates are suspension changes. Many including me thought FP just did it to streamline production and its not worth the price increase. Since now I drove it, there is a little bit difference worth talking about.

I never found steering feel in the R as good as I like but i've been spoiled by hydraulic and driving with mclaren on track. In the R, I just don't seem to find good feedback from the steering. I love the R for its balance and sound, it responds to your input beautifully on track and is very precise. My main complaint is steering feel but it's not a big deal compared to how good everything else is. Doesn't mean the steering is bad, it points precisely to where I want it to go, but just don't feel much connected. I never experienced any tramlining issue with my R, maybe because where I live have smoother roads. This car is really hard to improve on.

When I drove the 20 R, I noticed the way it turns is not exactly "better" but the best way to put it is more confidence inspiring. Same precise turn in, but it turns more rapidly and sharper, the car seem to turn more with the same steering input, don't know if it actually happens or it's just a feeling, but its a good setting. The front end still feels heavy in some corners like before (ofc its front engine), but the weight is handled better as it doesn't bother the steering as much as before through corners. The steering feel is improved a little bit but not by alot, but I'm happy with what they did. There is definitely an improvement, but I don't think most people including me will notice on the road, unless we're pushing it on the track.

Brakes are amazing as always, not much to say here. The 20Rs have solid rotors that should be more durable in the long run, but in the short track time i had with it, it felt the same like before (no fade, strong bite) which is a good thing.

On road I never got tramlining issues so I don't know how much improvement to tramlining there is with the 20 R. Driving the 20 R on road you can hardly tell theres a difference to previous ones. Maybe a little more feel in spirited driving on a backroad with twisty turns, but on track is where you want to be with these cars.

just some quick impressions to share if anyone's curious about actual differences. If you have anything different or other thoughts feel free to discuss.
As a 2020 R owner, I agree! I would like to make the steering 15-20% faster. do we have any way of doing this?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
that seems most likely, but where did you get confirmation of No 21?

Licensing but, what is a definite no can change. Just very unlikely in this climate

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
While in Michigan last May I had a conversation with a Ford employee who seemed to be in the know at which time I was told during that conversation that the 2020 model year will be the only time that we will see both the GT350 and the GT500 go down the FR assembly line simultaneously.

Make your own assumptions and take that statement for what it is worth.

Sponsored

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
While in Michigan last May I had a conversation with a Ford employee who seemed to be in the know at which time I was told during that conversation that the 2020 model year will be the only time that we will see both the GT350 and the GT500 go down the FR assembly line simultaneously.

Make your own assumptions and take that statement for what it is worth.
For you and Tim @svttim who seem to be quite connected, I was part of what was likely the last Niche line tour at Romeo. Unfortunately, shortly after our tour they announced the plant closing.
While there, it was confirmed that the UAW and Ford had contracts to build the Voodoo and Predator engines together for the next 2 years, which I took to mean ‘20 and ‘21 MYs. As the 500 was guaranteed at least a 2-year production run, and as someone who has an allocation for a second year ‘21 MY car, I’m trying to pay attention.
FP and Jim Owens mentioned demand for FP products are actually the highest now than ever before, so until the next S650 or Mustang redesign, my guess is the 350/350R and both 500s continue on.
I mean who thought the 350s would still be in production since ‘15?!
-J

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
For you and Tim @svttim who seem to be quite connected, I was part of what was likely the last Niche line tour at Romeo. Unfortunately, shortly after our tour they announced the plant closing.
While there, it was confirmed that the UAW and Ford had contracts to build the Voodoo and Predator engines together for the next 2 years, which I took to mean ‘20 and ‘21 MYs. As the 500 was guaranteed at least a 2-year production run, and as someone who has an allocation for a second year ‘21 MY car, I’m trying to pay attention.
FP and Jim Owens mentioned demand for FP products are actually the highest now than ever before, so until the next S650 or Mustang redesign, my guess is the 350/350R and both 500s continue on.
I mean who thought the 350s would still be in production since ‘15?!
-J
As I said. it can change in one meeting at Ford. :)
Sponsored