FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The new crate motor was only about $3k (service engine) and included pretty much everything but the exhaust manifold and turbo. That's not bad.
where did you get it from? I am curious incase mine blows. I wouldn't mind 3k for a new engine.
Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Intercooler is always a good upgrade, these turbo 4s heat soak like crazy, that’s my next move too . I have the same issue, the dealer put the pro cal tune on a flash drive , not the stock tune. The stock tune automatically uploades to the pro cal 3 folder where the ford performed tune is, it should have your vin in the name of the folder where the pro cal 3 downloads to as well as the stock tune. I have to go back to get the stock tune and try again because these dealerships are not very educated on these FP tunes and mods. Colder plugs are not necessary for the tune, it’s a mild tune. Catch cans are always good to reduce the carbon buildup . If the dealership actually installed the pro cal 3 tune, then the stock tune is there. If not stock tune is on the techs laptop, then they didn’t install the pro cal 3 tune properly. Are u using full synthetic ? I assume you are. Knock is from poor quality/ wrong octane fuel, uneven fuel burning , injectors not spraying even amounts of gas , hella carbon buildup in the intakes , bad plugs. I means theres a multitude of things . Any other mods to the car?
stock tune and fp tune is combined into a single file, from the fp tune file you can revert back to stock.

stratocaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Intercooler is always a good upgrade, these turbo 4s heat soak like crazy, that’s my next move too . I have the same issue, the dealer put the pro cal tune on a flash drive , not the stock tune. The stock tune automatically uploades to the pro cal 3 folder where the ford performed tune is, it should have your vin in the name of the folder where the pro cal 3 downloads to as well as the stock tune. I have to go back to get the stock tune and try again because these dealerships are not very educated on these FP tunes and mods. Colder plugs are not necessary for the tune, it’s a mild tune. Catch cans are always good to reduce the carbon buildup . If the dealership actually installed the pro cal 3 tune, then the stock tune is there. If not stock tune is on the techs laptop, then they didn’t install the pro cal 3 tune properly. Are u using full synthetic ? I assume you are. Knock is from poor quality/ wrong octane fuel, uneven fuel burning , injectors not spraying even amounts of gas , hella carbon buildup in the intakes , bad plugs. I means theres a multitude of things . Any other mods to the car?
Yeah, Ford Performance also said colder plugs shouldn't be necessary (though, surprisingly the dealer recommended colder plugs with the tune).

Yes, I'm using full synthetic - Amsoil (though I'll probably go with Mobile 1 next time around until the new oil standard is available). I can only guess the gas where I live is slightly marginal. I haven't tried Chevron yet, but I will. Shell has been the best so far.

My car only has about 10,000 miles on it, so I doubt there's much build up.

Other than the catch cans and the tune, no mods.

Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Yeah, Ford Performance also said colder plugs shouldn't be necessary (though, surprisingly the dealer recommended colder plugs with the tune).

Yes, I'm using full synthetic - Amsoil (though I'll probably go with Mobile 1 next time around until the new oil standard is available). I can only guess the gas where I live is slightly marginal. I haven't tried Chevron yet, but I will. Shell has been the best so far.

My car only has about 10,000 miles on it, so I doubt there's much build up.

Other than the catch cans and the tune, no mods.
Yes FP is 100% correct the only people who were pushing for colder plugs were vendors and people followed blindly, imagine that. If you look at the technical heat range graph you will see that 300-400 HP stock plugs heat range falls under is correct I think one step colder was over 400+ hp that is why the 1 step plugs would foul so quickly, even the the Focus RS uses the same plugs. Always do your research before fking with something. As for the CC I was not convinced either it would make a difference or not, I'm almost 43k no CC how would the build up compare to someone with one, no one knows for a fact, it's all theory. All I know is always take what vendors say with a grain of salt.

FourdBanger18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Ran a 8.6 in the 1/8th mile with the 2018 Ford Performance Calibration. 10spd running Nitto INVOS, 1.9 60foot, at 81.95 mph. Now going with PD tuning. Got some clips @fourd_banger on Instagram.

Sir Jynx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Anyone know a dealership that will install this in AZ? Sanderson won't install unless I buy from them, Earnhardt says only a Ford Racing certified dealer can install it and maintain warranty. San Tan never answers the phone, Chapman won't install it unless I take off my Rousch intake and go back to the stock box and let them install the filter the kit comes with so they aren't "liable" since the tune was specifically made for that filter. Camelback and Horne are scummy dealerships I won't work with. Help would be appreciated.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The warranty document from Ford Performance is very clear that the tune does NOT have to be installed by a Ford dealer, just an ASE certified technician.

I installed mine myself and had my son print me a receipt for 1 hour of labor. I emailed that and the receipt for purchasing the kit and a copy of my son's ASE certificate to Ford Performance and had confirmation of the warranty be registered in 2 hours.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Anyone know a dealership that will install this in AZ? Sanderson won't install unless I buy from them, Earnhardt says only a Ford Racing certified dealer can install it and maintain warranty. San Tan never answers the phone, Chapman won't install it unless I take off my Rousch intake and go back to the stock box and let them install the filter the kit comes with so they aren't "liable" since the tune was specifically made for that filter. Camelback and Horne are scummy dealerships I won't work with. Help would be appreciated.
It just needs to be installed by an asc certified mechanic. No requirement that a dealer does it.

Sponsored

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
Hi! Let me break the silence on this threat with a quick question.

Okay... say I wanted to add an aftermarket cold-air intake. (per-say the C&J, or the Roush one). Per say I also wanted to get a full exhaust system for "power-gains" as well.

With those two... - what tune would I get?

The Roush and/or C&J cold-air intakes come with their own tunes for the car. (At least the roush one does for sure).
I've also heard that I'd need to tune the car for the full exhaust system...

So, how the hell would that work with 3 different "Types" of tunes?

-----------
If I get the Roush intake, and the full exhaust system. - do I just ignore the roush tune, and skip to the FP tune?

Or will I have too many things, and have to move up to Cobb?

----

Last question: - How reliable/bad is it for the engine/life of my car if I add an Exhaust System & a bigger intake? - Doesn't that just "help" the car?

Thank you!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you don't HAVE to load a tune for any of them. The gains from a CAI are basically nothing. The exhaust also does little unless you de-cat and go with a race system which I imagine is highly illegal in Cali. If the Roush intake comes with a tune, use that and it'll do good enough. The Ford original tune is pretty lousy and any aftermarket tune will be an improvement.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Hi! Let me break the silence on this threat with a quick question.

Okay... say I wanted to add an aftermarket cold-air intake. (per-say the C&J, or the Roush one). Per say I also wanted to get a full exhaust system for "power-gains" as well.

With those two... - what tune would I get?

The Roush and/or C&J cold-air intakes come with their own tunes for the car. (At least the roush one does for sure).
I've also heard that I'd need to tune the car for the full exhaust system...

So, how the hell would that work with 3 different "Types" of tunes?

-----------
If I get the Roush intake, and the full exhaust system. - do I just ignore the roush tune, and skip to the FP tune?

Or will I have too many things, and have to move up to Cobb?

----

Last question: - How reliable/bad is it for the engine/life of my car if I add an Exhaust System & a bigger intake? - Doesn't that just "help" the car?

Thank you!
The way i see it, is that the FP and Roush tunes are each tailored to their own very specific configuration. For example, the FP tune is optimized for the intake being the only modification. The Cobb OTS tunes, while they have 3 different options, are still each tailored to a specific setup, but at least there are options to handle other mods. These canned tunes, since they will be used on lots of cars, are also probably tuned to with plenty of margin for error built in to accommodate variances from one motor to the next. But with a Cobb AP, you have to option of moving to a pro tune, and a pro tune can grow and change with you, any time you want it to, with any mod you feel like doing. Its also tweaked for your individual car, instead of being generic to accommodate the masses. All things considered, I personally, wouldn't buy a tune that is only good for one specific setup, with no room to adjust without buying a whole new tune.

For the CAI, don't bother unless you want it for looks. The stock one flows better than most aftermarket, and is sealed so you don't pull in hot air from under the hood. Just get an Airaid intake tube, high flow drop in filter, and be done.

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
The way i see it, is that the FP and Roush tunes are each tailored to their own very specific configuration. For example, the FP tune is optimized for the intake being the only modification. The Cobb OTS tunes, while they have 3 different options, are still each tailored to a specific setup, but at least there are options to handle other mods. These canned tunes, since they will be used on lots of cars, are also probably tuned to with plenty of margin for error built in to accommodate variances from one motor to the next. But with a Cobb AP, you have to option of moving to a pro tune, and a pro tune can grow and change with you, any time you want it to, with any mod you feel like doing. Its also tweaked for your individual car, instead of being generic to accommodate the masses. All things considered, I personally, wouldn't buy a tune that is only good for one specific setup, with no room to adjust without buying a whole new tune.

For the CAI, don't bother unless you want it for looks. The stock one flows better than most aftermarket, and is sealed so you don't pull in hot air from under the hood. Just get an Airaid intake tube, high flow drop in filter, and be done.
What a beautifully explained answer! Thank you so much!

Seems like a pro tune would be the best option? That way I can contact the Pro-Tuner, and send files directly about my car. - Where can I get one? - Or direct me to the best type/a list of some to choose from.
And most definitely for the looks and the sound, haha! - Will..it hinder my performance? (The CAI)
|
Sponsored